Thursday, December 11, 2008

Never Thought I'd See the Day!

So, don't be mistaken--we are not in Idaho. These pictures were taken right outside my front door this morning. Yes, that's right. It snowed. In New Orleans. I'd heard people say that it could happen and does on occasion, but I didn't believe them. I figured I'd never see it. On the news, they have been calling it a "Historical Day". Who'd have ever thought I'd live in a place where seeing snow fall was considered historical? CRAZY!

My day started when Garrett called and woke me up at 8 am (a rare occasion that I'm still sleeping at that time, but srangely enough, the kids weren't up yet...). He had left the house loooong before that to try to catch an early flight out of here for work, but was stuck at the airport because of the snow. So he called to tell me and I jumped up and looked out the window and thought my eyes were deceiving me. So I quickly hung up and woke up the boys, made a quick call to the grandparents to tell them the amazing news, and went outside to play. Tyler even said "but Mom, don't we need to eat breakfast first?". I said we could eat breakfast later...snow is definitely not going to be lasting long here so we gotta get out while we can! Of course, I took pictures so we would have proof of this "historical day"!
I made the mistake of not grabbing the mittens before we went out the first time, which resulted in Tyler whining and crying because his hands were cold in just about 2 minutes after we got outside. I thought, goodness sakes, we are not used to this! Tyler kept saying he wanted to go inside and put some water on his hands (I guess he wanted to run them under hot water...). And I was thinking our snow adventure was over about as quickly as it started.
But we came in, ran the hands under some warm water, found some mittens (took me a minute since it's not like I keep them handy!), and we headed back outside. This time was much more successful than the first.

Tyler called the foot prints "foot paws". Interesting...
The flakes quickly collected on Sam's lengthy lashes. He was quite mesmerized by the whole thing too--watching from the confines of his stroller.
And oh boy, there were many a snowball to be thrown. And for some reason, they were all thrown at me... Hmm.



And as is the case with most snow adventures, it ended when one child had lost a mitten, was frozen solid, and screaming to go back inside.
So, inside we went and started our morning with a cup of hot chocolate and some donuts. Perfect, if you ask me. A rare treat in more ways than one. And any chance I get to be part of "history", I'll take it! We love having a snow day (and it is truly funny that a little bit of snow shuts this place down. Garrett's flight was originally supposed to leave at 6:30 and he finally left at 11:00. Businesses are closed, schools are cancelled, you're told to stay off the roads--fun, fun!). And I must say that with this, my Christmas spirits soared pretty high--it just hit the spot for me. I'm already a bit sad that it's supposed to be in the 70's again by Sunday.
But watch out, Tyler's got something for you....
SPLAT! Gotcha!
And now that I've seen it "sneaux" in New Orleans, I'm just waiting to see pigs fly and then my life will be complete.

21 comments:

Lexi said...

I almost called you this morning to see if you were outside taking pictures- I knew you'd be out there with your cute boys. I loved seeing the snow! It was definitely the perfect treat for being so close to Christmas. I'm a little sad that it's already melted away. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

Whitney & Charlie said...

I'm so jealous! I wish we could get some snow here! What's the deal? I'm surprised you could find coats and mittens in such short time! Charlie and I have been having hot chocolate every day since October, you could say we're addicted I guess! But we haven't done donuts yet...

Alison said...

Oh, FUN FUN! The pictures were adorable! What a cool mom to go out without breakfast :)

mccready's said...

Haha! I KNEW you'd be out there snapping pictures! I was outside with my kiddos and I kept thinking, "Somewhere Becky is outside doing the same thing I am but her pictures will look way better than mine." It's always cool to find out that you're right about something, ya know? :)

Anonymous said...

I hope this made you just a tiny bit home sick. We might have to go to NOLA to get any snow for Christmas! I love the photos. I love the ones of Sam. He does look like he's getting to be a handful, but a very cute handful. Wish you were here,or I was there!
Love, MomA

cshel said...

Oh, what a treat!! I'm glad you and the boys got a taste of it before Christmas! Love the pics, BTW!

cshel said...

Oh, what a treat!! I'm glad you and the boys got a taste of it before Christmas! Love the pics, BTW!

Heitmann Family said...

How exciting for you guys. We live in Washington where it isn't unheard of to snow, but we still haven't gotten any. Ayden says we need to move somewhere else. Glad you had a wonderful time in the snow!!

Doug, Marilee & Co. said...

Too bad it wasn't Christmas Eve!! Still very exciting though! You better buy Tyler another pair of Thomas snow boots, just in case it happens again!

Brooke S said...

soooo fun!!!!

Shuldberg Family said...

Matt and I saw that on the news - How fun!

aidanjordan said...

FUN!!! Good thing you took pictures, because snow in New Orleans is a bit like Halley's Comet!

Tara said...

Fun. Your kids have played in the snow more then mine. Hmmm, maybe that's cuz you have snow. LOL. Sam is adorable in his "Nice" shirt.

Campbell Family said...

OUR weather man talked about you guys getting snow. Pretty cool and your pictures were amazing. I don't know how you got those snowball pictures. Can I have your camera and some of your talent? Thanks. That would be great.
AND to reply to your comment. Our boys are growing so fast. I wish that we lived closer because I just know they would be best friends! :)

Cook Family said...

When I saw the news I thought to myself I bet Becky is in heaven. Yeah for snow! Yeah for your kiddos playing in snow!

Kristy said...

I'm glad you got to be part of a historical event, LOL. Love the picture of the foot paws, that is so cute. Your boys are adorable, you always have the cutest pictures.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

How fun! Now Idaho needs some of the white stuff. :) I loved the close up of Sam with the snow on his eyelashes...so cute!

Anonymous said...

I have been so excited to see the pictures. I was thinking to myself "I hope Becky took pictures" but I was pretty positive that you would. It was fun to get Tyler's phone call letting us know it was snowing there. (I was relieved to hear it was that since we dont usually receive phone calls from you all at that time of the day.) We couldnt believe it either. It was funny to see it snowing in the French Quarter on CNN news. You are such a good mom to get everybody all dressed up to play in the snow. We are supposed to get a storm tonight and tomorrow. We will see. love you guys. momt

emily said...

I actually heard about this on the news all the way up here and thought right away about you guys. What a fun pre-Christmas surprise! It's a little less fun around here...the piles lining our driveway from the constant shoveling are nearly as tall as our vehichles themselves. But there's no better excuse for hot chocolate and dounts than a good romp in the snow (believe me, it's a daily request around here!). Miss ya!

The Nielsen Family said...

That first picture of Tyler says it all. Also, pretty impressive that you got that snowball soaring in mid air. What talent!

Anonymous said...

Here in Idaho, I think it made it to 10 degrees for the high today. And just as he did with us, I can't wait to call Tyler at 7:00 am one morning, only to tell him "It's 40 degrees -- and not snowing!" Probably be April before I can do that. Glad you enjoyed it while it lasted, ya gotta live for the moment!
DadT