Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We Love to See the Temple

Saturday, January 26, 2008
On Saturday, Garrett had the opportunity to go to the temple with a member of our ward who was going through for the first time. We hadn't made any arrangements for a sitter so I could go, but at the last minute, we decided that since we wanted to spend some time with Daddy, we would pack up in the car and drive to Baton Rouge with him and wait for him during the session. So, with our kids and my camera in tow, we drove to Baton Rouge. It was a rainy/overcast day and kind of chilly, but it was still very enjoyable to be outside for a while and enjoy the temple grounds. The BR temple is in a beautiful location, and creates a very nice, quiet escape from the outside world (as do all temples, don't they?). There are some gorgeous trees and scenery nearby and Tyler had a great time just playing outside while we waited. So, here are a few pictures from our day.

It was fun to talk a little bit about the temple. Tyler was excited to spot Angel Moroni and the "trumpet". Although, he is convinced that Angel Moroni is a girl. I guess because angels must all be girls, right?! I guess we've got some teaching to do... :)
I'm sure you've all seen this look from Tyler before. We usually just call it the scowl, but it's not so much a scowl. It's just a look that says "I'm concentrating very hard on what I'm doing". But regardless of that, if it's caught on camera, it definitely looks like a scowl. I think it needs a name. Maybe we need to call it "Blue Steel", or "Magnum" possibly (any Zoolander fans out there?).
As is a theme with all pictures of Tyler outside--give the boy a stick and he'll stay entertained for hours. They were all over the place and one was always in his hand.






Khaki was clearly not a good choice of clothing for the day. Check out those knee caps. My Shout stain stick got a work out afterwards. Who'd have known a trip to the temple could result in getting so dirty?
As we drove home, I reflected upon the gratitude I felt in my heart for these temples that now dot the earth and the chance I had to take Tyler there this day. It dawned on me that he is growing up much differently than I did. The temple was a very "real" and "tangible" thing for me since a temple was often seen on different drives we would take and such. But for Tyler, we talk about the temple, but since it's not in our town, it's not like we just see the temple as we're out driving around or running errands. Now that we have lived outside of Idaho and Utah, I am so grateful that there are temple within a very reasonable drive for us to go to.
And it seemed almost unreal to learn of President Hinckley's death just one day later. It obviously had to happen sometime, but it seemed he would be around forever. He was the prophet for very nearly 13 years, which is roughly half of my life. He was such a strength through some very influential times in my life. My teen years, finding my spouse, my early married years, my early motherhood years, and two very big moves to states I hardly knew anything about. He had a way of always saying the right thing, getting right to the point, and instilling in me the desire to be a better person. I just loved hearing him speak! He had such a memorable character. I am grateful for the work the Lord allowed to be done under his direction, especially for the building of all of these wonderful temples. With 124 now operating, and so many outside of the West now, it has been such a great blessing to me. I will miss him dearly, but I am so excited to think of him being with his sweet wife again.

11 comments:

cshel said...

You take some great pictures Becky. I love the one of Tyler smiling by the gate. Glad you were able to spend some time on the temple grounds. Sometimes just feeling the peace that is even on the outside of the sacred building boosts our spirits, doesn't it? I love the temple-keeps things in perspective for me.

Anonymous said...

AWSOME pictures. Just the blog in general---made me cry. I am glad you guys went along. We will miss President Hinkley so much but I am so happy for him too. I wish the new temple in Rexburg would have stayed open a couple of more weeks so you guys could have taken the tour. It is beautiful and we were just talking on saturday night after we went through about President Hinkley wondering if he would be to the dedication etc. I am so glad little Tyler could see that temple and have his picture taken there. We cant wait to see you but be prepared to FREEZE. Love grandmat

Kyle and Tiffany said...

I love the pictures, Becky! I also enjoyed what you said about President Hinckley...what a great man.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, Becky. Especially the 1st one with angel Moroni through the ring on the fence. You need to frami it. I'm so glad you got to go with your boys. We've been watching a lot of documentaries about Pres. Hinckley on BYUTV and it makes me miss him so much more. Bye, Mom A

Hillary said...

You never cease to amaze me. I love all of the pictures. You are so good and such a good mommy to think of the importance of taking Tyler. I can't wait to see you all! Love you lots.

{Erica} said...

that first picture rocks my world!

i love what you said about president hinckley...very touching.

{Erica} said...

Becky, I haven't had the pleasure of eating it straight from cafe dumonde...soo jealous...but we love the mix and it's a staple in our house! mmmmmm! have fun in idaho!

The Nielsen Family said...

That first picture is so amazing and who would have thought that those pictures taken a day before the death of our prophet would end up being such a great tribute to him? How far away is the BT temple from you guys?

THE BEAN FAMILY : aaron,candace,ashlyn,alysse, and macey said...

Ok so maybe it is because i am massively emotional anways!!! But i totally started to cry as i read about your feeling of gratitude for temples and pres.hinckley. Thanks for the morning cry...it will save me some time laster in the day. And secondly, i love the mad face picture of tyler. he is soooo cute. It makes me really want a boy... i am sure you are going to hear..or read me saying that alot.

Elicia said...

Thanks for the post and the pictures! I'm not so great at blogging yet, but you can sure check mine out and keep in touch. Your kids are darling! I love the picture with the stick and his tongue poking out. How nice that your family could enjoy that day together (in a manner of speaking) and what great memories it made!

Ashley said...

Tyler is getting so big, he is so adorable. You take amazing pictures, what kind of camera do you use??? I enjoyed your thoughts on the temple and President Hinckley, it is different living where there aren't as many temples.