Friday, October 10, 2008

What a week...

I'm not even sure where to begin this post... For starters, Tyler has been sick this week. Actually has been sick for about two weeks, only to worsen quite a bit this week. He has complained of very severe abdominal pain and by this week, it also was accompanied by vomiting. But it comes and goes very intermittently, but the pain has been more and more severe each time. So by Monday of this week I knew it was time to take him to the doctor. So, in a nutshell, our week since then has then included the following:
several trips to the doctor's office
one urinalysis
five blood tests
one abdominal x-ray
one ultrasound
one stool sample (yeah, I could go forever without collecting THAT again)
sleepless nights for all of us
more vomit
more pain
dropping everything at a moment's notice to drive to the doctor's office, a lab, or a radiology clinic
losing 3 pounds in 4 days (unfortunately, this was not me who experienced this)
lots of prayers
priesthood blessings
and I'm probably leaving something out...

And after this week, not much has changed. We know a few things, but still don't know a lot of things. Blood test results have ruled out cancer, diabetes, many kidney problems, but they have also not given us concrete evidence of what it is. We sure have collected nearly a zillion stickers like these:
So we're going with clear liquids and the BRAT diet for the weekend, while we await some more test results. We don't know very much at this point and it's pretty frustrating truthfully. It could end up being something very minor--we just don't know what IT is... We just know that he's very sick but we don't know why. I, on the other hand, have a headache the size of Texas and am about to fall asleep typing this, and I'm pretty sure I do know why. And I also know one other thing...that I love this kid to pieces! And I'd do just about anything to make it better...

(what would we do without this puppy? This puppy was even held during his x-rays yesterday!)

Oh yeah, just in case you were wondering, his leg chins are checking out just fine through all of this. :)

25 comments:

Amber Wray said...

Oh Becky- man I feel for him. To bad we don't live closer we could be budies me and him. It sounds like the last 2 years of my life. Poor kid and poor you, no one should have to watch their child go through that. Keep praying, I know Heavenly Father is listening. He is there and I am sure He has some pretty awesome angels up there watching over your little angel. You will be in my prayers. Stay tough!!! I love ya!

Heitmann Family said...

sorry he is feeling so awful. I hope you are able to find out soon what is going on with the little guy. Be sure to keep us posted!! Get some rest, if you can!!

Hillary said...

He is so brave. Every time we talk I feel like crying. I just wish they could figure it out, and quick! You are always in my prayers and you know I will be calling. Love you all!

Amy said...

I am so sorry Becky. There is nothing worse than a sick kiddo especially when you feel helpless to make it better. I hate lots of tests and doctors---Best Wishes

Amy said...

Sorry to hear about Tyler. I hope that you guys find out what's causing all his pain soon. We'll keep your little family in our prayers, and I hope you get the rest you need and can take care of that headache.

Melissa said...

I am so sorry. I am sure that he is going to be just fine but nothing is worse than worrying about one of your babies. Hopefully they will find out quickly what is wrong so you know how to help him. We will be praying for him.

cshel said...

Becky - i'm so sorry to hear about Tyler. I hope you have answers soon and that he is back to his fun, happy, healthy, green-lovin' self soon!! We will keep him in our prayers.

Angela said...

We'll be thinking of you. What a sad mystery? Don't lose hope that things will be okay. I know your family will be taken care of!

Henricksen Family said...

becky we love you guys I hope it's nothing serious and that the doctors find out what it is very soon. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys. Love you Tyler hang in there bud.

aidanjordan said...

Awww, our poor little Tyler! I hope he is well soon! We will keep him in our prayers, and I will ask my mom and dad to ut his name in the temple next time they work.

Tamara said...

This just came out of no where? I'm so sad for Tyler. It sounds like you are doing everything right. They've got to figure things out eventually, right? You've got to be exhausted too. I hope the mystery is solved soon. Keep us posted on things.

Kristy said...

Oh baby. I'm so sorry Becky. We've only been in a position similar to that one time with Tessas Kawazakis Disease and it isn't something I'd ever relish going through again. Thank heaven for those priesthood blessings that keep you grounded, even if things don't make sense.

Hang in there. I'm praying for you and the little man.

Keep us posted!

Ashley said...

I am so sorry to hear that. It is so hard with sick kids. Alli has been sick with just a basic cough and cold and I am about going crazy as I just brought her home from church while she was mad. I am sorry to hear about Tyler and I hope that you will be able to figure it all out. He is such a sweet kid. I will be thinking of you.

Shannon said...

Becky, I am so sorry to hear that Tyler has been so sick! It is always scary and frustrating when you don't know exactly what is wrong with one of your little ones. It makes you feel pretty helpless. Know that you're in our prayers and we hope that he'll either quickly recover or the doctors will be able to diagnose and begin treating whatever it is.

Jo Ann Anderson said...

Poor little Tyler! Poor you too! I sure hope the Dr can get to the bottom of the problem. Until then, I will keep you in my prayers! Get better quick Tyler!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Tyler. We have been so worried all week and are glad all the scarey tests come back negative but hope they can figure out the cause soon and things can be treated easily and quickly so he is back to his little self soon---and you can get some sleep too. Wish we were there to help in some way but we are sure praying for you guys along with my family. We will be in touch to hear the latest test results. Praying for the best. Take care. We love you guys so much. And that was so nice of little Tyler to tell me I could borrow his sun since it has been snowing here in Idaho. But I understand you told him that if I borrowed his sun---he would never get it back. That is so sad but so true!!! But what a cute little offer from him. It was so sweet. Grandma t

The Nielsen Family said...

So I cried reading this - a combination for him for feeling so sick, for you for the stress that comes with a sick child, and for fear of wondering what is causing all of this - your family is absolutely in our prayers and we hope that whatever is going on will pronounce itself soon!!

Anonymous said...

We fasted for Tyler today and feel like things will be alright for him, I just hope we can all be patient until that time comes. I feel so sad for him and wish I could remove his pain and give you both some sleep. We're praying for you all day, every day. We know the Lord works miracles and you guys are deserving of one. We love you all, and miss you so much. I wish I could get some of your sun also. Love, MomA

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Poor Tyler! I hope they find out what's causing all of this soon, and hopefully it's nothing big. He's such a cute kid. We'll keep him in our prayers.

Tara said...

I hope Tyler gets feeling better soon and they can find out what's wrong with him. We'll pray for him.

Whitney & Charlie said...

Get feeling better Tyler, we love you and we want you to come back to Idaho to visit us soon! We miss you guys and you're in our prayers. Maybe Tyler is snow sick..if he is we've got plenty of it to make him better!

Scott, Aimee, & Emily said...

Oh Becky- I am so sorry that your family (especially Tyler) is going through a lot right now. I sure hope they discover what it is soon! We are thinking about you guys and keep us updated!!
-Aimee

Challis said...

Oh wow...I hope he feels better soon. It's always so hard when the little guys are the ones who have to suffer. I'm sure things will be fine, but until then keep us posted! I'll be thinking of you...

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

We got our internet back up today & I just read your post on Tyler, and my heart just sunk. I'm so sorry - for both him & you. I hope that you're getting some answers by now, and that he's starting to feel better. You're in my prayers, Becky.

Anonymous said...

Hey Becky! It's Sarah Thompson. I just got done reading about your little man. I feel so bad. Have the doctors said anything about a virus called the "rotavirus." The only reason I ask is because my little Mitch had this last December and he was so sick for over a month. He could not keep anything down. Not to mention the other issues down below. He would cry in pain saying his stomach hurt really bad. We ended up taking him to the hospital for an IV and x-ray to rule out anything serious. This sickness your little guy has may have no relation, but I thought I would mention it because it sounded very similar. I hope he gets well soon. I have really enjoyed following your blog. Your family is adorable.