Thursday, November 13, 2008

Swamp Fest

Well, before I recap the visit from Hillary and Cash, I've got to get my Swamp Fest post up... Yes, when you live in Louisiana, I suppose you must celebrate the fact that you live in a swamp! We have gone to Swamp Fest for three years running now, and we absolutely love it.

So we recovered from our trick or treat candy hangover and headed to the zoo the following morning (Nov. 1) for Swamp Fest. It was a great way to start November. And here are some pictures and a recap of what we did while celebrating our life in the Swamp, lol. :)

Important business first...Tyler had to hit the Home Depot Kids Workshop and build a toolbox with Garrett.
While Sam intently watched. :)
Garrett was being brave here, eh?

Finished product! I must say I absolutely love that Home Depot does these kids workshops. They are so fun!
Next, we hit the food, of course. Because truthfully that is probably the main reason we go! Nowhere else can we get such a great sampling of good old Cajun cuisine all in one place. There are several food booths all offering something different, so we all have to try bites of each other's food. :) Mmmm, yum! The spinach & crawfish bread bowl and the crabcake with remoulade sauce were, hands down, my favorite of the day! (this pic is only ONE of the many booths with yummy food)
The boys played while we ate and listened to lots of live zydeco music.

And we watched other people dance, since we aren't dancers! :)
And then we all tried some sweet potato pie. It was a big hit!

And then Tyler couldn't hold back any longer and started dancing too. Now don't be jealous of his sweet moves or anything. I taught him those.

While T danced his day away, Sam continued playing in the dirt, all the while having sweet potato pie all over his face. Dirt + sweet potato pie = yum!
After we had our tummies sufficiently filled, we hit the swamp exhibit, since it was Swamp Fest after all. Tyler got to hold a turtle.
And we got to say hi to this big huge snapping turtle. No, they didn't let us touch it, not that I wanted to anyways.
And Tyler pet an alligator.
And Sam (yes, my little Sam!) touched a big ugly snake.

So, after some great food, good music, and encounters with some creepy reptiles, we left with two tired, but happy boys with full tummies and some great memories. We love Swamp Fest!

8 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

Wish we could go to swampfest!

And can I just say your photography skills are so so impressive! Every picture you take is awesome! I wish you lived here so I could use your talent and get some great pics of my kids and fam!

As for getting in contact, for some reason your email address isn't coming up in my contact list. So email me at laurabernard7@gmail.com and I'll email Aaron's info. He'd love to talk to Garret. Last time I showed him some pictures from your blog he said, "We should go visit them." While fun, I'm not sure how realistic it is. We seem to avoid traveling lately. Wonder why . . .

cshel said...

Sounds like a blast! Tyler did a great job on his tool box. I'm not sure about touching those critters though. :-)

cshel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hillary said...

I'm just kind of sad that every time I look at this post I have to see that horrific snake! I practically had to close my eyes to get to the comment part to write this. Oh well, looks like such a good time! Love ya!

Ashley said...

You live in such a cool place, I love the pictures, especially the big turtle. I am also glad that your sister in law could come and visit. I am jealous, we hardly ever get visitors. That is fun. Your boys are really growing up.

The Nielsen Family said...

Our petting zoo consists of sheep, pigs, goats... Your petting zoo ioconsists of snakes, turtles, and other creepy reptiles. nice.

I love the whole Home Depot thing. I can totally imagine Garrett taking his boy to do manly things. Love it.

Nicole said...

you've been tagged! www.nicoleandmarty.blogspot.com

Angela said...

I heard about the kid's projects at Lowe's and Home Depot and I so want to take the kids sometime it looks almost as fun as that snake did.