or something like that!
Doesn't Sam look surprisingly calm in these pictures?
Well, three weeks into this, I think we can safely say that Tyler does indeed love Sam. He has to know where he is at all times and always asks me "where's Baby Sam"? He constantly wants to hold him, touch him, talk to him, rub his head (or "pet him" as Tyler says, but I'm trying to teach him that Sam is not a dog and we don't pet him), and pretty much be in his face at all waking (and even non-waking) moments of Sam's day. He is so quick and happy to help whenever I need him to. He has fetched a diaper for me on more than one occasion and even thrown dirty ones in the garbage for me. He loves to be the helper and is very proud of himself for doing things for Sam. I'm glad that he can do something to feel a part of it all. He has not shown one bit of jealousy (yet, anyways) and is honestly so proud and happy to have Sam here. Here are a few fun things Tyler has said in the past few weeks that I always want to remember:
- I got Sam dressed one morning and Tyler took one look at him and said "lookin' good, Baby Sam. Lookin' good!" And he continued to tell him that throughout the day.
- When Tyler was holding Sam one time, he looked at me and said "Mommy, me and Baby Sam are a great family." I think I have to agree with that.
- I love when he walks into my room in the morning (me still snoozing away, of course) and he says hi to me and then immediately asks where Sam is and I say he is sleeping in his little bed (the Pack 'n Play in our room) and he goes right over and looks at Sam and says "Baby Sam cuuuuute."
- When we were eating lunch Tyler turned to me and said "Mommy, I have an idea. After I eat all lunch, I go sit on couch and hold Baby Sam one minute. That be good?" Great idea, Tyler.
- He said "Mom, I please hold Baby Sam on your bed again and be great, great family? Please?"
- And I love the way he looks at Sam when he wakes up (at any time of the day) and says "Baby Sam awake!! Goooooood moooooorning, Baby Sam!" He loves it when Sam has his eyes open and always tells me "Mom, look, TWO eyes open!" (because when Sam was first born and super sleepy, he was often found just peeping one eye open, so seeing two little peepers is an exciting moment!)
- "Mom, Baby Sam borrowed MY puppy! Yay!" And I go find poor Baby Sam with Tyler's puppy sitting smack dab in the middle of his face. OK, can we say suffocation danger here??
- And you'll often find Tyler saying "Baby Sam cuuuuuute. Baby Sam tiny. Baby Sam yittle (little)."
- And I'm sure the list could go on...
OK, and of course, I absolutely love that Tyler loves Sam and am so glad he's not jealous of him or acting out because of him, but I must say that all of this "LOVE" is what exhausts me day in and day out! I know it's all done with great intentions, so it's hard to know exactly how to handle it. And of course, some days, it's just hard to be patient! I get so worn out saying things like: "Tyler, be soft. Tyler, we don't poke Sam's ______(fill in the blank, i.e. eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc.). Tyler, we have to be soft when we touch Baby Sam's head. Tyler, please just let Sam swing in his swing by himself, you don't need to push it for him (for fear that Sam will go flying to the ceiling). Tyler, Sam is sleeping, let's just let him sleep and leave him alone for a little while. Tyler, don't lay on top of Sam, please. Tyler, you can't pick up Sam and walk across the room all by yourself." And again, this list could go on. I'm sure the newness will wear off over time and he'll calm down with it all a little bit and of course Sam will also grow and become more 'sturdy', but it'll be amazing if Sam survives his infant-ness without a head injury or suffering from suffocation from the love of a proud older brother!





10 comments:
I can see your frustration but this is SO CUTE!!! Tyler is adorable and so is baby Sam! You are a GREAT family! :) I love and miss you guys!
~Ang~
Oh how cute---to us that is. I am sure it is exhausting to you guys but we think it is just so cute. I love all those cute little things that Tyler says to him and about him. Thanks for sharing all those fun comments and things that have been going on in the Thalgott household now that Baby Sam has arrived. We cant wait to meet him and hold him and kiss him and love him and do all that with Tyler too. We cant wait. Take care. love s
Becky! I know exactly how you feel! Most of my energy goes to being the referre...making sure Katelyn doesn't clobber Cameron! Can you love someone TOO much! I'd like to tell you the toddler gets the hang of it but 7 weeks later we are still 'teaching' Katelyn. Cameron even has a special grunt he makes when Katelyn is too close (which is most the time)!
I know the feeling, and I hate to say it but, Meysa is still all up in Lauryn's business and Lauryn is almost 17 months old. There are days where I am still say, "Meysa, leave Lauryn alone, she doesn't want you to touch her!!" and more than once I might add. We should be grateful for the little things, right, like the fact that Tyler doesn't want to sell Sam to the mailman!!
So dang cute! I love your stories! Tyler reminds me of exactly how Madeleine is with Elisabeth. Never jealous except for once when she was sick. Madeleine said and I quote, "Go take her back to Costco." No joke. But then Madie went down for a nap and has never acted like that since. I better pull my sleeves up and get ready for when the girls are older though, huh? Argh! I am nervous!
Awh! That is so precious! They look adoable together in the pictures! Let's hope the brotherly love lasts a while :)
Love it - love your blog. Love that Tyler LOVES Sam so much. So cute- thanks for sharing!
I love this post!! I can not believe how well Tyler is adjusting. Also, Sam is looking so different, no longer the just came out of the birth canal beat up look for him. He's a handsome little bugger. Also, I don't think I've told you, but Carter's favorite stuffed animal is the exact puppy that Tyler has. It is so stinkin adorable.
Tyler is the cutest kid ever! What a sweet brother. I can see how it would be exhausting to have to keep reminding him. It will be fun to see how Evan acts with his future baby sister/brother. Miss you guys!
Karin
I love all the little stories. Tyler is a sweetheart! I was looking at your blog and Jackson came up and pointed at the pictures and said, "Tyler and Marcus!" Um, you're half way there, Jackson. I want to call you sometime when life calms down a bit, but right now, I don't know if that will ever happen.
J/K :)
Post a Comment