Saturday, July 7, 2007

Food, fireworks, and fun! (oh yeah, and Ratatouille)

The celebration of our 4th of July went a little something like this:

-We woke up and hit the 10:30 am showing of Ratatouille. Tyler loved going to the movie and we had a great time taking him.

-We grabbed some lunch at La Madeleine.

-We headed home and Tyler took a nap, and Garrett went and did a little target shooting at the range.

-After naps, we ate (again...). This time, it was seafood at the Harbor. Followed by cupcakes at home. Let me just say they were cute, but that red frosting was EVIL....

-It rained most of our day, and let up just as it got dark, so we set out to set off our own fireworks. Another late night after all the festivities were over. But there's something about celebrating the independence of our country that gets me excited and always brings a smile to my face.
I always miss living close to family when it comes to the 4th of July, since it's been years since we've been in Idaho for the 4th. But I am happy that we can enjoy celebrating as our own little family and enjoy the day nonetheless. I of course reflect on how lucky and blessed I feel to live in the US of A and enjoy the luxuries of life that I enjoy. Since last year, it has become even more important to me since we have moved to New Orleans. I realize that no matter where I live--even if it has to be in New Orleans (because there are definitely days that living here is not my favorite thing, and then other days it is...), thousands of miles from family and lots of my friends--it doesn't really matter because I live in America and that is a blessing in and of itself. I have to admit I am one of those who tears up at the National Anthem and did also when a girl sang God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch at the game the night before. On this day, I am even more grateful for family and grateful for freedom!

2 comments:

cshel said...

Love your 4th pics - sounds like you had a really fun day! Thanks for your musings on our country - I always feel a bit sentimental this time of year - moreso since Mike spent some time overseas.

Nicole said...

I know I just posted a comment but when I saw the matching old navy shirts I had to show Marty. Apparently he got some harrassing about dressing alike. I'm sure he'll be glad to know other guys do it too!