Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An Evening by the Lake & Adventures in Manual

Sunday was quite possibly the perfect day, as far as weather is concerned. Warm, but not too hot, very low humidity, no wind, etc. Just the type of day you wish could last forever and the type you could stay out in all day long. So after church, naps, and dinner, we drove to the lake to take a stroll along the levee. And seems how it is a 5 minute drive from our house, why wouldn't we go?!
Of course, much of the time was spent stopping rather than strolling, to let Tyler pick up rocks and throw them in the lake. And it's funny how two years ago, I could hardly even say "Lake Pontchartrain", and now I have a 3 year old who says it. Although, he pronounces it more like "Lake Pawn Chun Train", but hey, that's pretty close (and probably better than the first time I pronounced it!).
And then, I had my very own "ah-ha!" moment. And it went something like this (with a little background first). Two years ago, when I bought my camera, I brought it home, put it in auto mode and started taking pictures. I liked the pictures just fine, but always wanted to learn more and achieve more dramatic shots, greater depth of field, etc. So, a year ago, I started my own study of exposure. I read books, played around a lot, read a lot of articles, and felt like I understood the concept of exposure (aperture + shutter speed + ISO) pretty well. I understood it, but was still pretty intimidated by choosing my own exposure. I felt pretty comfortable with choosing my own aperture, so I did, however put my camera in aperture priority mode at that point and it has not been taken out of that mode since. I kept reading and playing around and about a month ago, I turned that little dial on my camera to "M" and started taking pictures in complete manual mode. It has very much been a learning experience, but I've liked what I've been learning. So....this evening was when things really "clicked" in my mind. I had fun playing with the light we had that evening and by selecting my own aperture AND shutter speed, getting much different results. So, for instance, the photo up above was taken just seconds before this photo below. And the results differ just from changing up my exposure. Like I said, it was the complete "ah-ha" for me. I was kind of excited about it.
I have always loved silhouette sunset shots and was excited to finally have some of my own. So I just played around and adventured in manual all evening.

And I was intrigued by the fact that I could get the picture above and the picture below in a matter of seconds by selecting my own exposure instead of having the camera do it for me.
And now I have some of my favorite pictures to date, some of my cute boys that will be put in frames. And that, for me, makes a perfect evening! :)




24 comments:

Lexi said...

A*D*O*R*A*B*L*E!!!
I love the silouette shots too!
The light glimmering on the lake was stunning and the boys look so darling together sitting on the 'shore'. I definitely need to have a photo shoot with you one of these days!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I keep coming back to look at your pictures. I love them, you do a good job. These turned out really fun.

Kayleen said...

Gorgeous dear! I have to say that m mode is a little intimidating, but gives the most control with a little practice. These sunset shots are amazing! Great job!

Elicia said...

Beautiful! My favorite is the second to the last one and then the one where the boys are sitting together. Priceless! And you inspire me to search out something I can learn about and share. Thanks for sharing!!

Melissa said...

I love those. I need to talk to you about this. I have been messing around with the AV setting and my pictures have been turning our way better. I want to figure out the Manual setting but I am so nervous. Congrats - that is a big deal to figure that out!

aidanjordan said...

I LOVE THESE! I wish I could spend hours and hours with you and you could teach me all you know about cameras.

Heitmann Family said...

Love, love your pictures. I so want to get a new camera, but that will have to wait. I'll live through your pictures though!!

Shay said...

Great pictures! I LOVE the pictures of them sitting by the shore together!

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures Becky. If I told you which ones I wanted could you please print some for me. They are so good. Sounds like you had a great evening and looks like it too!!! At least you did!!! love s

The Nielsen Family said...

WOW!!! Those pictures are impressive. I LOVE the pic w/ T's arm around Sam. These are just plain amazing.

emily said...

You must feel so liberated to have such control! I have yet to go there...can't wait til the day I feel so confident! Your pictures turned out PERFECT.

Shuldberg Family said...

Those were beautiful pictures. I only get pictures like that on accident.

Ashley said...

That looks like an awesome place to go, John and I think you should enter your photos in competitions or something.

Nicole said...

The two of them together is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!

Hillary said...

FABULOUS!!

Shannon said...

Wow, I loved those shots of your two boys looking off into the sunset! How cute that Tyler put his arm around his little brother. I hope I have an ah-ha moment like that someday. I have had my camera in auto mode for 10 months now. I've tried pictures in manual a few times, with some pretty disastrous results. I think reading a few books will help. Thanks for always inspiring me! I still want to come have you explain my camera to me. Maybe I need to study a little bit first, so we are speaking the same language!:)

Jo Ann Anderson said...

Becky!!! Oh how talented you are!!! I LOVE the pictures and wish I had an eye for photography like you do.

Alison said...

Wow! Love the pictures! And yes, they would be my "new" favorites as well :)

Kristy said...

I absolutely love the pictures of your boys together, so cute. So your inspiring me to read up a little on the things my camera can do. It's not as fancy as yours, but it does have a manual mode-which I have never used.

Scott, Aimee, & Emily said...

Very, very, very nice!!!! I love the silhouette look too!!!

Tamara said...

You have like 4000 comments on this blog, but I don't care I'll add to it. I think I need a Becky tutorial on the finer points of using the cool things on a camera. We just got a new one and it has all kinds of settings and options that mean nothing to me, but after seeing yours it makes me want to figure it out! I'll try, but don't be surprised if you get an email asking questions! Your pictures are so stinkin' awesome!

cshel said...

I have always loved your photos and these are amazing. My favorites are of your two little angels sitting. So cute.

Thanks for sharing your many talents!!!

M & S Eagar said...

Becky- Those are some really neat pictures! If you lived closer to me, I'd hire you in a heartbeat! Then, I'd pay you for lessons!

Shelby said...

These are great pictures, Becky! Manual mode is so intimidating, but it's really fun when you finally make the switch and can feel pretty good about the pictures that you took with it--I'm still learning on mine, too!

I also loved your post on Mother's Day--very sweet sentiments that I can totally relate to!