Friday, July 18, 2008

The Heat. It's Getting to Me.

I believe I am suffering from heat-induced lack of sanity. Our ventures out of the house consist of walking to the pool, swimming, and walking home. Other than that, our adventures out are kept at a minimum--generally consisting of necessary errands that need to be run. So at times we all go a little stir crazy and we all start doing bizarre things.
For instance, this activity is not allowed at our house. Especially kept off limits since we got our new mattress and our new bedding. And since it's not allowed, it is truthfully very rarely attempted. But yesterday proved to be a different story for all parties involved.
He climbed on my bed and jumped. Once. And he glanced at me with a sure look on his face, knowing I was going to tell him to get down. And I just ignored it. So he jumped again. And again. And I, just for that moment, didn't really care that he was jumping on my bed. Every time I turned my head in his direction, he looked at me just expecting that he was going to have to get down. And I can honestly only blame it on the heat, because I just didn't stop him. I guess I figured it wasn't the worst thing in the world at that moment. So away he jumped.
And he jumped. And he laughed. And he said it was so much fun. And he would plop right down, let out a big sigh, and then say that it was such hard work jumping on the bed.
And then...I lost it even a little bit more when I obeyed the command of: "Mom, you must take a picture of me jumping on your bed". I'm a tad concerned that he may have had the foresight to realize that he may need photographic evidence of my temporary lack of sanity to use against me in the future when he wants something.
So I took pictures, he jumped, and I actually just enjoyed the sound of wonderfully genuine laughter and joy. But I'm sure I will regret this when he thinks he can get away with this all the time.
But have no fear, I believe there is hope for my condition and a possibility of my sanity returning. When Tyler said "Mom, now YOU jump on the bed and I'll take YOUR picture", I declined. So maybe I'm not as crazy as I think I am.
And what was Sam doing admist all this craziness? Just sitting on the floor sampling one of the many cell phone chargers that migrate there. And...I didn't stop him. Gosh, it's getting hot in here.

13 comments:

Brooke S said...

You should have jumped! It's very fun!

And be careful with cell phone chargers. My husband worked at a jewelry store and a lady came in and two of her rings has been soldered together by her 2 year old with a cell phone charger. (One gold and one silver - which require pretty hot temperatures to melt!)

But I love all of your stories and can definitely see Garrett in your boys!

The Nielsen Family said...

I have had several of those "insanity" moments. I can't believe the things I have allowed Carter to do. Looking back I think what was I thinking? It's all about survival sometimes I suppose. But regardless those are great action shots.

Alison said...

That is sooo funny!! Yes, I have temporary insanity, too. Somedays, its just like, "Ugh, OKAY, do it quick!!!! I also have to agree with Brooke that sometimes you just have to jump! Today, I climbed into a jungle gym and rode the slide out :)

mccready's said...

Ah. The heat. I hear ya! But the pool must feel great huh?

Maxwells said...

I remember when we moved to LA from KY, it was July and Annie was 6 months old. We ventured out to Walmart, it was so hot I don't think we left the apartment for a long time after that. And I am from LA and still can't handle the heat. Now in DE I can't take the winter.

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

Looks like Tyler had a great time! My boys LOVE to sneek into my room and jump on my bed. Three boys on a bed can be dangerous. For example look at Todd's head (if you don't know, you'll have to check out one of my latest entries).

Tara said...

It may be a big no, no but the shots of Tyler are great.

The McDonalds said...

Becky, I'm obcessed with looking at your pictures! You're so talented! I love to see what your fam is up to, but especially watch the way you capture your cute boys in such perfect moments!! If I don't get you to take pics before the baby, I'm definitely going to be calling right after the new one!! I really want some Becky pics of my babies!

Michelle Lake said...

I love it! We love you guys and we're both cracking up over here. You know - we can't go swimming while we're on a mission - that's makes it even hotter. But we sure get a kick out of looking at your blog. We love you guys and we're so glad we don't have to move to Alexandria. Check out our blog www.elderandsisterlake.blogspot.com

Kristy said...

I would have liked to see a picture of you jumping on the bed! LOL
Do you guys come back to Idaho to visit every year? We had lots of fun today seeing Amber, Tiffany, & Julianna. It was fun to catch up, I can't believe we've been out of high school for 9 years.

Kristy said...

Ha ha ha....too funny! Those are awesome photos, yet I do have to say that I am sorely dissapointed that there are no photos of you jumping. Hmmmmmm....I think I'll have to bribe Tyler with something to catch that on camera!

Tenise said...

Ahahaha!! You are too cute!! LOL!! We're having the same heat problems here. Those pictures are SO incredible! You are such an amazing photographer!

Katie said...

I can't believe how big your kids are getting. They are so cute. Tyler looks so much like Garrett. Anyway, hope you are all doing well.