Friday, October 17, 2008

Dear Mr. Sandman

Dear Mr. Sandman,

I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this, but it's due time I filed a formal complaint. I have a real bone to pick with you. Let me explain. First, I have been writing you and asking you to make your return to our house for two weeks now so Tyler could start getting some sleep again. You see, when the children get sleep, I get sleep (usually). Being up for hours on end during the night--night after night--can leave a mom with no alternatives but using toothpicks to prop her eyelids open during the day. We were definitely at that point yesterday. I put my little one to bed last night and felt hopeful that it was going to be the night that you were going to return and offer he and I both some reprieve. And he drifted off into a beautiful slumber and I did the same. Wonderful! BUT, what I don't understand is why I (the very sleep deprived mother in this story) had to wake up a mere hour later to fight my own stomach bug for the REST OF THE NIGHT. The sleep I so anxiously awaited was nowhere to be found as I spent more time tossing my cookies than I spent in my bed, getting an unfriendly reminder of every last thing I ate the 24 hours prior to that. Tyler didn't wake up for six hours, the longest stretch he's slept in nearly two weeks. I, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

So really, Mr. Sandman, what's the deal? Do you have something against me? Did I do something wrong? Were the countless hours I spent during the night taking care of my young child not enough? If you are mad at me, I am just hoping we can patch things up so you will consider popping by tonight. I must confess--I'm wondering if you even exist. I am losing a little faith in you and you're the only one that can fix that. Please consider this my formal complaint. I'd love to hear back from you. The bags under my eyes are a sight to be seen.

Signed Yours Truly,
Losing Faith & Using Toothpicks in the Big Easy

8 comments:

Cook Family said...

I'm so sorry Becki! I hope you feel better and get some sleep tonight!

Anonymous said...

What? No photos of sleep deprived, sick Rebecca? I am so sorry Becky. I hope it is just a 24 hour thing and that you are feeling better. When Hillary told me I thought, oh great, now Becky has to go through all of this too. Hopefully not. I think your family has had its share. Hopefully you guys can get out and maybe go to the zoo or something fun. There has to be a "fest" of some sort this weekend!!! Feel better soon. Did the boys receive the "get well" and halloween combo package I sent? Tell Tyler to be looking for the "ps man from Idaho" to drop off a fun package from grandma and grandpa t. love you guys.

The Nielsen Family said...

Oh Becky, I can't even imagine what you have gone through and what you are going through. The emotional, physical, and mental stress are at times I am sure unbearable. I hope oh so much that sleep will come and that you are not going to be out with this virus for the next two weeks. I wish so much I could be down there right now to take care of you and your beatiful kids. Hang in there!!

aidanjordan said...

That really stinks. I hope you feel better soon and are able to get some rest!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Oh, Becky. I'm so sorry. And if that stubborn Sandman doesn't appear tonight, you better put an emergency call in to those Serta sheep or SOMETHING. May all of you be well & slumber soundly soon! (say that one 5 times fast)

cshel said...

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry. That is the pits when you just need a good night's sleep and it doesn't come. I hope you are feeling better today and that tonight is a better one!! Miss you!

kdance said...

Oh, man! I was hoping for a happy post :( I'm sorry, Becky! What a bummer for you. And poor little T! I can't believe what he's been through the past couple weeks. Poor little dude! Well, we'll definitely be remembering you guys in our prayers. Hang in there, girl!

Campbell Family said...

Ohh, Becky. That is so sad, I want to cry for you. Us moms know about sleep deprivation and it can make you go crazy! I hope that you can all get feeling better and get your much, much, needed sleep!