
Oh, where to begin... Well, we're back from our trip and the tiredness has set in now that we've been home for a day. I think the 10 days of non-stop on the go time has caught up to us. Tyler and I are both pretty exhausted today! But, we wouldn't change a thing since we had an absolutely wonderful time in Idaho. I took an insane amount of pictures while I was there, which I will try to post over the next couple of days. But in the mean time, I figured I better get a list down of all the highlights and lowlights of our trip so I don't forget them!
Highlights:
*Breathing cool dry air again and sleeping with the windows open at night
*Watching Tyler run as fast as his little legs could carry him to see Grandma Thalgott, Hillary, and Cash at the airport
*Being in the temple with my family for my sister Angie's wedding
*Making it in time for some of my Grandma Andersen's 75th birthday party
*Eating fresh raspberries from my mom's garden for breakfast
*Cooking out several nights at the Thalgott house, which often included fresh corn on the cob. YUM!
*Having Garrett meet up with us for a few days of the trip
*Sitting in various backyards and visiting with sisters, sisters-in-law, moms, and the like--all while listening to the sounds of our kids playing
*Our (Tyler's and mine) first experience of flying in First Class. We got to do this on our way back to NOLA yesterday. Talk about luxury! I can see why people say it's the only way to fly! And Tyler was ecstatic about having a "big seat". Like he needs one! :) I'm thinking his 8 month pregnant mom should have been the one to be ecstatic about that! But I highly doubt I'll be having that experience again any time soon.
*The annual shopping trip with my sister Marilee (oh yeah and the kids, which did mean we had a major double meltdown at the end, but we'll still consider this a highlight, nontheless!)
*Garrett and his dad's golf outing
*Garrett and his dad's trip to "throw some lead in the air" (shooting guns, for those of you not familiar with the lingo--just learned it myself a few days ago!)
*Seeing lots of friends and family I haven't seen in ages at Angie's wedding reception
*Hearing Tyler's vocabulary expand in leaps and bounds and hearing the things he still talks about the trip. It's fun to realize all the things he remembers!
And the following would probably be considered highlights mostly for Tyler, but since they were such a highlight for him, they were of course highlights for me too. He talks about these constantly.
*Playing in the sandbox
*Going for a tractor ride with Grandpa Andersen (on a REAL green tractor)
*Riding in the big, big, big green combine with Uncle Todd
*Playing with Charlie & Whitney's dog Raleigh
*Jumping on the trampoline
*Playing in the hose and in the pool with Cash at Grandma & Grandpa Thalgott's house
*Going on many 4-wheeler rides
*Playing with all of his cousins
*Riding Grandpa Thalgott's motorcycle
*Going to Grandpa Andersen's shop and borrowing a wrench and a screwdriver
*Helping Uncle Carter show his lamb at the 4-H sale
*Picking out "good" wheat fields as they are all golden in Idaho right now, waiting to be harvested
*Going to Grandma and Grandpa Thalgott's "big, big hole" (the spot where they are building a new home) and being able to throw rocks and dirt with no abandon!
*Riding in Grandpa Andersen's boat and watching everyone ski and wakeboard
*Riding on GREEN lawn mowers! Both sets of grandparents have green lawnmowers--how cool is that! And you know nothing could be better than a green lawnmower!
*Riding Grandpa Andersen's horse
*Lighting off fireworks at Grandma & Grandpa Thalgott's house
*Playing outside endlessly, and having easy access to all the backyards you could ask for!
OK, and there were some Low-lights and here they are:
*Saying good bye and leaving to come back to New Orleans
*Sprinting through the Houston airport with five minutes to catch my flight to Salt Lake, only to find out that it was delayed and sprinting was not necessary. Nice! And just to give you a visual--here I was the very pregnant lady, pushing a stroller, carrying a bulky camera bag and another carry-on bag literally sprinting through the airport. Enough so that I had shin splints the next day. Lovely.
*Waking up at 4 am to catch my flight yesterday morning
*Saying good bye...
*The fact that 10 days flew by WAY too fast
*Hearing the phrase "welcome back to the humidity" as we landed in Atlanta yesterday
*Saying good bye...
*Hearing the sad news of a friend in our small town whose husband died very unexpectedly and very young, leaving her a widow at 21 with an 18 month old daughter
*Hitting some heavy Salt Lake City traffic after our plane landed and we got in the car to drive to Idaho
*As we began our descent into New Orleans, hearing the pilot say "and the weather in New Orleans today is HOT and MUGGY"
*Saying good bye...
So as you can see, the highlights outweigh the lowlights and we had a great time. It was hard to leave to come back, but it is good to be home all at the same time. My own bed felt wonderful last night! And now I have the anxiety and excitement of having baby brother in six weeks hanging over my head! Oh, the things I need to get done.... :) My to do list doesn't seem to be getting any shorter. But we are glad to have these memories of our trip to visit everyone. And I am so grateful that I felt so good the entire time. I was worried that traveling this late in the pregnancy would be really hard, but I got along so well the whole time. And I just love that Tyler is old enough to remember all of his experiences and be excited to do it all over again.
And like I said, I hope to be posting pictures in the next few days when I have a spare minute or two. Many of them will further explain some of the highlights of our trip! :)





6 comments:
Becky-
It is so hard to leave family. I am glad you had such a great time. I can't wait to see pictures! Only 6 more weeks-Whoa!
Alison
Glad you made it home safe and sound and that you all enjoyed your trip out west! Thanks for the updates. I think Tyler's love of green is adorable. :-)
Dear Becky and Tyler,
I'm still teary eyed about you leaving. When I took the high chair down yesterday I cryed. I miss you so much already. I hope you get rested up soon. I finally feel like a human being today. The house is so quiet, but it is kind of nice to do something besides wedding stuff (and to be able to see the floor again) I'm looking at tickets from IF and I've found some good ones so I'll be calling you today to set a definate day to come. Love you, Mom
It sounds like you had a fabulous time! All of the fresh produce sounds delightful- you can't find 'fresh' food like that at Winn Dixie. I grew up out in 'the valley' where there were farms dotting the countryside so I must say I'm definitely a small town kind of girl. I know it was probably hard to come home to the heat and lack of elevation in land here- but we're glad you're back! Did you guys get our message about the Zephyrs game on Saturday? We'd love to see you and Tyler! Let us know if you can come.
So glad you are back, and had a fabulous trip. It is always hard to say goodbye. I still cry after eight years, and so do my kids.
Just reading this post made me teary eyed because of the fun you were able to have and the sadness of leaving it all behind. I can't believe you are less than six weeks away from having little Thalgott #2. This calls for an emergency phone conversation about names. Love you and as always miss you.
Post a Comment