But, all that aside, we did manage to do some fun things. Our activities included: Oak Alley plantation, the Quarter, a ride on the Steamer Natchez, the Aquarium, a swamp tour, breakfast at Petunia's in the Quarter (best breakfast on the planet), several trips for sno-balls (twice in one day even), playing Wackee Six until all hours of the night, watching the Olympics, playing Wii, fishing in our pond, dinner at Deanie's, Kenner Seafood, & La Madeleine, lunch at Raising Cane's, and beignets at Cafe du Monde. We got them to try all sorts of good stuff when they were here: crab fingers, crawfish pistolettes, all sorts of seafood (softshell crab, oysters, shrimp, catfish), shrimp po-boys, sweet potato fries, and I'm sure I'm missing something... So, with all of this fun and a few sick kids in the mix, we are definitely exhausted. But we are SO glad we got some visitors. We love visitors! Thanks for coming!!! Here are a few highlights of their trip. (I definitely didn't take pictures of everything since playing photographer while taking care of a very fussy baby just didn't happen.)
Oak Alley Plantation:
This is one of my favorite places in all of Louisiana. It's just gorgeous! Garrett was kind enough to take the day off work to help with the kids, so he watched them while I took Mike and Angie here. It was such a nice break for me!
Here is the view from the veranda of the 28 oak trees that line the walk way out to the road (the trees are over 300 years old, by the way).
We did a little fishing in our pond where Mike caught the biggest fish we've seen come out of there! It got dubbed the "monster".
The Steamer NatchezThis old steamboat takes a ride 6 miles up the Mississippi River and back (docks right from the french Quarter) and gives you a river side tour of the city. It's a very fun and tourist-y thing to do. On this day, Sam felt particularly awful, so dragging him around was pretty hard on him, but he was a trooper. (but he did let us have it when we left to go home and screamed nearly the entire drive home, so we paid for it later)
(Mike and Angie look like frighteningly young parents here in this picture, but I had to get a picture of them with my kids!)And here is a view of downtown from the boat. We could see Garrett's office building from there. In case you were wondering, it is the building that the arrow is pointing to. And if you look really hard you can see him in his office on the 38th floor... ha ha! He was working while we were playing. Too bad he couldn't have taken the day off to watch the kids again while we played...LOL! No really, we would have just enjoyed having him with us!
And this is the paddle behind the boat that we were all fascinated watching, of course.
And this is the best of Sam for the day, the best being not very good. It was a rough day for him.
And Tyler definitely loves taking a ride on that boat, but does not enjoy the horn that is very loud!
Sno-ballsOf course, we had to get our fill of these while they were here, and they were especially good for Sam and his sore gums. They helped him feel much better! Mike and Angie definitely approved of them. They were a big hit.


We hopped on a boat and took a tour of a swamp. It is always fascinating to me. I think swamps are very beautiful in a lot of ways.
Cypress trees line the swamp. They are very cool looking.
And the boys enjoyed hanging out the boat and looking for alligators. (this was the day we finally saw some of our "regular Sam" show through a little bit. He was pretty happy this day.)
Sam especially loved sitting on Garrett's lap, hanging out the boat and literally yelling at the top of his lungs:
And we all got a little up close and personal with some of these:
All from the safety of our boat, of course (and under the care of our tour guide)!


We would throw out marshmallows to get the alligators to come closer. Tyler was THRILLED when the alligator ate "his" marshmallow. We also saw lots of blue heron, egrets, and turtles, but I wasn't able to get any pictures of them.

And that's a wrap. We had a great time and already miss our visitors! Please come back again soon!
Cypress trees line the swamp. They are very cool looking.
And the boys enjoyed hanging out the boat and looking for alligators. (this was the day we finally saw some of our "regular Sam" show through a little bit. He was pretty happy this day.)
Sam especially loved sitting on Garrett's lap, hanging out the boat and literally yelling at the top of his lungs:
And we all got a little up close and personal with some of these:
All from the safety of our boat, of course (and under the care of our tour guide)!

We would throw out marshmallows to get the alligators to come closer. Tyler was THRILLED when the alligator ate "his" marshmallow. We also saw lots of blue heron, egrets, and turtles, but I wasn't able to get any pictures of them.






18 comments:
Thanks so much for being our tour guides :) We had SO much fun, despite the sick kids I promise! We miss you all so so so much already! We did NOT want to come home! Thanks for putting up w/us during this stressful week of sick children lol I love these pictures! Thanks again! We love you!!!
PS-Tell Tyler we miss watching the "Molympics" and going to the "Maquarium" with him :) We had some pretty fun li'l parties! Love ya!
Reading about all the neat stuff down there makes me really want to visit there some day. Sorry your kids have been feeling sick. Hopefully those teeth will break through soon! Those pictures of the alligators are so cool!
Wowee girl! I want to come and visit. All of the photos are just gorgeous! What a great piece of the country that is so foreign to me!
Wow, you guys did a lot!
Your pictures of the swamp are beautiful.
OK, first of all those are some sweet gator pictures - yikes! I love all of those swamp pictures, and that picture of the oak trees is BEAUTIFUL! What a crazy week you had. I can't believe you packed all that fun in amidst sick kiddos!
I wanna come visit! I can't believe the view from the porch at that plantation home! Gorgeous! The brown backgrounds of AZ are starting to get to me. I sure do miss the greenery of the south!
p.s. What lenses are you packing in that camera bag of yours?
I love those first 2 pictures...gorgeous! I also love visitors. looks like a good time was had by all.
You and your sister look just alike! I love the picture of the alligator eating the marshmallow.
Looks like you had a great time! I'm so sorry that Sam has had such a terrible time of things and I hope he's feeling better by now. The poor little kid. I just don't know if I can face the possibility of not going to NOLA again. I kind of like that place and all the pictures make me want to go again so bad. Maybe Thanksgiving! Angie and Mike had such a great time, I'm so glad they got to go. Now if we could just get Todd, Serena and Marilee to go sometime they would all know what it's all about down there. Give the boys a hug for me. I love you guys! MomA
It looks like you all had a wonderful visit together. You hit up all the important places in the area! Good job! And, as usual, beautiful photography. Great job!
Oh, yes! I know the flu and teething all too well! Jack takes WEEKS to teeth...I honestly think it may be more painful for me...I hope Sam getting those little buggers soon! Stay Sane :)
Sick kids are never fun. I'm so amazed you were able to do so much with sick kids. They make something you can buy over the counter called teething tablets, usually by the herbs and that's what got me and Wyatt both through his teething. They just dissolve in the child's mouth very quickly and they help. Just an FYI.
Looks like you had lots of fun with your visitors!! The baby pictures you took are so precious! You do amazing work.
Oh Becky, I feel for you. I can't imagine anything worse than a sick kid, well except for maybe two sick kids. I am impressed you still got out and did as much as you did.
Sam's hair sure has thickened up. he's looking super handsome.
It looks like you managed to do a ton of stuff in spite of two sick little boys. That is a bummer. You can tell in the pictures Tyler just doesnt look like he feels that great---he looks kind of pale. I remember the look of him being nervous when the horn of the steamboat blew. Poor thing. Glad you were able to see and do so much anyway. Hope little Sam has his top teeth by now. All those sites brought back lots of memories for us too. Fun times. Give the boys hugs and kisses from us. love s
Oh, Becky! I hope you guys are coming to Idaho some time soon. Dave and I need our Thalgott fix! How fun that your sis came to visit. You two look so much alike! So sorry to hear about all the sickness. What a bummer! When it rains it pours. Holy amazing plantation! I would love to come and crash with you guys one of these days to see the big easy. You guys are so great!
Post a Comment