There are many times that it's crazy to me--almost unreal--that we live in the South, and better yet, in New Orleans. Garrett and I often even laugh about it. Like when some crazy thing on CNN happened in New Orleans, or the Food Network has one of its many shows here, or you see one of the many shows rehashing Hurricane Katrina--we almost just chuckle and say "can you believe we live here?". Here we are, two Idaho kids, living in the Deep South. Sometimes I almost forget we're here and other times it's just kind of surreal. And I got a good chuckle the other night in one of the moments that had me going "Isn't it crazy that I live here?"We have some very nice neighbors and chat occasionally, but usually only really see each other when we are coming and going and say hi and such. They have said sweet things about my boys, brought us cake once, and generally had a smile and a wave each time we see them. But since we are usually coming or going when we see them, they hadn't had a good look at Sam in quite a while. I was doing a few things out in the garage and was holding him in my arms, so this time she got a real good look. And she just couldn't believe how big he'd gotten. And her remarks went something like this:
"Oh my! That is one fiiiiine baby. Oh, girl, what you been feedin' him? He is all buttuh 'n grits. That's right, Buttuh 'n grits. Oh baby, you are just fiiiine. Your mama's put you on buttuh 'n grits, hasn't she?"
And all I could do was laugh. Sweet life in the South, where our babies aren't cute, they are fine, and we don't feed them mashed potatoes and gravy--it's all butter and grits! I guess he's all sorts of butter 'n grits and I'm loving every bit of it--especially since it must mean you've got just the right amount of rolls in all the right places. Absolutely delicious!
Tyler has been calling him "Little Butter and Grits" since then.


It's definitely the little happenings like these that will bring a smile to my face when I think about living here. :) There are certainly a lot of things about living in New Orleans that I could do without, but things like butter and grits have made my life a whole lot sweeter.





16 comments:
Instead of the Michelin baby you've got a "butter 'n Grits" baby!! I LOVE IT
That is really cute. Ben and I will often find ourselves saying, "Only in New Orleans." He is adorable.
What a CUTE baby! He looks so happy.
That is such a cute story, it sounds like you live in a great place with great people. I am happy to hear that you are liking it there. Grant is so adorable!!!
Who doesn't love butter and grits?! I love that nickname for him. He is absolutely perfect, just adorable.
Oh I do miss the south for that same reason! Butter and grits indeed!
I have never had butter and grits, but it sounds like it would fatten up a cute baby. Sam definitely has all the rolls in the right places! What a cutie! (I love how you typed in the southern accent.)
HYSTERICAL!! From Blackfoot, Idaho to a world of "buttah n grits". I can only imagine the culture shock. I read your blog out loud to Mike and he laughed his head off (it could have been my lovely southern accent I did as I read it). It sounds like you must be doing something right to get that kind of praise for your adorable Sam.
Absolutely delicious is right!!! LOVED your story! Thanks for commenting on my blog - GREAT to hear from you! xoxo
Love it! Sam is such a cute baby...chubby babies are the best :) Maybe I'll start calling Lincoln that too...
Yum, yum buttuh N' Grits. Sam's face is looking more grown-up in these pictures. Your Fiiiiiiine baby is growin up.
I can't believe the pictures that you got of Tyler levitating above ground in the below post. Crazy.
That is a cute story! Or shall I say "Fine" story! MY BFF is from the south so I completely understand the different "language." Hope you guys are doind well.
Alison
SO CUTE! Love the butter 'n grits saying. My baby is also quite healthy, buy has recently started losing his baby fat. I also love your rain pictures. How fun, he looks like he is having a blast. I think your right our boys would be great friends!
Sam IS one fine little boy. And I love baby rolls. It's the only time chunk is cute and adorable. :-)
Looks like he is growing great on butter & grits. Grandpa Fred would think that was great. He looks so cute in his rolls. Love him. grandma t
Goodness that little boy looks like his daddy! I love seeing him grow up both at church and on your blog.
Post a Comment