Sunday, January 3, 2010

So Long, 2009

Wow, so another year has come and gone. And I haven't finished all of my updates from 2009, but while I was going through files on my computer tonight, I couldn't get over how much my kids have grown and how much has happened this year...in a year we have thought to be a little uneventful. I guess life is never really uneventful--especially when you have kids! So I'm hopping on the bandwagon and giving a rundown of 2009--for fun and for my documentation purposes. So, read on or just look at the pictures. :)
JANUARY:
We rang in the new year of 2009 in Idaho, after a surprise visit right after Christmas. We drove 2000 miles over two days to be there. The surprise was well worth it, but there are times I still almost feel nauseous thinking about the driving... So more than half of January was spent experiencing Winter, playing with cousins and grandparents, and...driving. Sam perfected the art of screaming on this trip, which caused me to spend the next 9 months constantly checking my sanity levels. Children should never learn how to scream before they learn how to talk.

FEBRUARY:
February brought us fun little Valentine's Day spent as a family feasting on fondue, and another fun Mardi Gras. We caught more beads and stuffed animals and "junk" than we ever thought imaginable...little kids are like money in the bank at a parade, I tell ya. Mardi Gras also brought us a visit from my parents and Carter which allowed them to get a glimpse at one of the most cultural experiences to be found in this country! We celebrated my dad's 54th birthday while they were here. We loved having them here, but hated saying good bye--like always. Sam called 911, without my knowledge, and I answered the door and found a police officer there...
MARCH:
March was a fairly uneventful month at our house. I'm not entirely sure where March went...other than "our" first surgery. Tyler had his adenoids removed, after finally finding a doctor who agreed that is what needed to be done. After two years of battling congestion, runny noses, ear infections, etc...I can honestly say it was the best thing we ever had done! He hasn't been sick since (other than his bout of Christmas strep throat last week) and I can't believe the world of difference it has made for him. We also saw Tyler finally become comfortable riding his little bike (with training wheels) and took many a lap around the lake. We often caught Sam in the bathroom throwing handfuls of q-tips on the floor. He also entered the nursery at church, even though it took another 6 months for him to go on his own. Good times.
APRIL:
April brought on an increasing airplane fascination for Tyler, a horrible staff infection for Garrett, my 28th birthday, Easter, kidney stones for Garrett, and a visit from Garrett's parents at the end of the month and first part of May. We can never possibly tire of visitors and we were so glad to have them. It had been far too long since their last visit. I also got busy on planning my 10 year high school reunion for July.
MAY:
The first week of May was spent enjoying the company of grandparents. The boys went to the air show while the girls (and the littlest boy) shopped. We visited Oak Alley and tried their "non-alcoholic" mint julep and visited all the other great attractions around here...and eventually had to send them home on an airplane. Have I mentioned that is not my favorite thing? We flew kites in the park, I enjoyed Mother's Day breakfast in bed, we made jam with the world's best Louisiana strawberries, practiced our golfing skills, and started making trips to the pool. Garrett & Tyler camped out for the Father & Sons outing. We were trying to enjoy the last of our weather before it was too hot...
JUNE:
In June, we celebrated Garrett's 31st birthday and took our first ride on the street car. Tyler started his first "organized" sport of tee ball. We never saw an actual "tee", and I'd say it was far from organized. We packed our bags and boarded a plane to spend a few weeks in Idaho visiting family and soaking up the lazy days of summer.
JULY:
July found us in Idaho yet again and it was a fantastic vacation. The weather could not be beat. We camped in Paris, ID and spent a day at Bear Lake over the 4th of July and went to the 4th of July breakfast and parade with Garrett's grandma. It was fun to introduce our kids to all of those traditional events. We spent the remainder of our trip seeing as many friends and family as we could and eating Grandpa & Grandma Andersen's homemade strawberry milkshakes or ice cream with strawberries from their garden. Mmmmm, yum! I took on some photo sessions while we were there and also attended my 10 year high school reunion. It went well and I'm so glad it's over! We sadly boarded a plane and headed back home...


AUGUST:
August found us back in the stifling heat and humidity of Louisiana. We spent a lot of days at the pool. A lot. We made a beach trip to Biloxi for a day. Sam wore his rain boots. A lot. The boys fought like cats and dogs much of the time, it seemed. I was again checking my sanity levels. We started work on refinishing our kitchen table. Tyler started playing flag football and I'm still not sure if I can talk about the experience. It was not a fun season (for us as parents, at least! Tyler would tell you otherwise).

SEPTEMBER:
September brought BYU to Dallas to play OU, which meant we hopped in the car and drove there for the weekend to witness one of the best college football games of all time! Garrett's parents flew down and joined us. How lucky are we?! September also brought BYU to the Big Easy the following weekend to play Tulane. And you'd better believe we we there, risin' and shoutin'. Garrett visited friends in Wisconsin for a weekend of nothing but golf. We also found ourselves upon Sam's 2nd birthday (with a football cake, of course) and Tyler's first day of pre-school. I cut my hair and donated to Locks of Love. Sam finally started talking (in such a way that at least I can understand) and my sanity started to level out greatly. September was a BUSY month.
OCTOBER:
In October, we enjoyed the weather finally cooling off a little bit. Sam caught H1N1 and Hand, Foot, Mouth all at the same time. So much for my sanity levels! It was a REALLY horrible week, I will admit. Each sickness is tough on its own, but combine them and it's pure torture. We got very little sleep during the middle of the month! But we survived and finally went on to pick out a pumpkin at the local patch and find a cute little firefighter and his dog on Halloween night.
NOVEMBER:
I took a whole lot of pictures in November, but almost none of them were for me. I was busy as I've ever been with client sessions, but we still fit in a trip to the zoo for Swamp Fest (our 4th year, going strong) where we ate fabulous food and listened to fabulous music. We celebrated Thanksgiving with friends and made a trip to cut down our Christmas tree. And...Sam got sick again with Croup this time. Not fun, I tell ya!
DECEMBER:
In December, we saw rain and lots of it. Over 25 inches and an all time record for New Orleans. I honestly thought it was never going to stop raining and that I'd need to build an ark. But we still met Papa Noel at the zoo on a very cold day, celebrated Tyler's 5th birthday (how on earth do I have a FIVE year old???), made lots of yummy treats and prepared for Santa's arrival. Life finally slowed down just in time for Christmas and just in time for Tyler to catch a round of Christmas strep. And Santa came through for us all. It was a magical Christmas! And then we watched the holidays come and go right before our eyes, as well as the entire year of 2009.

Over all, I am still serving as YW president in our Ward. Garrett is still employed at Frilot LLC. I am still working part time (as time permits, is more like it!) doing photo sessions. We enjoyed overall good health, stable employment, reliable vehicles, a roof over our heads, and the simple--yet amazing--blessing it is to be a family. We have been blessed beyond measure, probably more than we deserve...which reminds me I should probably never spend a minute of my life complaining because I have no room for it! So, farewell 2009. You were a good year, a year of growth physically and emotionally. You weren't always easy, but I'm glad you were here. On one hand, I'm sad to see you go, but I am also in love with the thought of a fresh start--the kind you get at the beginning of a new year...so bring on 2010!

P.S.--do you possibly have any idea how hard it was to pick just one picture for each month? With as many pictures I have on my hard drive, it was nearly impossible!

6 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like a fun, eventful year. Your little boys are so adorable. Poor Sam with Ants in his Pants. Oh the memories your kids are going to have!

Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT SUMMARY OF 2009. I LOVED IT---THE PICTURES AND THE STORIES THAT WENT WITH THEM. YOU SHOULD WRITE BOOKS BECKY. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR LIVES WITH US. IT KEEPS US IN TOUCH WITH OUR CUTE LITTLE GRANDSONS. WE HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR. WE LOVE AND MISS YOU. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!!! LOVE GRANDMA T

seananddiana said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas. Your boys are so cute and your blog is so much fun to read. Sorry we are so lame and didn't even send Christmas cards this year. I agree with you, Dewey is getting so big. I want you to know, that I had an ultrasound last week and didn't find out the sex of the baby!:)

Doug, Marilee & Co. said...

Fun post Becky! You are so good at this blogging thing! I just updated mine and think you need to teach me some lessons in bloggabilities!! Love you and miss you!

cshel said...

Feels like forever since I've been to your blog; but I love, love, love this post!! What a great recap. I love your summary in the end - I think we could all benefit from counting our blessings; not worrying about what we don't have. Hope 2010 is a wonderful year for your family!!!

Tamara said...

A year in review in the best way possible - awesome pictures. I love it!