I just wanted to check in and update you all that we are safe and sound. I really wanted to update last night, but couldn't get good enough internet access to do so. I know a lot of you have been checking and I had no intention of leaving you in suspense. LOL! I'll probably post more details about our evacuation experience when we get home, but overall our evacuation was very very smooth and I was so relieved. We left our home at 6:00 am yesterday and arrived in Jackson, Mississippi at 12:30 pm, so it was not nearly as long and grueling as some of the stories I've heard. And not as long as some of the other people who came there. And once we arrived, I realized that the drive itself was definitely a big factor in my stress since I knew that Sam would not like it. So I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. We stayed the night last night at our church's stake center there, and headed further north this afternoon where we had a hotel reservation made, so we'll stay here until we head back to our house.
And as far as the storm goes, it looks like our area was spared damage for the most part. Of course there are very widespread power outages and a lot of damage assessments to be done, so we just have to wait now to find out when we can go back. But all in all, it looks like it won't be long. Garrett is thinking he'll head home tomorrow regardless, but I say we'll have to see what they say since I don't want to go home to no power very bad. :) But the worst looks to be over and we are definitely feeling pretty relieved, and will feel much more relieved when we actually are home sleeping in our own beds. And since the hurricane doesn't just disappear, it just shifts direction, it's a strange feeling to be relieved that you are not facing a huge loss, but to feel so sad that someone else is facing that loss instead of you.
Like I said, I think I'll do a more detailed post when we get home, but for now I just want to say thank you so much for all your nice comments, well wishes, phone calls, text messages, thoughts, and prayers. We felt them so much and it was so comforting to know that you were all thinking of us. And it was great to know we had several places to go if we wouldn't be returning home very soon!! We may be taking some of you up on those offers if there is a next time! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
So for now, that's all from your evacuees, or as Garrett likes to call us refugees. :)
Monday, September 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





14 comments:
Wow, Beck. Talk about putting things into perspective! I can't imagine the stress that would be -- to look at your house and choose the things that are most important to you and fit them in your car and drive away. Can't imagine! I teared up reading your last post and am so glad that you're o.k. and that things are "looking up" as much as they can be. I've thought about you MULTIPLE times a day these last few days,and didn't want to bombard you with a phone call, and so I'm glad that you're able to write and let us know that things are O.K.
Miss you and thinking of you!
Thanks for the update, Becky! You've been on my mind a lot today. I'm glad things went as well as they could for you guys in a situation like this. And I hope you're able to be back in your own beds soon! We'll keep you, & all those affected by the storm, in our prayers...
Garrett & Becky: Wow, what an experience that you and your family have gone through. I read your post before your evacuation and thought what I would do in a situation like this. Hurricanes definitely mean a lot more when some one you know could be effected. You have been in our prayers and I have also kept my family informed as my dad has asked a time or two how you guys have been doing.
To my favorite "refugees": :-)
We've been out all day but you have been on my mind the whole day. Mike left his blackberry at home, so I couldn't hound him for weather and news updates. (Clarification: he didn't leave it at home because of me...he just forgot it and that was the result. lol)
Glad to hear you are safe and sound and that your travels were okay. I really hope you are able to head home soon and that all is well. We will keep your sweet family in our prayers!
To the "refugees"---I am so glad you are at your destination safe and sound and that things went so smoothly. You have truely been blessed. You have been in our prayers and on our minds 24-7. It hasnt been what I would call a relaxing weekend for me either just so stressed about you guys but I know it doesnt even come close in comparison. At times today I just wanted to close my eyes and plug my ears as I sat glued to the tv from about 4 am throughout the day. I am sure you will have plenty to tell us all. Hope your "stuff" at home faired as well. Hang in there. I hope Tyler is enjoying his "trip" still. We love you guys. Take care and be safe. Love momt
I have been unable to connect to the internet during all our travels and caught just a short clip that LA was evacuating. I had been thinking of you with all the extra time I have driving and am so glad to hear you are safe and hopefully able to return home soon. I can't imagine what you are going through, but it sure makes me take a second look at being prepared and what is important to me. Be safe and I will keep you in my prayers!
I am sure the nation was praying, as were we, that the storm would weaken, but we felt strangely deflated that it turned out to be only a 2. (Crazy, I know) We were relieved, too, but for you guys, not for us up here in DFW where we need rain desperately. The storm will pass right by to the east of us. :( (Crazy to feel that way about it, I know) Glad you're okay!
Glad to hear your family is safe. I hope the trip back goes as well as the evacuation. Be careful heading back in.
When are you moving west?!
Wow! What an adventure. I'm glad you guys are all safe, though, and that your area didn't have much damage done. I have to say that I'm glad we don't have that kind of excitement in Idaho. :)
happy to hear all is well.. for NOW! :)
Hi Becky! I am SO glad to hear that you guys are all okay and that your home is too. I know, traveling with two little ones can be rough, so I am glad that went ok too. Can you please send me your email address? I seem to have lost it. I have something very important to ask you. Thanks! Love you!
We are glad you guys are ok. Hotel Larsen is always open. Sorry we got the phone call to you guys too late, but we would love to have you visit, especially when their is a crisis. I can't believe the influx of people we have seen here from Louisiana. We have some evacuees staying in our ward boundries and I have visited with quite a few around town. The most important thing is that you guys are safe and sound! Next time though, we take reservations on short notice, the price is cheap, it comes with a continental breakfast, and free internet!
How's my favortie refugees? Thanks for the update, can't wait to hear more, but am so glad to hear all is well.
What an experience, I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are safe. It must have been so scary leaving and not really knowing what to expect. What a blessing for you that it went so smoothly. Good luck on your trip home, hopefully the power will be back soon, and your house will be in order.
Post a Comment