And it's hard to believe how quickly the memory of all that pain subsides once you're holding your little miracle in your arms. Today, the pain of labor is but a faint memory because the memory of the birth simply just includes the feelings of immense love and gratitude for sweet little miracles.
It's hard to believe that just one year ago I was not quite even holding my baby in my arms yet, and now he squirms right out of my arms because he's much more interested in other things. A year ago I could hold him and swaddle him and cuddle him all I wanted. And tonight, one year later, I tried to force a little extra cuddle time before bed, a chance to sing another song, just so I could have one more moment to hold my "baby" before he's not a baby anymore. I wanted the chance to soak it all in and savor that baby smell and try to remember it for the rest of my life.
It's hard to believe how incredibly fast 365 days can go. It blows me away. Really, how is it possible that he's already one? As 'cliche' as it sounds, I truly feel like I had him yesterday. How do you put into words how much you really love your own child? I've come to the conclusion that it is literally impossible for me to do so.
I have loved this year of my life because it has included one year of Sam's life. I'm so grateful to be able to share in his life and watch him grow and see the little boy he is becoming. I have a really hard time seeing my kids grow up, I honestly would keep them little forever if I could. But at the same time, I absolutely love their personalities and seeing them emerge a little more every day.
A year ago, I quite positively swooned over my sweet baby boy and not much has changed today. I cannot look at him, observing all those little expressions, without smiling myself. He is an absolute joy in my life!
It's hard to believe that it's possible to love them more than you did the day they were born, but somehow it happens and I wouldn't give it up for anything.
Happy Birthday, Sam! I love you to the moon and back a thousand times--no, make that a million.
And now, let me just gain my composure so we can celebrate the big day tomorrow...





15 comments:
Oh Happy Birthday little Sammy. I cant believe he is a year old either and thank heavens for the blog so we can see and hear some of the things he does through your amazing pictures and stories. Thank you Becky for keeping us in touch with our little grandsons when we are so far away. Arent you glad it was last year instead of this year though. Can you imagine your "hurrication" 9 months pregnant. I hate the thoughts. Happy Birthday little Sammy. We love you so much. Grandma and Grandpa T
Oh, Becky, I'm so glad you know now just how much I love you. It's incredible how each child you have just expands that love more and more. I love little Sammy and I will always cherish being there just a few days after his birth to get to do all of the cuddling and rocking too. What a great bonding time that was for me. Both of your boys mean so much to me because I got to be there and I appreciate that you would want me there. I hope the mail is coming to you guys and that he got his gift. If not, it's on it's way. Give him as big a birthday hug as he will let you give him from his Gramma Andersen. I love you guys. Love, MomA
Oh Becky...you have such a way with words. It is amazing how fast time flies. I don't love it. For sure. It seems the older I get the more quickly time passes by.
I so cherish my snuggy times with little JM. They aren't often or for long, but I sure take em' when I can get em'.
I was just looking at the photos that I took of them today out at the Salt Flats and it hurts my heart to see how big my baby has gotten, yet I love, love, love the little person he has become, and wow...my girls...man alive....when did they become such beautiful young women?
Well, let's enjoy it sister. We are lucky, lucky women.
Happy Birthday, Sam! We just celebrated our little Sam's birthday today, and I feel the same way you do! How can it possibly be two years since he was born?!
Its so fun that our little Sams have the same birthday.
Happy birthday li'l Sammy!!!! He's such a cutie and such a sweetheart! It's so easy to see why you love him so much! Love ya and miss ya!
Angie
Awww...I love this post. He was (and still is!) a beautiful baby boy! How blessed you are!!
Happy Birthday Sam...
You're making me cry- stop! I'm having a hard time watching Jackson grow-up way too fast. Sam is such a cute baby!
Trust Becky to put me in tears and beautifully illustrate her love to her adorable son. You are a remarkable mom Becky.
I've been thinking of little Sam all day today. Happy #1 big guy. The Freakin Nielsens can't wait to meet you!!
Wow, that post made me get tears in my eyes because Alli is so close to turning one. He is a special baby and I love the pictures of him. You are such a great mom and so committed to your kids and family. That is great. I hope that you haven't been effected by this other hurricane, we would love to have you guys come and stay if you would ever like to. It would be so fun for us.
First off, I am hoping that Garret has as good of photography skills as you, and that wasn't you that took that first picture. Otherwise, you are really just making all us other moms look bad...taking pictures mere seconds after giving birth!
Second, Happy Birthdat Sam! What a handsome, happy boy you are!
Now, why do ya' gotta go and get me all weepy and stuff? I just want to sneak into my boys rooms and wake them up to hold and smooch them now...then I remember how insanely tired I'll be in a few hours if I wake them up and they don't go back to sleep when I'm done :) I guess that will wait until morning. However, thank you for sharing that sweet post and those precious pictures. What a miracle it all is, and yes - it truly is impossible to describe how much one loves one's own children. I agree! Sometimes I love my boys so much it hurts, but then that always sounds weird...
Happy birthday Sam! I'm glad you guys got through your Hurrication. You have some awesome pictures at the aquarium and of Sam. I'm so impressed.
Happy birthday to mister sam. loved the pictures and this post.
Happy Birthday little Sam! We love you so much and are so thankful that you are in our family!
Happy Birthday Sam!! Time definately goes by way to fast, I have that same thought everytime I look at my kids. Sam is adorable, and you can tell he is a very happy baby. I love that he always has a big smile on his face. Your pictures from the aquarium look so fun.
Post a Comment