Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Out with the "old, old, old"---In with the "not so old"

It is time to blog about yet another new member of the family....I know, it's been a big year for our family, hasn't it?! But after getting stranded twice, leaving the old pickup on the side of the Earhart Expressway for a couple of days, and sinking more money than it was worth into repairs, we decided the time had come to upgrade. The vehicle which Tyler had dubbed the "old old old junky gray pickup" just wasn't reliable enough for Garrett to drive to work and back every day. So....after weeks and weeks of looking, Garrett finally found his new baby. We had looked locally only to find a lot of really really beat up vehicles and a few with flood titles from Katrina (neither of which we cared to get ourselves into...). So, then Garrett started searching afar for something and found this on ebay. We have purchased a lot of things on ebay, but this was our first vehicle purchase, and I have to say, it was really a pretty good experience overall. It was in Houston, so it was a reasonable distance to make it work. So instead of cruising around town (or sitting by the side of the road broken down) in a rusty 1992 GMC with 229,000 miles on it, he is now doing it in a 2003 Chevy Silverado with LESS than 100,000 miles on it. Woohoo! Mileage in a number that is less than 6 digits is pretty exciting for us!
And to go and pick it up, Garrett purchased a one way ticket to Houston and when he was booking the ticket, he came to me and said "I think I want to take T with me." I kind of sat there for a second with a blank stare because I was first surprised that he just thought of that out of the blue, and then because I couldn't think of any reason for him not to! So I said okay, and he booked a second ticket and then had himself a companion for the flight there and the drive home. They were both so excited to go and it was so cute! I dropped them off at the airport in the morning before they flew out and when I said good bye to Tyler, he was really playing it up and was pretending to be sad and that he was going to miss me just to appease me. It was pretty funny because you could see right through him! He was just too excited to be sad! So I said good bye to the boys, and was kind of sad actually for about two minutes until I got home and put Sam down for a nap and crawled right back into bed. The sadness mysteriously went away at that point! :) And later that day I even went to the mall with just Sam...again, I wasn't very sad anymore! LOL I'm just glad that Garrett does things like this with Tyler. It's so great! Here they are right before they took off at the airport.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you found us! The Big Easy, huh? That came as a surprise! And your boys are adorable!!! I'm not going to show Bryan this truck pics...he wants one so bad :)

cshel said...

How fun for your boys!! I love that Tyler was playing being sad about going. :-) I love the color of the new truck too - congrats!

Heitmann Family said...

What a good dad to take his little man with him. I bet Tyler loved it!!! Love the "new" truck too!!

aidanjordan said...

What a good dad! I bet Tyler had a blast!

Nicole said...

How fun! Happy for Garrett, great to have peace of mind

Shannon said...

Isn't it so nice to upgrade from a car that requires you to sink far more money into it than it is worth!? We had a JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)that caused us severe money shortages. Wow, was I glad to get our Honda Accord. So, congratulations!! I love that Garrett took Tyler with him. What a great dad. Those are the types of memories your little guy will treasure. These little outings with Dad will also keep you sane:)

Anonymous said...

Nice pick up Garrett. I am glad you guys got it and I think it is awsome that you wanted to take Tyler. Glad you guys had a safe trip. I bet Little T just loved it and I know you loved having him. Love mom

Anne-Marie said...

yay! that is so fun! sometimes I wish for Jon to think of things like that. :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty sweet ride ya got there! It doesn't look very much like Dad's truck. It seems lighter blue, or maybe it's just because your truck looks really clean! That's probably why! LOL
Tell Garrett now it's time for some big tires and a lift kit. After all, you are Idahoans (i.e., rednecks) at heart!! Marilee

The Nielsen Family said...

Wowee, all this male-bonding time!! Way to go GT! I hope the drive home went well!