Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Weekend

Our Easter festivities got kicked off on Thursday with a little egg hunt at the park for play group. It was a hit! So fun! Watching kids at eggs hunts always brings back so many great memories of huge egg hunts at my grandparents' and parents' houses when I was a kid. They were HUGE and so fun!
Then we were surprised to find out that Garrett had Good Friday off and the office was closed, so we started brain storming of something fun to do. So we took the boys to Horton Hears a Who. So cute! We absolutely loved it.


Sunday morning, we all awoke to get ready for church and Sam was all snotty and not feeling great. I thought we'd still make a run at going to church at least for a while, especially since Tyler was supposed to say the opening prayer in primary and was so excited to do it. Sam was not thrilled with that thought (and wasn't shy in letting us know that) and was much of the reason we were 30 minutes late (notice I said "much", not all...I know the rest of us had a lot to do with the reason for being late, as always!). We made it through the first two hours and it was clear that little Sam was still not feeling well and was starting to feel like he was getting a fever, so we decided to head home early and let him take a nap and give him some Tylenol.
So, we came home and I wanted to get some *quick* pictures of the boys in their new ties before the ties came off. With two boys, the new ties are my equivalent of putting girls in new Easter dresses and a WHOLE lot easier, that's for sure!
We got in a couple quick pictures and then Sam proceeded to eat Tyler...
He has now discovered that other peoples' hands might taste as good as his own. And Tyler thinks it's hilarious!
Yummy!
And then about 10 seconds later, we got to this point in the picture taking and decided Sam's bed was calling his name. Ahhhh, peace!

And then the egg dying festivities began. Oh, how I love dying Easter eggs!! I could do it all day long! Tyler kept saying "I LOVE dying Easter eggs!" while we were doing it. So fun!
Green Easter eggs??? I wonder whose those could be...
You guessed it!
We all had fun trying out some of our own little tricks. Tyler's only trick was to soak them in the green dye for as long as humanly possible. Garrett's trick was to add lemon juice to the dye to make the color brighter.
And I think it worked...aren't they pretty?? I love them!
And my trick (my personal favorite of the day, of course!) was to add a little vegetable oil to the dye and then you get yourself a speckled egg.
And then Sam woke up and the boys got their Easter baskets, we ate ham, potatoes, salad, and deviled eggs (which meant I had to peel all of those pretty eggs we just dyed! Sad!) for dinner. Yummy dinner, nice day, some of my favorite people to be with, and Easter baskets with Cadbury eggs in them. What more could I ask for? Just a great Easter all the way around (even if Sam was feeling a little cruddy).
Post-nap Sam was a much happier little dude. He was kissing his new caterpillar he got in his Easter basket.

Hope you all had a Happy Easter!!

13 comments:

Ashley said...

That sounds like you had such a fun day, Allison was also sick yesterday so we we didn't make it out, I had her all dressed and ready to go to church and then, she decided to throw up all over her Easter dress....Yikes. I then put her in a sleeper and we both took a nap. I love the pictures, they are so adorable and that is so fun that Tyler has so much fun with Sam.

cshel said...

LOVE the pics of the boys in their cute ties. So fun. I love new Easter clothes!

I will have to remember the lemon juice and vegetable oil tricks for next year!!

Monte said...

Can I just say that I think Sam and Avalon make the cutest little couple!! I love reading all about Sam as it seems just a week or so behind him Avalon starts doing the same things. I too think it is going way to fast and wish things would slow down as the faster Avalon grows, the sooner I will half to have another baby. Way cute Easter outfits!!

Heitmann Family said...

Ok, well you were wonderful about taking pictures. I didn't get one blasted one. It didn't help that my kids were up before the sun and had already ripped into their baskets. Happy Easter!!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are great!! I am glad that Tyler got to go on an easter egg hunt. We never did that with our little family. Jim's family always did though. I am glad you guys had a good easter. The pictures of Tyler and Sammy are so cute---right down to the one of little Sammy crying and little Tyler trying to console him. And little Tyler concentrating at the easter egg hunt. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Love and miss you. momt

Tamara said...

Your boys are seriously adorable! I hope you actually do get a chance to check out my blog. I'm afraid I'm going to go to all this effort and no one will actually look at it! Mine is no where near as awesome as yours, but I'm still figuring it out so maybe in time I'll get as skilled as you! I'm 27weeks along now! Yay! I'm going to get this kid out of me before it gets hot here. Perfect timing.

Anonymous said...

As we were dying easter eggs on Saturday, Gracie commented more than once that "Tyler would just love the green eggs!"
Rhett was also sick on Easter Sunday. He wasn't too bad at first, except that his nose was running off of his face, so it was hard to get a picture of him that didn't contain snot. By evening time, he was very cranky and woke up Monday with a double ear infection. Oh well, it was a fun weekend, none the less!
Marilee

Lexi said...

I LOVE the ties. I also love the pictures of all the smiles but I ESPECIALLY love the picture of Tyler consoling poor baby Sam after utter exhaustion set in. That was too precious! I also had to laugh at Tyler's continuing love of all things green- even green Easter eggs!

Melissa said...

I love it when little boys have matching ties. So Cute!

{Erica} said...

loved the pictures and loved the boys ties. Your boys have incredible eyes....love them! we use the lemon juice trick as well.

Tara said...

The little boys are so cute with their matching ties. That is such a wonderful idea. Hope you had a very happy Easter and I hope Sam is feeling better. Sick kids are never fun.

Angela said...

You take such great photos! I need to do better! Tyler looks just like his dad. (It's been a long time since I've checked in on you.) I tried to get the playgroup to do a hunt but they wouldn't (costs money, they said)but Easter can always be great as long as you decorate eggs, right?
angela coan

Anonymous said...

I love their ties. I'm so glad you got a warm day to hunt the eggs. It was freezing here. At least we didn't have to worry about the boiled eggs going bad on us. The boys are so cute and I miss you all so much. Love MomA