Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Swimming Lessons

So, this is what we have been doing with our time in the early evenings on Mondays and Wednesdays for the last two weeks. There are two weeks left of the class and I'm already considering putting him in for another round of lessons in May. He is having so much fun and it is always the highlight of his week. He is the youngest in his class by quite a ways (there are only three other kids in his class), and all things considered, he's doing pretty good with it. He is very playful and thinks it's 'all for fun' but we have talked a lot about listening to the teacher and trying to do ______ (fill in the blank) better next time. And he actually usually does try a little harder at the next class, believe it or not. He refers to his teacher Ryan as "my friend Ryan" and tells Ryan he has crazy hair every single time he goes to class. And Ryan still seems to like him after that. But I figured I'd better get him warmed up to the water and get him a few water skills (since I know now that he will not be actually swimming any time soon...) since the time of spending our days at the pool is quickly approaching. I love having quick access to the pool, just walking distance away, during the summers here. It is the only saving grace during a summer in Louisiana! So we're excited to start swimming, and working on our tans, but I am SO SO SO not excited to get in a swimsuit (the things you'll do for your kids, I tell ya). 'Nuff said.
(and please pardon a litle grainy-ness in the pictures. i had to up my iso quite a bit to deal with the lighting in the pool area, which means more grain in the pictures. and some from the day pictured below still turned out a bit dark--probably because i was sitting on a different side of the pool. it was just kind of a weird light... sorry to get off on a tangent!)
Oh, and do not fear. The blue goggles (or dogduls, as T calls them) were just loaners for a day. He now has his very own pair of--you guessed it--GREEN ones.
Here he is with his teacher Ryan with the "crazy hair". (really, it's not that crazy! don't know where T came up with that.)

12 comments:

Kayleen said...

CUTE! These pictures are so cute (grainy or not! I didn't notice by the way!) My kids are signing up this summer too and I'm so excited to go watch every day. I WILL NOT be getting into a swim suit. I don't care if swimming is supposed to be the best exercise for pregnancy. It wouldn't be the best exercise for my self esteem.

cshel said...

Fun pictures. They look great BTW.

We are finally starting to see an upswing in our temps here. :-)

Camille said...

I think that all of the pictures you post on your blog are amazing! It's not quite warm enough for swimming here, but I'm looking forward to signing my kids up for lessons. I'll be letting Rian take them so that I can take care of the baby and so that I don't have to put on a bathing suit either.

Ashley said...

So fun, I used to love swimming lessons as a kid. That is great!!!I would just keep signing him up!!!

The Nielsen Family said...

Swim lessons already geez what fun! I am actually thinking of putting Carter in a swim class of some kid this summer. If nothing else I want lots of fun in the sun and water. That is definitely one of the pluses of living in an apartment in having access to a pool.

aidanjordan said...

I just love how cute and expressive Tyler is!

Lexi said...

That's one lean, green (goggled) swimming machine! That looks like a lot of fun. Tell Tyler that after he's done learning his lessons, he can give me some. I still don't know how to do much more than doggie paddle and I get so tired so fast-Troy says it's because I'm not doing it right! Way to go Tyler! Swim like a fish!

Anonymous said...

Becky! I always love your blog!! these two most recent posts are so dang cute (along w/all the others). Reading your post always seem to brighten the days :) love ya miss ya like crazy!
~Ang~

Henricksen Family said...

so stinking cute!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alison said...

Totally cute! Jack has his first swim lesson in week. I am so excited! Love the pictures!!

mccready's said...

What a happy kiddo! He looks as delighted as can be in that pool!