Thursday, September 4, 2008

Powerless

Yep, this is another non-fun, no picture post. We are still not home. We spent a few days in Mississippi cramped and bored and tired in a hotel room, then we found out that residents were going to be allowed back in the parish. So we got excited thinking we'd be heading home yesterday. But then we called to check on the status of things and it looks like our neck of the woods will be without power for a few more days and we were also told that the sewer pumps are still without power in the city, therefore the sewers are starting to back up. Mmmmm, just what I want to go home to. So, we rolled a dice yesterday to see which friends we would call and see if we could take them up on their offers to host us for a few days. And Emron and Marlene were the lucky folks that get to put up with some tired evacuees for a couple more days. So we headed to Atlanta yesterday and are here just waiting to go home.

This has been a strange deal for me because I have definitely been gone for longer stretches of time before, but I don't think I have ever wanted to go home so badly in my life. My kids are ready, I am ready, Garrett is ready. I want to be sleeping in my own bed and in my own place so bad I could cry, but do I want it so badly that I'd go home to no power or sewer services? Mmmm, nope. So we are just grateful to have friends who were willing to take us in for a while. And thanks again to all that offered. It was nice to know we had so many places we could go! Well, that's all for now. Hopefully my next post will be posted from my own computer at my own house and will be much happier! Thanks to everyone for thinking of us.

17 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh Becky, I'm so sorry. I've been thinking so much about you guys. I wish that there were something I could do to help!

Hang in there. I think you are a wise mommy for not wanting to go home to stinky smells!

Here's hoping you can go home soon!

Laura Bernard said...

I've been thinking of you lots and are so glad you've kept us all updated. So sorry that you're still refugees! But here's to good friends!

Anonymous said...

I talked to Jim late last night and he said you guys were probably there by then so I decided no news was good news. I am glad you made it there safe and sound. Hillary and I were just commenting last night how good it is that you have such good friends. At least you can be with friends now. Tell them "Hi" for me. Have a good day. Wish you were refugees here. We finished the basement just for you guys!! I hope there isnt a next time but I guess we may know but with mother nature how do you know. And---I guess Hannah is supposed to hit this weekend the east coast---where Jim is. Lovely!!! I wonder if he will be going out on the ship next week??? Should be interesting. Take care. You are in our prayers always. love momt

Hillary said...

Any word yet on when you will heading home? You have no idea how bad I feel for you guys! Thank goodness for friends, eh?!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

I like the pun in your title of this post. Clever. Well, I sure hope this "adventure" ends soon for all of you & that you go home to find things well there. Thanks for the update!

Sarah C said...

I am so sorry things are so hard right now. You are handling it a lot better than I would. Our prayers are with you. Good luck.

aidanjordan said...

That stinks! Hopefully the workers will be able to restore everything faster than anticipated and you will be able to go home soon. Take care!

kdance said...

Becky! We've been thinking about you guys a lot. Ashley called me on Sunday night to ask if we had your number so she could offer for you to come stay with them in Oklahoma. I gave her the only number I had, which turned out to be your home phone--dang it! I really need to get your cell numbers. Dave and I have been wanting to call and see how you're doing. So, when you're bored, email me your numbers. I'm so sorry you've had to be away from home with so much uncertainty! We'll be praying for you guys and that you'll get back to your home sweet home soon. We sure miss you!

Whitney & Charlie said...

We're glad you guys are safe. We just want to let you know we're always thinking about you. Let us know if you need anything. We love you!

Kayleen said...

No fun! You could come to our house. . . but it's a little out of the way!

mccready's said...

Hey there! Clint wanted me to tell you to keep your receipts for any nights in the hotel you stayed in - the government will reimberse you. (You probably already knew that, but it can't hurt to spread the good news, huh?) Hope to see you soon!

Mer said...

I'm so sorry you're going through all that crud!!!

It was nice seeing you around CX again...I hope when things get more settled we will see you more. :)

cshel said...

I've been thinking about your family all week. I was hoping you were able to get home sooner that you are. I know it's hard to not sleep in your own bed and it throws kids off too. But I'm glad you're safe and still muddling through. Good luck!!!

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Sheesh! What an ordeal. I hope that you will be able to go home soon. That has the be such a weird feeling to not be able to go home. You're in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Becky, I can't imagine going through that! I hope your house and area is okay, definalty let us know when you get home. Good luck with everything, we will be thinking about you!

Judy said...

You're right, a post without pictures is so boring! So be sure to get some good close-ups of that backed-up sewer when you get back & post them. JUST KIDDING, PLEASE DON'T!!! Really, though, glad you're OK and we'll be happy to hear you're back home. Aunt Judy

Jo Ann Anderson said...

I came home hoping to see that you too where at the end of your journey....I'm so sorry to see that you are still away. I did want to let you know that I got your pages. They are adorable as always!!! Take care and I am thinking and praying for you and hope for a quick return to home.