Friday, December 5, 2008

The Hunt of '08

There was every good intention to get this post up days ago...but colds have struck our home and we've just spent the last few days wiping noses and taking NyQuil. Are you jealous? I thought so. We went from tonsillitis to this. Hoping we get it out of our system now so we can just enjoy the rest of December. But now, moving on... (warning, this post is long, and if my writing doesn't make sense in some fashion, I blame the NyQuil.)

The day after Thanksgiving, we headed to Pearl River once again to find our Christmas tree for the year. I guess you could say it has become a tradition for us since this is now our third year running. Our hunt is a perfect way to start out our holiday season. And there are no winter coats or snow boots worn--short sleeves are totally the way to go. :) The farm we go to sells "exotic" trees and we have always gotten a Leyland Cypress tree. It is definitely not a traditional balsam fir or anything like it. But they stay so fresh and green all month long and don't shed any needles, so I have really grown to love them. So, here is a little photo recap of our day.

I have to get a picture like this every year. :) Tyler follows right on Garrett's heels the entire time. And comparing each year, it's crazy to see how big Tyler gets in just one year's time. Tyler was very impatient in our search this year. He couldn't figure out why we needed to keep looking and why we couldn't just cut one down. At every tree we stopped at, he'd say "ok, let's cut this one down, guys." He just wanted to use the saw...
And lucky for me, Tyler brought me these "beautiful" flowers (or whatever they were). He was awfully proud of himself though.
And since Sam's not really walking yet, he was in his stroller (well, at least to start with). This is one of the only happy faces we got from him while he was in his stroller (and it is awfully cute, I might add) because he quickly wanted out...
And surprise, surprise--both boys were fascinated by this tractor that kept driving up and down the rows.
We gave in and finally let Sam out of his stroller. He was much happier after that. Like I said, he's not really walking yet (although this was the day he started taking steps in bursts of 3 or 4), but he'll stand for a long time by himself. Cute, huh?!
Much better...
And then Garrett got the task of hauling him around. Since he's over 26 pounds, I can hardly do it anymore! (gotta love a little lens flare, eh?)
Yes, I am aware that this looks very safe...
And we have Sam the Plumber happy to be on Daddy's shoulders.
Sam's favorite spot of the day, for sure.
And we just kept looking, until finally...
we found it!
And cut it down.
Or watched it be cut down (depending on who you were...).
And prepared it to take its tractor ride back to the pick up.
And someone else was awfully thrilled about the tractor ride as well...
And off they rode--my boys and my tree--and were quickly loaded in the back of the pick up (well, the tree was, anyways--the boys were in front. :) and we headed home. Now it's decorated (more pictures to come), and we're already enjoying our "exotic" Christmas tree.
And remember how I once said that our "Fall weather" comes in the winter...well, here is my evidence. The trees are finally shedding a few leaves and I took a minute to enjoy the colors since you don't get much change in colors here in Louisiana!! So, here is my proof to remember. :)

8 comments:

Whitney & Charlie said...

You're boys are both getting so big, they look so grown up! Looks like fun!

Hillary said...

Ohhh, an "exotic tree" huh?! Sounds pretty exciting. That kinda adds a zing to the holiday spirit. It is so funny to see the difference between the winter wonderland and the "exotic wonderland." Looks like you had lots of fun.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Looks like a fun outing! I'm a little jealous that Garrett and Tyler are wearing short sleeved shirts. It's a tadbit too cold to be doing that here, but we don't even have any snow to make it worth it. I'm anxious to see pictures of that beautiful tree all set up in your house and decorated.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe how much bigger Tyler looks in that picture of him and Garrett walking to find the "perfect" tree. He looks tall---but I know that cant be!!!I wish we could have been there. I was looking forward to being part of that tradition with you guys. I think I would love looking for a tree in that kind of weather. I know it is a big disappointment but we put up the same fake trees. We couldnt do anything else this year but I still love having them up and the lights on. I am glad you have made that a fun tradition for you. Love you. momt

Amy said...

Such cute pics. I wished I would have taken pictures of our tree hunt, but I was solo with the 3 kids so pics were far from my mind! Very nice!!!

Ashley said...

That looks like so much fun, I love the pictures. That is a big event for kids to go and get their Christmas tree. Those are some of my favorite memories I can think of.

The Nielsen Family said...

You know what I would love to see, are three consecutive years of G and T out hunting down the perfect tree (pictures one after the other). Gotta love how "Christmasy" this post looks every year.

There is nothing cuter than seeing little boys look up to their daddy's like that.

cshel said...

Looks like a really fun outing. Your weather looks so nice. :-) Not the frigid temps, snow, ice that we have.

Enjoy!! I love Christmas!!