Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2 Days, 2015 Miles, 6 States, & the Surprise of a Lifetime

So, we never ever ever figured we'd drive the distance from NOLA to Idaho since it was sooooo far. But as the holidays approached and we got looking at when we would possibly be going for a visit, we realized now might be the only time for a long time that we could go. So, somewhat last minute, we decided to pack up the car and surprise our families over the holiday. We left our house at 5 am on Saturday and made it to Amarillo, Texas and spent that night there and hit the road again at 4:30 am Sunday morning and rolled into Garrett's parents' house at about 11:00 pm. And we've been going around surprising everyone since then. And I think it's safe to say that it's been a pretty huge surprise since no one ever in their wildest dreams expected us to do this.

So we are spending some time getting in some winter fun. Garrett will fly back home and work for a week and a half and then fly back to Idaho to help drive us home. So, that's what we're up to. We are still trying to recover from the insanely long ride in the car, but we were really blessed to have pretty decent roads the majority of the trip and the kids did better than we expected in the car. But I'm still not totally looking forward to hopping in the car and doing that drive again!

11 comments:

Bella said...

Can I say you're brave? I don't think I would have done it! But of course, it is always fun. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Your boys are getting so big!

cshel said...

Wow!! Good for you!! I know the drive is long and not the easiest; but I think the memories you will make will be more than worth it. Happy New Year!!

Kyle and Tiffany said...

What a fun surprise! Enjoy your Idaho time. :)

Lorraine said...

Hi BECKY!!! I saw Marilee in Walmart and she told me about your surprise. That is AWESOME! I hope I will get to see you while you are in town. Speaking of which, maybe I could pay you to do a photo session of our new baby..... :) Well, I am glad that it was you guys who made that road trip and not us. A birthmom 10 miles away is much better!! I hope you are having a great time in Idaho!! Love ya!

Amy said...

How fun! What a great holiday surprise

Anonymous said...

I love this!! You guys are great and I know your family is loving seeing all of you and especially the boys!! have fun!
Lori

Jeni said...

W-O-W! Have fun!!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

So, I've been horribly delinquent at commenting on people's blogs lately. I have to say how much I've loved all of your Christmas time posts! They were all so cute! And I continue to be amazed at how little I know about different traditions from different places around our very own country, so thanks for sharing that too. Congrats on the sweet new lens & on surviving that long drive! Wow! Enjoy your family & the snow and we'll see you back in blog-land when you get a chance!

Gramma Dori said...

Becky, it was great to see your family in church last week. Your boys are growing and oh, so cute! Looked like Grandpa Jim was in heaven. Enjoy your trip and remember these are the things dreams are made of.

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! We've done that trip to UT a few times and I still get nauseated thinking about it!
Glad you made it safe and sound. The pictures of Parker are AWESOME!!!

Angela said...

You're brave and I love the surprise factor. I think we should totally do that next Christmas!