Saturday, May 3, 2008

I. Love. Color.

I did it. I converted some pictures to black & white. Why is this a big deal, you ask? I don't know why, to be honest. I don't dislike black & white pictures. In fact, I often totally admire other peoples' black & whites and see some and think to myself "wow, that is a timeless picture. It really is breathtaking." But then I take my own pictures and when it comes to clicking buttons to convert it to black & white, I hesitate. I have a hard time letting go of that color.
That bright, vivid, capture-ever-bit-of-the-moment color. The color that will tell me in 20 years from now what the styles were and what color my baby's eyes were.
The color that can almost tell me what year I'm in just by looking at it.
But then I see some other black & whites and marvel and wonder why I have such a hard time letting go of color.
But then I do it and I have mixed feelings. I love that the lack of color allows me to solely focus on this beautiful baby's face and eyes and the emotions in the picture. And 20 years from now I won't be looking at this picture saying "wow, can you believe we dressed our kids in THOSE colors???". I think that is why I do love newborn photos in black and white, because it is easier to look at the details of the beautiful baby and not the surroundings that can sometimes distract.
But then I also kind of miss the color of his eyes... And in 20 years, I might like a good laugh looking at the colors of clothes we wore!
So, now that I've gone off on an incredibly strange tangent, please enlighten me. Do you prefer your pictures in color or in black & white? Do you see them as timeless treasures and love what they capture OR do you love color and all that it captures? And why? Or are they maybe some types of pictures you like in black & white and some types that just have to be in color? I'd love, love, love to know your insights (and of course to know if I'm the only one who feels this way!). Thank you for the enlightenment!

17 comments:

Alison said...

Okay, I TOTALLY agree with you. I never buy B&W professionaly photos. I LOVE color!! I was sooo upset that our wedding photographer finished off her last roll of B&W (at the most beautiful gardens we were at and you can't see the color)and the only picture I liked was (of course) B&W. I think you should always take color and then if you REALLY want to, you can make it B&W but it can't go the other way. I must say, Sam is still as adorable as always in B&W...and it's fun for a change :) I guess I have a stong opinion in the favor of color-

Maxwells said...

I like both. I think it depends on the picture. He is such a cute little guy!!

cshel said...

I love both kinds of pictures, though I mostly go for color. Sometimes, black & white photos are just classic and timeless though so that's nice.

cshel said...

Wanted to add: I love the one photo of Sam smiling and looking up. So cute.

Cook Family said...

I love color pictures for my personal use but, I have to admit I am totaly drawn to B&W photos. You really do focus more on the details when it is B&W.

The Nielsen Family said...

Becky, every picture in this post was breathtaking. They made me get teary-eyed just by looking at them. I really don't know if it had anything to do with the black and white. I know it had to do with Sam's beautiful, big, bright, expressive eyes and his adorable smile that's always filled with such joy. Simply Beautiful!

aidanjordan said...

I love any photo you take- b&w or color!

Ashley said...

I like both, but anything you do with a camera is totally amazing. You are so talented!!!They look great.

kdance said...

I agree--I have a hard time letting go of color. I'm in love with these pics of Sam, though.

Love the new truck! Congrats!!!

BTW, that Turbo Tax eggs story was the best. Gotta love Tyler!

Anonymous said...

You know me, I love color and lots of it, but these photo of Sam are simply amazing. His eyes and smile are to die for. I really love them all, but there's something about the one of him looking up that really touches my heart. Maybe you should post them in color now so it will be easier to decide. Love MomA

Hillary said...

Becky!! I was on Natalie's blog and found your fam. Your boys are darling!! I can't believe how Tyler looks like Garrett and how your little one looks like you. Your pictures are awesome. I see your Dad every now and again and he gives me an update on where you guys are. Your family is beautiful!

Hillary said...

Sammy is so dang sweet. I love his cute little face!

Anonymous said...

I love the third picture of him. And I really like in in b&w but I would probably love it in color too. I cant believe how much hair he still has. I would love to be able to kiss his cute little cheeks. You will have to do that for us. love and miss you tons. Grandma t

emily said...

I feel similar to you that color captures so much more than b&w, but there are definitely photos that were MEANT to be black and white. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a real formula for finding out which photos those are. Trial and error, sister, trial and error. However, the b&w with the splash of color that you did with some of angie's wedding photos really gives you the best of both worlds...the color gives you something to focus on, and the rest gives you that timeless feel. Don't you just LOVE photoshop and how many possibilities it gives you for each picture???

Lexi said...

I adore black & white photography. Some day, I hope to have a 'Pottery Barn house' and showcase art like they do in their catalog pages. I'm all for eye popping color in paint and accesories and leaving the portraits simple to draw the eye in. There are shadows and definition that aren't there in color photo's. Of course, I love both, but when I want to frame pictures soley of Peyton (no scenery or backdrops, simply his face) I seem to want the black and white look. Sam is a great subject and those pictures are DEFINITELY ones to frame for your mantel ;-)

{Erica} said...

okay so here i go.

color: used to not like it. I like that black and white doesn't distract from the feelings or emotions you're trying to draw from the viewer...color distracts...or so i thought...now that i've had hundreds of sessions under my belt i like color. some pictures just look better in color. the family dressed in muted colors except for a bright red accessory that makes the picture pop would look so lame in B&W...

B&W:I prefer detail pictures in black and white. by detail i mean those of a hand, the lacey detail of a dress...any sort of picture that you want an emotion to be expressed.

while editing each and every picture I work on is turned B&W...it's fun to see what emotions are drawn out as soon as I flatten the image and see the end result in black and white...

so all of these words to basically say I like both and the one I like more depends on the individual picture :)

did you like this novel?
ps you kids are adorable in any color :)

Heitmann Family said...

I love color too but there is something about a black and white that just appeals to me. I love these pics of Sam. I think with black and white you get to see the raw image so to speak. No color to draw your eye somewhere else but right to the picture. Yet vibrant colors are awesome too. You can't go wrong though with a model like Sam or Tyler!!