Friday, April 4, 2008

Soul Fest

Here are the last of my "old" pictures from my old hard drive. And after this, everything will be current. But like I said, since this is where I currently document our family life (since I haven't scrapbooked in ages...), I'm still puttin' em up! :)
March 1, 2008
On the first day of March, we decided to get out and enjoy the amazing weather, since this is the time of year that you think Louisiana is paradise. Ask me again in two months and I will surely not be thinking that... So, we headed out to the zoo since nothing beats going to the zoo on a beautiful day. Especially this zoo. I love this zoo! And we had heard that the sea lions recently returned for the first time since Hurricane Katrina. I guess they have been in Texas since the storm and they are back home now. And we've been anxious to see them.

As we drove up to the zoo, it was obvious to us that there was some big event going on because we were pretty sure there could be that many people there just because it was a nice day! We pulled up and realized it was Soul Fest in honor of Black History Month. So, all the more fun. That meant we'd get music and great food along with the great weather at the zoo!
So, we saw some of our favorite animals, as always. We can't miss out on the monkeys or the elephants. The sea lions were great and somehow I managed to come home without even ONE picture of them...Hmmm, don't know how that happened!
The kids were great and seemed to love being out in the great weather as well. Sam was just being the cute little man that he is, hanging out in the stroller, watching everything that was going on.

Home Depot Kids Workshop was there doing free kids workshops. When we went to Swamp Fest back in November, they were all out of projects so Tyler didn't get to build anything, but we got in on the action this time and he was able to build a bug catcher (with Dad's help, of course!). So he thought that was totally cool as you can imagine.

He's been setting it out and trying to catch bugs ever since then and I can't say that it's been all that successful. But it's still been fun. And hey, he got a free apron out of the deal, so it was a total score!
And then we hit the stage and listened to some live Jazz music.
And that meant that Tyler couldn't hold himself back and headed for the dance floor, of course. And Sam happily looked on.
And looked on... :)
And some of my favorite sights for the day (besides my yummy dish of jambalaya) were the beautiful flowers that were in bloom all over. I have no idea what these are called, but the pink is so bright and so awesome. I love it!
And my other favorite sight was chubby little bare baby feet that made an appearance to enjoy the nice weather. I love it when it is warm enough to not have to put socks and shoes on babies (since they are always falling off anyways!) because I just love baby feet!

12 comments:

Ashley said...

So fun, I can't get over your amazing photos, they are incredible.

Maxwells said...

I am pretty sure those are azaleas, don't know if that is spelled right. They were all over my college campus in Lake Charles. Oh, I wish it was warm enough to go to the zoo, but New Orleans is a hard one to live up to.

Jo Ann Anderson said...

So glad to hear that I am not the only one trying to catch up on my blog. I too have not scraped in ages and feel ok with that knowing that at least I have it documented somewhere and will scrap it when I am old and gray. Oh ya I forgot I am already gray and quickly getting old... I would love to have a sunny day at the zoo. We had snow yesterday. Your kiddos are WAY cute and you do so many fun things with them.

Tara said...

They do that home depot thing here in the store on a certain Saturday of the month and each time they go they get a pin to add to their apron. I know you can look on home depots web site and find the clinics if any in your area and what Saturday they are for sure. Looks like you had lots of fun.

Lexi said...

Baby Sam... you are a cutie pie! I love the close up (you know, the close, close up) picture of him. How brave of you to still venture into the zoo during the Soul Fest. I'm usually crazy from the crowds on a normal day so I can't imagine how busy it must have been- but it sounds like it was totally worth it for some good jambalaya and some soul music. How fun that Tyler got to make his own bug house! I know that must have been right up his alley. Love the pictures- as always!

Ashley said...

What kind of camera do you have again, I am looking at them finally and forgot, it is awesome.

cshel said...

I love baby feet too....so cute when they are little.

Home Depot does a great job with kids and I'm sure Tyler LOVED it. Looks like a great March day for your family.

Shannon said...

We went to Soul Fest as well, but we got there after they ran out of Home Depot projects. I guess we'll have to head out with you guys to the zoo next time they have a festival(a little earlier perhaps)! I have to agree with you on the baby feet! I can't get over little Benjamin's feet. Your pictures are incredible! I need to learn a whole lot from you!

{Erica} said...

I love the pictures (no surprise there) and love how fun you are with your kids!

Tamara said...

You are one talented gal Becky! Your pictures are beautiful. It also helps that your kids make pretty darn amazing subjects to take pictures of. I've come to the conclusion that you live to far away from us. Any chance of coming back this way sometime soon??

The Nielsen Family said...

The up close picture of Sam's eye is amazing! Fun pictures and a fun day!

kdance said...

You always get out and do the funnest things! That picture of Sam's eye is amazing--love it!