Back in November, Tyler came home from Primary with 3 yellow circles with smiley faces drawn on them. I didn't think much of it and he didn't say much about what they were. Fast forward a day to Monday. Monday morning, to be exact.
Now, you have to understand that I have never been a morning person, although I do feel like I have gotten somewhat better as I've gotten older. But I think I'll always be overcoming it to some degree and mornings are just a rush, rush, rush at our house.
With Tyler in school now, it's definitely more important to get going and not waste any time, so this particular Monday morning was no exception. I usually do just the minimum things we have to do before I take Tyler to school and come home and finish up the rest. So, Tyler's teeth were brushed, bags were packed, shoes were on, we were set to head out the door. I told Tyler to go get his jacket while I brushed my teeth. After brushing my teeth, I rushed out of my bathroom, right past my bed and Tyler was standing by the couch just smiling.
"Did you notice, Mom?" he said.
I am thinking, 'what?! We have got to get going? What are you doing instead of getting your jacket? (you know, those kinds of thoughts!)' and I asked what he was talking about.
He said "look at your bed. I made it for you. I just wanted to do something nice for you." I thought he might possibly burst from excitement.
And my heart melted, and I could feel the sting of tears behind my eyes. I felt bad for rushing through this morning (like I often do through life) so much that I completely missed my sweet boy doing something to make his mama smile, and I was overcome with a little more love for my firstborn. He is always thinking of others, always...and I fear that I don't recognize this enough sometimes. As you can see from the picture above, though, it was a little easy to 'miss' the fact that my bed was made--he was only 5 after all! :)
And sure enough, there on the bed was a yellow smiley face, placed where a good deed had been done. And a good deed it was. My rush, rush, rush through the morning slowed down just a little and I knelt down to give my boy a big hug and the atmosphere in our house changed that day by a very simple little act by a very sweet little 5 year old (but almost 6!) little boy. Wow, the power these little ones possess!
It's things like this that I don't want to forget and I'm always so afraid that I'm going to. I have to remember to slow down sometimes and it's not an easy thing for me to do sometimes. It's things like this that also make it easy to look past things like this picture above...a lamp with no shade, due to the shade being broken into a thousand pieces (it was glass) due to said boy who made my bed! {sigh} Lovely, isn't it?!





6 comments:
I love that boy:) He is such a sweet kid!
Hallie did the same thing one morning while I was in the shower. She not only made our bed, but hers and Dewey's as well. Definitely things that we need to remember!
That made ME get tears in my eyes...my biggest fear is that I'll rush/clean away my children's early years. I'd rather let the laundry pile up and play with them while they're small.
so sweet. they do grow up way to fast don't they... sigh.
So sweet! I hate rushing past things, but I love having kids to remind me and bring me back to what matters.
Ahhh, so sweet. I love the short stop and think moments our kids give us!
Post a Comment