I don't even know where to begin with this post. It's hard to collect my thoughts. I sit here on "Evacuation Eve" thinking one minute that I'm ready to go, thinking the next minute that I am not. The last couple of days have been exhausting emotionally and physically. But they probably hail in comparison to what the next few days will hold. I am not a 'stress' type, I'm really not. I generally feel like I roll with the punches and when there are things I can't control, it doesn't effect me too much. But tonight, I feel completely different than that. I haven't slept well for a couple of nights because I lay there mentally making lists of things I don't want to leave behind. Thinking of things the kids will need during a potentially very very long evacuation car ride. Coming up with the perfect way to pack the car so necessities will be at arm's reach. And deciding what "possessions" really are important to me. Thanks to my dad, I think I inherited a knack for making a lot of things fit into a small space, so I think I'll be able to take the things I have set aside. How do you lock the door and leave, not knowing when you'll return or what you'll return to (or won't return to)? I'm not sure, but I guess I will find out in the morning. It certainly doesn't seem like kids who grew up in Blackfoot, Idaho should be packing up and evacuating for a major hurricane, that's for sure.
At this point, the future of the next few days is uncertain. Things definitely don't look great as far as the weather forecast is concerned. I never thought I would anxiously check the National Hurricane Center's updated model that is released every three hours. I tried to live the last three days just like normal, but the fact is, it's been far from it. Today we drove around town wrapping up a few loose ends to see the stores already boarded up and everyone ready to take off. There's definitely a lot of tension in the air. Tyler, of course, is too young to understand what's going on, but is old enough to know that "something" is going on. He's been full of questions that I'm too exhausted to answer. He just knows we're going on a trip and that a hurricane is coming. This evening it started to rain just a bit and he yelled "oh no! A hurricane is coming!". He's picked up on the tension, but as far as he's concerned, he's just excited to go on a trip. And Sam, of course, has no clue that he'll spend the majority of our day tomorrow in a carseat and at this point, I think that pains me to think about more than anything at this point. He hates the car for very long! I'll be very relieved to arrive at our destination in Mississippi tomorrow some time.
With all the uncertainty that remains with this storm, of course my thoughts have been on all the horror stories that I have heard from friends regarding the storm of three years ago. This is indeed my first evacuation, and I have not gone through this before. And I don't like it thus far. You'd like to think that devastation like that of three years ago could never happen again, but deep down you know it is a possibility. So a lot of questions go through your mind and as we took video of everything in our house today, you start thinking of how sad you'd be if certain things were ruined. Some things would be harder than others, but the fact is you truly realize it's all just stuff. And it's all replaceable. The "stuff" that really matters will all be in the car with me early tomorrow morning. And I'm not promising that they're going to like that car ride either!
Well, it's time for bed and I'm doubting I'll get much sleep. And if I survive this with any fingernails remaining, it will be a miracle. But I am thankful for once again for the reminder of what's really important. And really there are only three things that are very important to me right now. And I just sang one a sweet lullaby and put him in his crib for the night and the other I tucked snugly into his bed under his airplane bedspread and kissed him good night. And the other will be taking the captain's chair tomorrow morning for our evacuation. And I couldn't be more grateful that he's by my side.
Adios, Gustav! You got nothin' on me because I've got all the important stuff with me. Although, you have put a rather large pit in my stomach and lump in my throat...
(I'll try to update during the next few days if I can get internet access.)
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





29 comments:
I'm so sorry that you're going through this! The good part is that at least you're prepared and have the most important stuff with you--your family. Our prayers will be with you!
Oh Garrett, Becky and our precious little grandsons, our prayers are so with you and we will be waiting anxiously to hear from you. I cant believe this is happening---again!!! I cant even imagine how you are feeling. I know I am sick for you. Be so careful and try to keep us posted. We love you so much. Take care and good luck. May heavenly father watch over and protect you and comfort and bless you all. Love, Dad and Mom T
I have been anxiously checking your blog to see where you guys are/are going. I know EXACTLY what you are going through, although this time three years ago, I was not at all prepared, and thought we were just going to visit Jeremy's dad in Jackson for a few days. I think you are probably as prepared as can be. You are a very righteous family, and I know Heavenly Father will bless you for it. If things turn out the way they did 3 years ago, just know that it is all for a reason. It was hard for me to comprehend that at first, but looking back now, I know that it was all part of Heavenly Father's plan for us. I hope you guys are able to make a swift, safe evacuation tomorrow. Good luck with it all and please update us all when you can!
P.S. My favorite weather site is wunderground.com. They have great tracking maps, and I love to read Dr. Jeff Masters blog.
Maybe I'm a fool, but I'm just not that worried. We have now lived in a part of the country where hurricanes are common, and a part of the country where tornados are common. I remember the first time I heard the sirens in Des Moines, and thought "Well, I hope we don't get smashed." With a tornado, you can hide in the basement, but you certainly can't run! The one thing that we can pretty much guarantee here in New Orleans is that no hurricane will cause us bodily harm. We may lose all of our stuff, which would be terrible, but there are worse things, I suppose. And hey, our stuff, including our sweet green leather couches, is insured for its replacement value! We'll leave in a few hours with some clothes, some pictures, a couple of harddrives, the Wii (one of our most cherished possessions), and ourselves. I guess that's all we really need. Most everything else can be replaced. To Jackson, MS we go!
Becky, it sounds like you & Garrett have got your priorities all properly prioritized (try to say that 5 times fast), but I'm sure this is all still worrisome, stressful & surreal. May your evacuation go as quickly & smoothly as possible. You'll be in our prayers, and please drive safely, ok?
Oh, how the memories come "flooding" back to me (especially the HOURS spent in a car)! I hope you and your family are safe as our prayers are with ALL of our wonderful New Orleans friends. You are such an organized person that I am sure you have done everything that can be done for these types of situations. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. And, yes growing up in small town Idaho definitely does not prepare one for things such as major hurricanes!
Stay safe and know that we are thinking of you...
The Alleman Family
Wow, I can only imagine what it must feel like to be in your situation. But, its wonderful that you are so prepared and will be able to be safely away from the storm. Our prayers will be with you!
Growing up in LA I think that at least with a hurricane you know it is coming and when I lived in KY I was scared to death every time I heard sirens for a tornado. I really hope that this hurricane calms down and that you are back home soon. Please let us know if you need anything.
Gosh, I am stilling here BAWLING! You have a great attitude and I know I couldn't be that positive. We are praying for you and all the others in the area.
Becky, we are thinking about you... be safe.
Oh Becky. I'm just sitting her crying for you guys. I can't even imagine the feelings you must be going through. You're so amazing and have such a positive outlook.
Garrett cracks me up. You guys are awesome. Such positive thinkers.
I'm saying prayers that your entire community is spared from too much devestation, especially your sweet home.
I didn't really think that this whole thing would happen again, and now I find myself eating my words. I'm so happy you are prepared and as a fellow list maker myself, I am comforted by the knowledge that you have as much under control as you possibly can. As long as you have your most prized and irreplaceable possessions in the car, all the rest will work itself out eventually. One day you will tell your grandchildren about your incredible adventure, and they will sit anxiously at your feet waiting to hear. It's amazing to think that in a short while this will be just one, incredible story that contributed to your wisdom and life experience. Right now this doesn't feel incredible though--just scary. I want you to know that we all are thinking of you though and will be checking in frequently for updates (worry first about evacuating though, and blogging later:).
Oh and hey...I left you a lil' something on my blog for when you're back in the swing.
Hugs to you my friend!
Wow! You guys will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on all of this, it helped me remember what is most important in my life too. Lots of luck!
i've been thinking about you a lot the past few days. We're praying that everything turns out ok for you and everyone in that area! let me know if there is anything I can do for you...i know we're not close by but if you think of anything...let me know!
We have been keeping you and your family in our prayers the last couple of days.
Becky- You are so brave. I can't even imagine. I'm glad you are prepared and you have all of your most precious possessions with you. Our prayers will be with you!
Becky, I'm so glad to know that your prepared and I hope the car ride is the worst of your memories after this. Our prayers are with you and we are thinking of you!
-The Daltons
P.S. If you ever need to leave again (I hope not!) Ryan and I both have family in Dallas that would be happy to have visitors. Sorry I wasn't fast enough to offer this time.
You're post made me cry. I have been thinking about your family so much these last several days. You are in our prayers and know that God will be with you. Safe travels....
We're anxious to hear from y'all---and our door is open.
marlene
I have been thinking of you and am hoping that you guys are okay. It is great that you are prepared and that you have really been thinking through the things that you might need. I will be praying for you guys.
Wow. We will definitely keep you and your family in our prayers. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
I found your blog through Shanna Vineyard. She is my sister. I just wanted to say that I will be praying for you all. Good Luck!
my prayers & thoughts are with you... you sound like such a strong woman & have all that is important right next to you!!
i just got done watching the news & i just keep thinking of you...
hope all is well when you return.. keeping my fingers crossed.
xoxo
heather
I hope all has gone well for you guys with the evacuation. I hope to see a post soon from you saying it has all worked out and you are back home safe and sound.
Oh Becky, you sure know how to get my tears rolling. I have cried for you several times since yesterday (Sat) morning when Heather texted me that they were starting to evacuate New Orleans. We've been praying for you guys non-stop. You are right that you have got three pretty amazing people with you not to mention yourself. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Be safe!
Hey Becky, I hope you don't mind my reading your entries today. Amy called this morning and said she was watching the weather channel and wondering where you guys are and how you're doing and told me to call Sheila again and ask her for an update. When I talked to Sheila she was pretty upset (you know Sheila right? Ya, I love her too!!) and she told me about you and Garrett evacuating your family today and told me about things you had said in your blog. I asked her if I could log on and read it and she said she didn't think you would mind. I just wanted you to know that we are all thinking of you and your family and are praying for your safe return to your home. We pray that you will find all well there and that you will always remember how blessed you are. So many love and admire you both. May you always find safe harbor from any and all of the storms in your lives. We love you, Dori
Post a Comment