Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Summer Baseball

So, on top of the craziness of moving this summer, and a road trip to Idaho, we also signed the boys up for baseball. Yeah, we may have lost a small bit of our insanity during it all, but the boys really had a great time. We signed them up at the playground closest to our house and the first week or two went wonderfully, until games started. When they were just practicing in the first two weeks, they practiced at the same time and the same place each time. But then once games started, they were at different fields at different times, but usually on the same night. So, of course that meant we were splitting up and we had to do some serious coordinating to make it work. As it turned out, for whatever reason, Garrett often went with Tyler and I often went with Sam, which meant that I got very few pictures of Tyler. And let me tell ya, he looked so stinkin' studly in that uniform. I loved it! I wish I could have seen more games. The 6 year old league played a machine pitch, which was every normal rule of baseball with a pitching machine instead of a person pitching. It gave them good practice, but it did make for quick innings since many of the boys weren't very good at hitting yet, so there were a lot of strike outs. But Tyler really enjoyed playing, which was all that counts!
One of the few times I was able to watch Tyler play, he was batting and the whole summer I kept thinking, 'this season will be a success if he can come away with even just one hit'. He fouled off a lot of balls, and then usually struck out. That was the case for a lot of the kids. And then the beautiful moment came when he was up there, swung perfectly, connected, and hit a beautiful double right up the middle. I was so proud of him! I was also relieved knowing that he'd gotten a hit and didn't have to say that he'd struck out every at bat and I also knew how proud he would be of himself too! Of course that night there were calls to grandparents to tell them all about it. He was so proud!

And this summer was Sam's first year playing. You are actually supposed to be 4 to play and his 4th birthday wasn't until September, but they let him play since he was so close to the cut off. He was so cute out there, I loved watching him! He seems to really enjoy sports so he was really excited to play. We had to buy him a little right hand mitt since he throws left handed. I was almost surprised we could find one that small! His uniform was the smallest they had and I'm pretty sure it will fit him for 5 more years!!


And there is no question whatsoever that Sam throws left handed, so we assumed that he would bat left handed as well, but he was MUCH better batting right handed. So, I guess he'll switch it up?!

Love that proud little face!

No comments: