Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Because I LOVE Halloween--it's Give-a-way Time!

Well, I do believe I have mentioned on this dear blog before that I love Halloween. For many reasons...it's the kick off to an entire fun holiday season, it's FALL--and that alone is worth loving it because I love Fall, it's totally fun for kids, and the list goes on. Not to mention I am psychotically drawn to black, orange, purple, and green! It's the only time of year you can put those colors together and get away with it. Love it! And, Fall definitely gets me wanting to get crafty, for Halloween and all the upcoming holidays. It's just something about the time of year!

So...some of you remember that we have a little ghost that visits our house starting in October, (click link if you want more info), so I figure I'd play the part of the ghost and send some goodies to one of you. My first give-a-way (yes, there will be another one coming in a few more days...), is a set of ghost blocks that I just finished. I was wanting to do some little festive craft and found these kits on a website and ordered two kits, so this set will go to one of you...
Now, here's the scoop on how you can win this. ANYONE is welcome to enter my drawing. So, whether you know me, know a friend or family member of mine and you read my blog, or whatever the case may be...you are welcome to play along. So, all you lurkers, this is a chance to make yourselves known!! All you have to do is leave me a comment (make sure your name is included in your comment, of course!) answering one of the following three questions:

#1
What was your favorite thing you dressed up as for Halloween when you were a kid?
#2
What has been your favorite thing you have dressed your child(ren) up as for Halloween?
(can you tell I'm still looking for some costume ideas here, folks. See, you're helping me out!)

or #3
If you don't have any good costume memories, indulge me and share with me your favorite post or picture I have posted on my blog.

Of course, there are no wrong answers, so comment away...and remember you only have to answer ONE of the questions. Comments must be made by 10:00 am CST on October 1. A winner will be drawn at random from all the comments on October 1, and then I will mail out your blocks to you (or deliver them to you, if you are local). Thanks for playing, it's going to be fun!

And remember to keep checking back--there's gonna be another one (hint--it's NOT another set of ghost blocks...LOL)!

49 comments:

Rhodenizer Family said...

Oh becky! You are so crafty! I love peeking in on your blog to see what new pictures to have up and what new adventures are happening in your house!
Alright, I have to say that my favorite costumes for my kids...included the whole family. Last year I was able to score some awesome deals and we went as "the incredibles" (Josh was Mr. Incredible, I was the wife-complete with thigh high boot covers! Elise was Violet, Zac was Dash and Thomas was Jack Jack). It was a whole lot of red spandex but SO fun!
Shauna

Anne-Marie said...

That is adorable and I love your passion! My favorite costume ever was in elementary school. Me and one of my very good friends were a twin popsicle, rootbeer flavor, of course! She was a little shorter than me, so when her mom made the costume, her side had a "bite" taken off the top! It was awesome!! The trikiest part was jumping out of their mini-van at the same time :)

aidanjordan said...

This was not my favorite costume ever, but I definitely have never forgotten it!

With a family of 9 kids, you can imagine my mom had to get pretty creative with costumes. So one year, for our Church Halloween party, she put me in a flower printed dress and pinned extra green felt leaves on me. Can you guess what I was? The Garden of Aidan! So for those who didn't know my name or know that it is pronounced "Eden", it made no sense. I was probably 10 or so then, and old enough to be completely mortified! Hahaha!

cshel said...

Hey Becky! How fun. Those are adorable. My favorite costume for my girls won't help you at all for your boys....Raggedy Ann complete with a yarn wig. It was my very first real sewing project. I found darling raggedy ann print fabric for the dress and my mother-in-law walked me through the whole process. Each of my girls have worn it and looked adorable. :-)

Brooke S said...

these are adorable! My favorite costume from the past is the Headless Horseman - complete with Black horse!

My favorite costume of Chandler's is a spider.

Brooke

Melissa said...

So cute!!! Okay, costumes. No idea how Adorable will be dressed this year. Since this is our first Halloween with a child I'm starting to feel stressed. One of my favorite memories is dressing up with friends as the Butcher, the Baker and the Candlestick Maker!

Tara said...

Those blocks are so cute. You did a great job. My favorite costumes for my kids were last years. They are on my blog. Wyatt was Frakenstein and Martin was a Mummy. We borrowed the Frakenstein costume, which wouldn't be to hard to recreate, but made the Mummy. We just buy a white sweatsuit and stocking cap and rip up an old white shirt, pillowcase, or fabric and then I bought some double stick craft tape (Res-Q Tape) at JoAnn's and just stuck the fabric to the clothing. After Halloween was over we just pulled off the fabric strips and have a little pair of sweats that he could wear. Just be careful when you wrap it or it's hard to get it on and off 'cause you don't allow the sweats to stretch.

Amber Wray said...

Look at you super woman! I am jelouse. I often say in the lines in heaven I totally missed out on the talent line!

My favorite Halloween costume I have done so far is last year. kelly's family has a big Halloween party every year. We invited our friends and went as the Flinstones and the Rubbles. Their little boy was bam bam and Addie was Pebbles. It was absolutely the funnest ever! Amber

Lexi said...

LOVE those blocks! You are so crafty!

Well, since Peyton has only dressed up for one Halloween {as a pumpkin}, I guess I'll be talking about one of my Halloween costumes! :-0

My favorite costume was the year I dressed up as Medussa {about 4 years ago!}. I got fake hair that was already braided and pinned it all over my head and then I wound different plastic snakes all through it. After that I sprayed green glitter hairspray all over my head so that it would glimmer, put on some wicked cool green eye makeup and wore a long sleeved green shirt with blue jeans- I know I fizzled out on the bottom part, but it was really cool from the shoulders up!

Sorry, I know that doesn't give you any ideas for Tyler and Sam!
;-)

Heitmann Family said...

wow-love the blocks!! (if I don't win, I want to know the site you got them from)!! I guess as a kid the best costume had to be this gigantic pumpkin my mom made and you seriously had to save up months of newspaper to stuff if with. Literally once you were stuffed you couldn't get out the door. We passed it down each year so I think every kid in my family was a pumpkin once. For my own kids, gee that is hard one. Ayden wants to be a pirate and the girls are princesses. They have been a horse, darth vader, clown, fairy, witch, ect. Sorry that probably doesn't help any for your ideas!! Thanks for the fun giveaway!!!

Angie said...

Well as you may recall-I was pretty much the cutest li'l cow one year...udders and all (as my treat bag!) I can't say it was my "favorite" but now looking back it was stinking funny!! The other one I can think of would have to be when I was a bag of jelly beans (clear garbage bag filled w/balloons and me! lol) That one was a little hard to travel in :) You are so cute! I miss you so much! Love ya! Ang

The Nielsen Family said...

LOVE the ghost blocks!!!

My favorite costume as a "kid" was when my best friend and I in highschool dressed up as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Or maybe it was the next year when we were Wayne and Garth.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

Okay, that craft is seriously adorable. I definitely want in on this drawing, so here you go...every Halloween needs a great witch, and I played the part pretty much EVERY year! I don't know why I loved being a witch so much, but it was by far my favorite Halloween costume.

Kristen said...

Tiffany is my friend so that is how I found this. My favorite costume with my family is from the beauty & the beast. My 2 year old was Bell, my husband Maurice- Bell's dad, & I was Mrs. Pot's. It was SO fun. I even won the ward costume contest. I just got the Bell dress from Shopko and my Boss' wife had the Mrs. Pots costume. We had a ball! Thanks & good luck with your idea search.

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gina said...

My favorite??? I was only one thing every year and that was a punk rocker. It was a pretty cheap and easy costume. So I guess that was my favorite.
By the way, I'm sitting next to your friend Tiffany at a digital scrapbook class and that's how I found your blog.
www.gigimcgary@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I,m too old to remember any of my costumes when I was a kid, but I sure have done some fun ones with you kids and your dad. It's hard to say my favorite. The cow costume for Angie was pretty clever and very cute, I think one of the funnest was the werewolf. Your dad had and old suit that was a little too small for him, I split the back seam and the armpit seams and bought some brown fake fur that was about an inch and a half long and hot glued it out the split seams. WE cut some jeans off just above his knees and frayed the hem. Them we bought some pointed ears that slipped over his ears and some fangs and we glued the fake fur on his eyebrows and on his knuckles and out hte neck of his teashirt. Then we gelled his hair up and crazy. I have to say he made a great werewolf and nobody recognized him! He also was a great wizard one year and a rodeo clown. I was a pretty good mad scientist with a white wig a lab coat with snakes and bugs coming out the pockets etc. I think that's what I'm going to be this year at work. Sorry this is so long, but it might give you some ideas. Love, MomA

Shyanne Butler said...

Hi becky you don't know me but I am a friend of Lorraine's I am actually braxtons Aunt anyway so I have to reply to question #2 I think my faviorite costume so far was from last year. My Daughter was dorthy and I did her hair just like dorthies and she had a basket with a little yorkie for toto and she has even ruby slippers my Mother had made the rest of her costume from a pattern and it was adorable. My son who is 2 went as the cowardly lion and I think his the costume really wore off on him because he was so whinny that day but it was really cute anyway to add tho the characters my Mother went as the wicked witch and my niece went as thr good witch we had there pictures done at walmart and they were really cute. As for this year I have no clue I figured I'd let them oick there own this year so we will see what happens. I love Halloween it is by far my fav holiday.
Shyanne Butler

Laura Bernard said...

Hey Becky! My most memorable costume was when my sister and I went as a two headed monster. My mom made a huge purple dress-like thing that we both fit in. We did braids that connected our heads together. I'm sure we drove each other crazy, being so close all night, but it was pretty fun!

Courtney said...

Becky! I want to thank you for my movie package! I am totally loving it!

As far as the costumes go, my son is going to be a red dragon this year! It is the cutest thing ever! I found it at Old Navy. And their costumes are on sell!

Courtney

Cook Family said...

Becky the blocks are so cute! I love Halloween too! My favorite costume for Ty was when he was only nine days old and a bumble bee. Sooo Cute! This year Ty loves the ghostbusters, so I will be figuring out how to make a ghostbusters cosutme so Ty can be "Peter Vankman" and Borrowing a ghostbusters costume from our friend so Chris can be "Ray" Pretty excited!
Corine

Amy said...

I know this is only Jordyn's 2nd Halloween, but her costume "drama" comes to mind with these questions. Last year we saw the CUTEST giraffe costume and thought that it would be perfect, especially since Jordyn's favorite toys at the time were her stuffed giraffes. Anyway, being new at this whole kid costume ordeal, I refused to buy it before October, BIG mistake. By the time October came around, the store was not only sold out of the giraffe costume, but ALL costumes for the 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes, so we were stuck trying to make a costume for her. Anyway, this year when I was looking for birthday presents (in August) I saw the giraffe costume again, and this time I bought it. I've learned that if you see a cute costume for the little ones buy it then, no matter how early in the year it is. Good luck coming up with ideas for the boys. I loved the farmer and his corn last year!

Amy said...

Where do you find all of these craft kits?

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

Don't know if this was my favorite, but I always remembered it.
When I was about 5 I dressed up as Oscar The Grouch. My boys always get a kick out of that when I tell them.

Doug, Marilee & Co. said...

Let's see how lucky I am this time around!! It looks like I will have some pretty tough competition, seems how you already have 24 comments! Okay, so my favorite costume was when I dressed up like Pippy Longstockings when I was 8 years old, which happened to be the same Halloween day that I got baptized! My kids were pretty cute last year as a zebra and a lion (thanks to Tyler's old lion costume!) I am hoping this year will take the cake with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I am so glad Gracie has agreed to be something non-horse related! It's not like you need help coming up with anything that takes creativity!

Mickelle's Minute said...

Becky: I only met you couple of times (once at the Children's Museum & once in the backyard at Coopers birthday party) before we moved away from NOLA, but I check your blog frequently because you take such great pictures and it is fun to see the stuff you do with your kids in NOLA. Makes me miss living there even more. Anyway, I guess I am not longer a "Blurker".

My favorite Halloween costume was in the late 80's. I was a "punk". complete with purple wig, and fluorescent spraypainted T-shirt!

Whitney & Charlie said...

My mom dressed me up as a clown when I was little and I loved wearing the wig. It was made out of stuff like tinsel string, not hair at all, so it was reflective. I thought it was so cool.
I'm also trying to figure out what I'm going to dress Allie up as, there's too many choices, and I have no idea what to do!
I'm going to try to use Marilee's trick since she won last year and tell you how good this craft will look in our new house! Where did you get this? If I don't win I'd like to make my own.

Amused Mom said...

What a fun idea, Becky! You caught me; I am a lurker, but rarely leave a comment. So, you've got a great insentive plan for comments.

One of my favorite costume ideas was my mom's inspiration. . .but it won't help you with your boys. She dressed me up as Pippi Longstocking. . . complete with my hair (that was long then) braided on each side of my head with wire strung through to make it stick out all crazy. I think she actually pulled apart a metal hanger and clipped just enough off to string it through the braids and around the back of my head.. . that's the only metal that was thick enough to hold up my hair. LOL.
And, I will confess, shortly after Mike and I were married, I had Mike help me string the hanger through my hair once more to bring to life my 'alter ego' once again. ha ha ha

Miss you guys!!
Charity

Alison said...

Okay, LOVE the ghost blocks so here goes...Question number 1. When I was a freshman in high school. I dressed up as Dorthory on Wizard of Oz. I went to Salvation Army and found a dress and spray painted glitter on red shoes. I looked SO good that I got 1st place in the costume contest for the entire school. It was so much fun. I have always loved Halloween and decorate a lot. I could use those adorable blocks. Happy Halloween :)

Heather said...

How fun... I'm doing a give a way on my blog as well... check it out cause you may win as well. You have til tomorrow morning til noon.
I love the blocks i hope i win!!
My favorite Halloween costumes for my kiddos have been the ones my sister-in-law made for them. Cayden wanted to be a marshmellow one year...so cute you can borrow it if you want :) Marlee was a duck 2 years ago..you can borrow that one as well too... I love Halloween so much as well it is my favorite time of year!!

Ortiz Family said...

i love this! i love halloween. I always wore this tiger costume that was my mothers when she was younger. I would grab the tail and sing "you ain't nuttin' but a hound dog" . my dad loved it when i did that. thanks for making me think of my old halloween days.

Anonymous said...

Becky, you are such a sweetheart. What a fun thing for you to do. I am not creative at all (as you know) but I guess one of my favorite costumes was when Hillary dressed as a little old grandma. I had a dress that looked grandma"ish" and she wore grandma looking nylons and I had a grandma type purse that she actually put her "treats" in and grandma costume jewelery and granny glasses and we made her hair gray and put it in a bun I think. It was cute. That wont help you out I know but I do remember the little farmer and cob of corn last year. It was so fun to be there with you guys and go trick or treating in such nice weather where we didnt really have to wear even jackets. I remember little Sammy was hot in his little corn costume. So fun. I am sure you will dream up something darling. Love you guys. grandma t

Kayleen said...

OH goody! I LOVE giveaways! My favorite costume was when I was in the fourth grade. I was Darth Vader. Yeah, I know, I'm a serious geek. I wore my dad's black motorcyle helmet that looked like Darth Vader, black clothes and a black cape. I remember it kept me warm at recess. All my idea too. . . surprise surprise! Maybe I could have chosen something a little more girly.

Stacey said...

Thanks so much for this opportunity...I can't even remember how I stumbled upon your blog, so I guess that makes me a lurker!

My favorite memory is of kids all being members of the "cat" family when my oldest was a cat, 2nd was a tiger and 3rd little baby boy (1 month at the time) was a lion.

Thanks again - Stacey
csfish@roadrunner.com

Maxwells said...

I also love those blocks, how cute!
I stress over halloween every year. Bu I am a stresser, doesn't matter what is going on I'm stressing over it. So usually halloween is hard for me. My favorite kid costume so far was Benjamin's doctor scrubs last year. My mom is a great seamstress so she made it. When I was a kid i always had the BEST costumes bc my mom can make anything. I think my fav was when I was Cinderella and my sister was Snow White. It's so cute that Annie loves cinderella now.

Anonymous said...

I have to add another...I promise this isn't to stack the deck in my favour...and pleeease don't disqualify my for a double entry! But, 2 years ago my kids went as a Cow girl, a cow boy and a cow. They were so cute! Thomas was only 2 months old and a friend found the cutest cow costume at Childrens place on clearance. We had one of the hats but found another for pretty cheap at a western store (along with real wrangler jeans and cow boy boots). I threw in a pistol and shot gun with a bandana around the neck. So fun! Just an idea..
Shauna (again)

Hillary said...

I always liked the classic witch costume or the "grandma" one that my mom talked about. Halloween is so fun, but man you HAVE to be creative! I think I am going to start a new tradition this year and have a halloween dinner. I found some fun recipes! I am still searching for your boat costume! I might have a little halloween cowboy here, too. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Becky I first want to say that I am so happy that you are all safe. You have been a constant thought during the bad weather. Anyways on to the funner things in life. We I was a kid my mom dressed all of us kids up as the Wizard of Oz characters. She made all of the costumes. Stephanie was Dorothy (she carried a basket with toetoe in it of course) I was the wicked which of the west (which was really scary for me) Joshua was the tin man, Jacob was the lion and we pulled a wagon with a scare crow in it. We actually won $25 from the town of Adel for best costumes. The things our parents make us do!
Angela Adams

Jo Ann Anderson said...

So I need to know where you found this cute kit. Most likely I will not be lucky enough to win, so I will have to order one for myself.
My favorite costume that my kids were dressed up as was a BYU Cheerleader. Complete with socks, shoes and pom poms. I was so excited to pull it out for this year, but Avalon is too much of chunk and it is way to small.....I'm so sad.
JoAnn

M & S Eagar said...

Okay - how fun! My favorite Halloween costume I wore when I was little was the year I was Annie. I was obsessed -had the wig, red dress - everything!!! The classic favorite I've dressed my kids up would be the year they were Dorothy, the Tin Man, and Glenda the Good Fairy from Wizard of Oz. It's a classic. This year in the family fun magazine I saw a family of 5 dressed up as a BLT sandwich. The parents were each a slice of bread and then each of the 3 children were bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. It was super cute and easy to make out of felt. I'm sure you could find specifics at www.familyfun.com

Thanks for doing the giveaway and good luck with your costume ideas.

Challis said...

I think my favorite costume ever was when my parents dressed me up as a bunch of purple grapes (I was about 4). I wore green tights, a green leotard and a green hat. I had about a dozen large purple balloons pinned all over me. It was pretty awesome...
Also, I think my favorite picture of Sam is the very top one. I also love love LOVE the colored one of him in the cowboy hat. So CUTE!!

Kristy said...

Woweee sistah! You have quite the following.

I LOVE Halloween mostly because it's the day that I met my hubby.

Let's see....favorite costume as a kid. I think I'm going to go with either Princess Lea or the year that my best friend and I were the Stay Puff Marshmallow men from Ghostbusters. We made those costumes. I'm sure they were HIDEOUS!

Well wish me luck with your drawing! I think those are stinkin' cute letters!

Kelly said...

Cute blocks! I love halloween. Growing up my mom had it easy. Every year my siblings and I wanted to be punk rockers. What exactly are punk rockers and where did we get the term? who knows. But it was cheap and easy. All my mom had to do was purchase different colors of hair spray. Then we would spike our hair and wear crazy clothes. So random!

Shannon said...

It is always fun to have an extra reason to leave a comment! I love the blocks and want to know where you got the kit. I was originally planning on commenting on Sam's gorgeous one year old pictures. You are so talented! I want to book you in advance to take some newborn pictures of my next little guy coming in January. Let me know if this will be a possibility.

On to my favorite Halloween costume: My kids always want to be Spidermen or skeletons, so I'll tell you about my favorite costume. My cousin and I dressed up as Indiana Jones when we were in highschool. We found some vests, white shirts and hats on sale at the gap that I can only assume were meant to be stylish at the time, but seemed so far out there for me that they were fun to use for "dress up" and they were on sale (drastically reduced since I am guessing few people could have pulled off the Indiana Jones look that we did). I also found some great boots at Payless and the costume was complete. All I lacked was a whip (thank goodness).

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Cute blocks!! How fun you are! And I love thinking about anything Halloween, so this is fun for me. I still love the strawberry shortcake costume that my grandma made for me (I swear I wore it for like 3 years). And I just have to tell you how excited I am about my boys costumes for this year - they're not creative, but they're sooo cute! Zebra and elephant...you can find used Tom Arma costumes online & they are ridiculously cute (and great quality). I'm excited to see what Tyler & Sam end up being!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I no longer want to be a stalker of your blog! I've thought long and hard about my Halloween costumes as a kid and seriously I think I was pretty much a witch every year!! Obviously I am not a very creative person. Hallie pretty much has my creativity and is some sort of princess every year. Dewey's one and only costume so far was a turtle. I know, I am not any help to you at all. I can't believe I am comment #46! You are one popular lady!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to put my name on the last comment
Diana

Anonymous said...

Rebecca Lynn, thanks for the last minute heads up on the drawing. I'm hoping now we found each other on facebook we'll keep in better touch, although I feel in touch with you since I too, stalk your blog. But I'm clearly not alone, I checked your site counter! Holy cow! You definately have a talent! Anyway, my favorite costume too as others I read was a punk rocker! Have I ever meant a real punk rocker, most definately not, however I loved being one with crazy pink hair and wild clothes and feeling oh so rebellious! This year my kids are both being something scary which is a first, I'm not sure I like it but I suppose you can't choose for them forever. Kaden will be a grim reaper, didn't know what that looked like until a few weeks ago, and Mylee will hopefully be the cutest witch I've ever seen! I look forward to seeing yours and I'll definately post some pics on facebook!

The Heck Family said...

Wow, just in under the wire, Becky!! Haven't checked your blog in a while, thanks for visitng mine it was great to hear from you. You are doing an amazing job with your photography. You really seem to capture Sam's little one year old personality. As for the answer to my qustion...Oliver was an adorable spider from Old Navy last year. I borrowed the costume from Linds. Spooky yet, cute!! Hopefully, I will find something equally cute this year.