Time to recap this boy's 5th birthday. I couldn't quite believe when December 7 rolled around yet again...that meant he was one year older! It's truly amazing how fast kids grow and change and I'd say that is the one thing no one can really prepare you for before you have kids. And of course, I have those bittersweet feelings every time I think about it. Because I love seeing the person they are becoming and how they learn and what their personalities are like, but I hate the thoughts of them growing up and not being right under my wing anymore!OK, back to the birthday business...Tyler (like any child, I'm sure) was SO excited to turn 5. 5 is just a milestone birthday and he was looking forward to it so much. The unfortunate thing for Tyler (and Sam and any future children, for that matter) is that they did not win the birthday party mom lottery. I just don't get excited about them, don't find the time to plan them, can't ever think of what to do, feel awkward making people feel the obligation, don't want to spend the money to throw one, etc, etc, etc... And even when I have intentions to do a little party, it just doesn't happen. And add that Tyler's birthday is in December of all months, it really doesn't help the cause much.
So he had been asking about a party (because I know, really, all of the OTHER kids get parties...) for a while before hand, but I just couldn't give him a firm answer because I simply didn't know when it would fit in in our crazy month. There was just not a time to do it. And I lost sleep over it--I seriously felt bad to disappoint him. But then I thought back to my childhood--I didn't get a birthday party except when I turned 8 and I don't feel like I was deprived and I survived and I still love my parents...so I hoped this would be the case with Tyler!
So, here is a rundown of his day {without a "real" birthday party}...
He felt pretty excited and special because he actually had school on his birthday. So he was treated very special all day long. I gave him a new shirt to wear to school that day (a green one, of course!), he got his birthday crown, I took in Rice Krispie treats to his class for snack time, and he got to be the special helper all day. (just a side note--I was shocked at how many kids said they didn't like rice krispie treats and opted to have some crackers instead. I mean, really! Who doesn't like Rice Krispie treats??? I thought they were about as safe as I could go. Out of 13 kids who were there that day, only 7 had a Rice Krispie treat. The teachers said that all the kids are super picky eaters. Hmmmm, I'd say!)
When I picked him up from school, I told him we could have lunch wherever he wanted. And he chose Subway, of course! This boy's love for Subway is still running strong. He would choose to eat there over any other place any day of the week. And at "our" Subway, they know him by name and know how to make "his" sandwich just right {ham on wheat bread with American cheese and mayo and just a little mustard}.And at Subway, I just had a little "moment" if you will. Tyler had proudly told his friends at 'Eat Fresh' that it was his birthday, so they gave him a cookie to honor his special day. So we finished our sandwiches and I told Tyler he could have his cookie (Sam and I didn't have a cookie, it was just Tyler's). He took it out and without even asking, thinking, flinching...he broke it in half and gave the other half to Sam. It was as natural as could be. I know, this probably doesn't seem that special to anyone else, but to me it was a perfect example of this boy of mine. He is often making sure all of our needs are taken care of and saving a bite of a cookie or a piece of candy for one of us if we're not there and it's simply just the way he thinks. He is a very good big brother. I just love that about him!
When we came home from school, I let him open another present, a new Thomas movie he'd been dying to have (he is still very much obsessed with Thomas!). So he was able to watch that during the afternoon and then evening rolled around and it was "party" time. :) We tried to do everything to make it special for Tyler even without a real party and I absolutely loved it. We spent a nice relaxing birthday evening together and it was so much fun. We told Tyler we would make him anything he wanted for dinner and whatever kind of cake he wanted.
So...on the menu was fried catfish, macaroni & cheese, sprite and chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. We tried an Emeril's recipe for the catfish and Pioneer Woman's macaroni & cheese. I honestly have to say it was delicious. Better than any restaurant food any day...and Tyler LOVED it! He got really into it and was 'ordering' from our restaurant and we drank out of fancy goblets and the works. It was so fun!
And Sam was pretty pleased with the situation as well, as you can see!
After dinner it was present time. Tyler scored big time and was so happy with everything he got. He would say "thank you sooooo much. I just love it. I love it so much. This is my most favorite present ever" after opening every present!
So...our big present to him was a Leapster. He has been wanting one and we had been wanting him to have one for a while, so it was perfect. But Garrett insisted that we do it all in reverse order and confuse him during presents. So he opened a game from Grandma and then a case from us, but no Leapster yet. And Garrett kept saying "but what are you going to do with these things if you don't even have a Leapster to use?". And then he even suggested that Tyler look inside the case to see if it was in there. But no, it wasn't. The poor boy! And he even said "oh, well maybe Santa will just bring me one for Christmas to use with these." (as if he was totally okay with waiting another 2 1/2 weeks to get one!)
And then...drum roll please...finally the Leapster! And he couldn't have been more pleased!
Presents done, now it's time for cake! And you can't possibly go wrong with chocolate. Yum!!


And then the rest of the night was spent doing this... (the Leapster has been a GREAT purchase!!!) It was an absolutely fabulous day (in my opinion). I loved focusing all on Tyler instead of all on the stress of a party. And Tyler was literally so happy, he didn't mention anything about a party again. I think he was pleased as punch. And I of course was so relieved! But I'm already thinking that I should really have my act together and do a party next year...but I'm not making any promises!! I sure do love this 5 year old of mine!!!





1 comment:
No birthday parties for my kids this year either. Just about wore me out last year having 2 weekends filled with party stuff. Good boy asking for catfish!!!! I sure miss it! Looks like he had a great b day. Good job. And the cake looked good !
Post a Comment