Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our Fishing Hole

I will be honest and say that there are days that it really gets to me that I don't have a backyard to let the boys go run free in. Of course that seems like the solution to all my problems sometimes. But then there's the days that we can walk right down to our swimming pool, go to the putting green, feed the ducks, take walks around the lakes--it's then that I realize this ain't half bad, especially since I don't have to maintain a single part of it! (but we won't even get into how steep the rent is...) And last but not least, we've got our very own fishing hole right outside our door. This, my friends, is my 'backyard'. And let me tell you, having boys and having this, is worth its weight in gold sometimes.
All it takes is a little Lightning McQueen fishing pole and some cheap white bread to use for bait and it's a guarantee that you'll catch oodles of these little guys. They are easy to catch, easy to release, which makes it possible for mom to take the boys fishing. No messing with worms and sometimes I don't even have to touch the fish. Just the way it ought to be! We always have a great time, and the fact that Tyler doesn't get bored waiting and waiting for a fish to bite make it a winner every time.
But let me tell you, putting that bread on the hook is a SERIOUS job, only for those highly skilled in smooshing up the bread and getting it to stick on the hook.

And there is nothing...and I mean nothing...that beats the thrill of the catch! Even if all you're catching is the size of the palm of your hand, it's a thrill I tell ya!

Well, okay, there is one thing that beats the thrill of the catch for me--and that is getting to spend my time with this young man. I love being his mom!
And in other news...all the talk here is about a guy named Gustav who thinks he may stop by for a visit sometime next week. And he's the kind of pesky visitor no one wants to be around for, so we will conveniently be gone if he stops by.
But seriously, it looks like this storm will enter the gulf by the weekend and there is a lot of uncertainty as to what path he will choose to go, but looking at this map (I drew an arrow to where we live) does kind of put me in a bit of a frenzy. It could go east, it could go west, it's impossible to say at the moment. But we did get talking seriously about our evacuation plan and I am feeling a little bit more prepared today than I was yesterday. After a trip to Sam's Club for water and gas (which everyone else in town was getting too, by the way. Craziness!), making a hotel reservation (that can be cancelled if need be...), a trip to the bank and a few other errands, I feel like we could pack up the car and go pretty quickly if need be. Oh yeah, and of course, I made a bunch of lists. Lists are my way of coping in times of crisis! ha ha Crazy that this weekend marks the 3rd anniversary of Katrina and could possibly be the first major storm and evacuation since then. People are definitely watching things closely since the memory of Katrina is still very vivid for many. So, I guess we'll wait and see.
Of course evacuating would be a pain, but I'm also worried that it could throw our plans for a little visit to Des Moines next week (Thursday thru Sunday). I really want to go and our flights are booked, so I'm hoping that this will all end up being much ado about nothing. We shall see...

22 comments:

aidanjordan said...

How fun to have that right there so the boys can go fishing whenever they want! That Tyler sure is serious about his fishing! So cute!

I have been watching the storm too! I thought that since we moved I would get to be hurricane free, but I still watch just as closely as ever. Don't worry though, I will stand outside and blow really, really hard, and maybe that will push eatward. Think it will work?

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

I'm ashamed that I didn't even know about the storm - that must me crazy down there, but I'm glad you're as prepared as you can be. As for the fishing...soooo cute! I had no idea fishing was ever that easy - white bread?! Nor did I know that there was such thing as a Lightning fishing pole :) I love it! Such cute pictures. Such a cute boy!

Lexi said...

That diving pro sure is a fishing pro too! Diving, golfing, swimming, fishing, what doesn't this boy do? He's amazing!

Did 1st Lake make the fishing hole or it just a natural wonder? How come you guys get a putting green and we don't? *Pout* Oh, I think I know why... that steep rent must account for some of it, right? ;-0

As for high rent and hurricanes, I REALLY hope this one amounts to nothing because with Katrina, 1st Lake raised our rent! It's ridiculous what we're paying now {as I'm sure you are well aware} when I know I could be in a house paying a lot less. However, you could not give me a house in this state... too much to worry about between crime, termites and hurricanes!

I will keep my fingers crossed that everything will be fine and that this storm will just disappear!

Amy said...

That fishing hole looks like great fun. If anything comes out of this hurricane and anyone is headed to Houston, we have room at our place, no reservations needed!

Nicole said...

Aw, the sweet, sweet memories.
That's what I thought was insane about this storm, the center dot strait for NOLA, and the date... The days of the weeks are almost exact too. eerie. But, anything can happen. Just be glad you live upstairs. Lets hope it dies or turns. {I like lists too, if I don't misplace them} lol!

Ps. I wish we had a fishing hole, that looks like fun! But, It hasn't rained here for a very, very, very long time. {months} It would probobly be a dryed out pond.

Shay said...

How fun! Going fishing right outside your door.

I really hope the storm doesn't hit you all hard! Good luck that. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.

The Nielsen Family said...

Wow Becky, you know you are a seriously great blogger if you can throw a little Shakespeare in there. Wowee, I can't believe you guys have a fishing pond right there. Right away you've already beat my tiny strip backyard. Your apartment complex sounds like a dream for little boys.

Thanks for giving the update on Gustav. I don't really watch the news anymore because whenever I turn the TV on for me, Carter demands something for him gets put on. Sadly, he always wins. Anyway, I briefly saw something about this storm and was wondering if it will head your way. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Last but not least, oh how happy am I that seeds of friendship are being planted for our little boys. Just keep Tyler and Sam seeing what great friends they could be with Carter Boy and I will do likewise. Tyler cracks me up!!

cshel said...

I love your little fisherman - how fun for a little boy!!

We are praying for you and hope that everything will be fine for you and your family!!! We'll be watching the weather report and hoping to see you next week!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love those pictures. Tyler is so cute concentrating on putting that amazing bait on the hook. Brings back some great memories. I am so worried about the hurricane situation. Are you sure you just dont want to book a flight to Idaho and not worry about the traffic etc. We are praying for you guys. Take care. It sounds like you are somewhat prepared. I have the chills. Love mom. I hope the wii stuff arrives today!!! Tyler would be so sad. Let me know. K? love you guys.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

I've been thinking about you as I've watched the news. I'm glad you've got an evacuation plan all set up. Hopefully you won't have to carry it out, but better to be safe then sorry. Those pictures of Tyler are just too cute. You are such a GREAT photographer! You capture the neatest expressions. Good job!

Heitmann Family said...

Love the fishing pics, he is 100% boy isn't he!! I hope you don't have to worry about the storm, I think of you guys every time they mention a storm headed for the gulf!!

Campbell Family said...

Um, ya. I've totally been thinking about you and hoping that you're going to be O.K. Life just doesn't seem to get too boring for you, living in New Orleans! Please keep us updated if you can so that we won't be worrying about you!

Hillary said...

Oh goodness you are just worrying us sick! I hope all goes well for you. You are always welcome here at Hotel Kirwan if you need a place to stay. I can get you some real cheap reservations and some great entertainment! I love you all lots!

Doug, Marilee & Co. said...

You can have our entire basement to yourselves, if you want!! Oh yeah, and there aren't even any thunderstorms predicted here, let alone hurricanes!! I LOVE IDAHO!!

Heather said...

he is adorable! I hope you can make it on your trip!! Seriously i wish i had writing talent like you... i can type like 3 words and call it good for me!! I love how detailed you are!

Anonymous said...

i agree with your mom in that you should book it to idaho. we'll be watching the news and praying mr. gustav doesn't head your way! :)love, kambrel
p.s. mom knows best

Jo Ann Anderson said...

Fishing is so much fun!! I miss the pond we had before we moved. Luckily it is not too far and we still visit sometimes. I am glad to hear you are prepared....a little extra water never hurt anyone. As for your trip.....yaaa for you that you are coming to Des Moines....boo for me as we are headed to Idaho. Have a great trip!

Jo Ann Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cook Family said...

Ty loves to go fishing too. We don't have our own pond but our bishop lets us fish in his pond when ever we want. Our special bait is hotdogs. P.S. I hope Gustav decides to take a detour!

Challis said...

Man, I hope that everything is okay. I feel better knowing that you guys have an escape plan just in case. I would guess that it's unlikely another hurricane would hit in the same place and at the same velocity as three years ago, but we didn't think that three years ago either...Be safe and we'll be thinking of you!!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Am I just being a worry-wart, or is it ok for me to hope that you guys are currently getting the heck out of Dodge? It's always hard to tell if the media is hyping something up or not, but I just keep picturing the destruction I saw there after Katrina...and then being a worry-er doesn't seem so bad anymore. Throw a quick post up from wherever you are when you get a chance to let all your faithful blog-followers know you're alright, ok? :)

Lindsay said...

K I'm glued to Fox News, and am hoping you update us shortly on how it's going there... Glad you are prepared!
xo Lindsay