Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mesenteric Adenitis

Oh, you've never heard of Mesenteric Adenitis? Well, that makes two of us (up until earlier this week anyways). So, here we are on day 17 of this less-than-delightful experience and we *think* we have a diagnosis. Yeah, I know, I sound convincing, don't I? But let me explain...the ultrasound on Friday resulted in finding some enlarged abdominal lymph nodes, after which our doctor had a consult with a Pediatric GI doctor at Children's Hospital who told her it could very likely be Mesenteric Adenitis. So that meant we had to run three more blood tests on Monday (yes, that would be a total of EIGHT, if you're keeping track). So with the results of the blood tests, it knocked out a few different things (as they all came back normal), therefore resulting in a diagnosis for this. So...what is it exactly? Well, it seems a little strange that 8 blood tests, 2 urine samples, 1 x-ray, 1 stool sample, and 1 ultrasound would be required to find out that he has a VIRUS, but yes it's true. But it is a virus that causes the abdominal lymph nodes to become swollen and can cause patients serious abdominal pain. An interesting fact--it is very commonly misdiagnosed as appendictis and it probably would have, other than Tyler's pain would come and go in spells. If it had been constant, it's very likely it would have been considered to be appendicitis, so I guess we will be glad at least that they didn't take out the appendix to find out that wasn't the problem. So, there you have it...

And I say we *think* we have a diagnosis because we still aren't totally out of the woods with this yet. Basically it leans in the direction of M.A. because his symptoms have lessened in severity over the last five days and it seems he is improving at least a little every day, which makes it appear that the virus hit its worst point at the end of last week and is now finishing running its course. He still gets between 2-3 episodes of pain in a 24 hour period, but they do seem to be less intense and he hasn't thrown up since the end of last week. He is regaining some of the weight he lost and has a lot better coloring to him. So those are positive signs, obviously. So now we will monitor over the next 5 days and if he makes small improvements and does not revert backwards, we will plan on re-running some labs in a month to make sure that one of them has dropped and also re-do the ultrasound to make sure the lymph nodes have shrunk down to normal size. So, we are not totally out of the woods, but it's starting to feel like we may be headed in the right direction. I hope. Really, it has been exhausting and I'm ready to be done with this chapter and close the book! I honestly felt I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown yesterday when we still had nothing and it had gone on for so long. It was very frustrating! And the day I can wake up not having been up with him at some point during the night, I'll definitely feel like we're making progress!! We'll feel especially great if things look good on all the re-checks in a month.
But I cannot say THANK YOU enough to all of you for thinking of us and praying for us and checking in on us, etc. It has been a scary week and we could feel your prayers and support so much. And we'll just keep praying he'll get completely over this so we can move on to more fun and exciting things...like Halloween! It looks like he's decided to be a skeleton (much to my relief--I wasn't about to figure out how to pull off a boat or a garfish costume), which is fitting since he's lost all the weight, he'll pull it off quite nicely! Thanks again to all of you for thinking of us! We're looking forward to seeing a little more of this happy face...

14 comments:

Lorraine said...

I am so glad that things are looking up. I have been so worried about him. I will continue to pray for you all. Speaking of appendixes... I just got mine take out Tuesday. I went in for a laparoscopy and came out without an appendix. I will post about it on my blog soon with all of the gorry pictures and all. Have a good night though and sleep well!

Heitmann Family said...

I am glad to hear that he is doing better, and that you have some kind of diagnosis!! Yeah-well I hope he continues to improve and he will make the cutest skeleton by the way!!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

I am so glad that Tyler is starting to improve & that it seems to be something you'll be able to put completely behind you (not an ongoing health issue). I hope things get back to "normal" for all of you quickly and that you are able to have a very happy Halloween. Remember to take care of yourself too...

marlene said...

i'm sorry, becky---all of you. We're glad he's feeling a bit better---sounds like it's been pure trauma for all you. We'll remember all of you. And, i'll email that recipe soon--i haven't forgotten.

cshel said...

I love the happy face picture....what a sweet little boy. I'm so sorry that he (and you!!) have had to go through all of this. I am glad things are starting to get better and we pray that it will continue that direction!! Miss you Becky!!

Sarah C said...

Good luck. I am so sorry Tyler had to go through all of that. I hope he gets better really soon.

The Heck Family said...

Oh my goodness Becky...I didn't think it had been that long since I had been on ur blog, but I guess it had. So glad that this chapter is hopefully nearing the end. I can't imagine the stress! We will be praying for a good response from Tyler's little body over the coming days.

Judy said...

Becky, I'm so glad he's better! Just feeling like you know something or have a name for it makes a difference doesn't it? It's that NOT KNOWING thats just so scary. Sounds like you'd be grateful right now for just some boring, hum-drum, predictable days where nothing too exciting happens. You've had enough exitement recently!

Angie said...

I am so glad that things are looking up for you and that tough li'l guy! I hope he gets completely better soon, for the sake of all of you! Love ya!

Kristy said...

Wow, Becky sounds like you have had a rough week and poor little Tyler has been through it. I'm so sorry, but glad to hear it is looking better. The only thing worse than being sick yourself is having a sick kid.

Shuldberg Family said...

Oh, I hope Tyler continues to get better. There's is nothing more frustrating than not knowing.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad they figured out what was wrong with little "T" and I am glad it is nothing else. I am glad he is gradually feeling better. All of our prayers were answered. love grandma t

{Erica} said...

i'm glad that they at least know (possibly) what is going on....i'm sure that's a comfort. I just hope he gets to feeling better ASAP!

Campbell Family said...

ahhh, I'm so glad they've "probably" figured it out. I've been thinking of your family and worrying about it. What a nightmare for a family and so I'm so glad that it is nothing serious. What a cutie he is!