January 30-February 1
We enjoyed our second Mardi Gras season in New Orleans this year. We hit as many parades as we could before we headed out of town to Idaho. We missed the actual Fat Tuesday celebration, which was actually kind of sad, but to make up for it, we tried to catch as many beads as possible before we left. Lucky for us, there are oodles of parades to hit before Fat Tuesday so we got our fill before we left. The sad part was that since Mardi Gras fell so early this year, the weather didn't always cooperate and some of the bigger parades we were going to go to got rained out. But really, I promise, we got plenty of beads without them!
After moving here and experiencing our first Mardi Gras last year, it was refreshing to find out that it really is incredibly family friendly. It's all about the kids. And the kids LOVE it. The traditional line to yell is "Throw me something, mister!" and this year Tyler had it down pat. With his hand out stretched, he yelled and yelled and begged and pleaded.
And as you can see, it totally paid off. Not only do you catch beads, you also catch toys, stuffed animals, doubloons (a Mardi Gras coin), and some Krewes hand out their signature items such as a decorated shoe or a coconut. You don't get candy, that's for sure! Tyler was getting so many beads that he'd wear some for a while and then take them off and deposit them in our bag and collect some more. We did this over and over and over.
When we were driving to our first parade, Tyler (my obsessive little green lover) told me that he was "so excited" and that he really really hoped he could catch some green beads. Looks like the riders in the parade somehow knew that was what he wanted.
It's amazing that you *kind of* start to think that purple, yellow, and green aren't all that bad together. And then you wake up the next day and realize that they are still a pretty pukey combination!


Tyler got to go with his little friend Anna to see her sister Ellie ride in her school parade. So he and Sam got to wear their matching Mardi Gras t-shirts and they looked pretty dang cute! It was fun because it was in the daytime. And we got so much stuff it was insane! All from an elementary school.
Anyone who lives here will know that the above picture is a pretty poor representation of how the trees look after a parade. But this was only after an elementary school parade, keep in mind! Beads drape the branches of the big trees around town forever after Mardi Gras. If you go to uptown, the branches are just heavy with beads. It's amazing! So I thought I'd throw in a much scaled down version for you! I can't imagine having the task of cleaning the beads out of trees. It would be such a pain!
This is Tyler and Anna. Tyler was a bit gun shy after getting hit in the face with some beads. He was not a fan of that! But he eventually warmed back up and got back out there to get him some more beads.
And here is the cutest little Mardi Gras baby ever!So, even after it was all said and done and we only got to hit 3 parades, I'd say our Mardi Gras was a success. I didn't count the individual strands of beads, but we collected over 50 POUNDS of them, got 12 stuffed animals, and a bunch of toys (I guess there wasn't exactly a "need" to be here for Fat Tuesday with all of that junk taking over my house!). None of it was nice, it's all junk really. I'm ready to get rid of it soon (picking up beads gets really old really fast), but it's definitely not the throws that matter, it's the thrill of the catch! Nothing beats the feeling of getting a throw. It's just the best. We love Mardi Gras!
And a funny Tyler story--since we've been home and playing in the beads again, he keeps bringing me some beads (always the same strand of silver ones) and says, "here, Mommy. Here is some boo-u-ful beads for you wear to the temple." Interesting perspective. I'm not sure if Mardi Gras beads are appropriate attire for wearing to the temple, but I don't know if Tyler quite understands that!





9 comments:
How fun for you. I've visited New Orleans a couple of times but never during Mardi Gras. I never realized it was family friendly. Maybe we'll have to check it out sometime.
Love your blog entry. Sounds lke you had a blast. I think beads and toys are way better than overloading the kids with candy. Thanks for posting!
(p.s. Your reference to Ellie and Anna at first made me very confused thinking the Davis made a trip down there! Wouldn't that be great though?!) :-)
When I saw your commnets on my blog, I got so excited because that meant you might be back blogging again and I had to get my fix. And you did not disappoint. Can I be honest with you for a second? I have to admit that I have been sceptical of little Sam being as stinkin cute as Big T. Don't get me wrong I've always thought he was a cute baby, but come on he's had Tyler to compete with. Well, this post totally blew that out of the water. He is taking on so much personality in these pictures and those eyes just about killed me. I have to say, watch out Tyler here comes Samuel.
Oh...great post. :)
Loved this post! I needed to do a little armchair traveling (you can call it that even though it wasn't tv, right?). Anyway - Mardi Gras sounds great! I'd love to go someday. The only time I've ever been there, I was doing Katrina disaster cleanup. It was empty, stinky & so sad - what a contrast to your post!! Loved the pictures. Tyler has the CUTEST profile ever & Sam has such beautiful, bright eyes!
Hey - I got the John Deere floor puzzle at The Cracker Barrel restaurant gift shop. It was one of those spontaneous purchases that end up being the best ever. It supplies countless hours of fun for Brady and I'm sure it would do the same for Tyler. Plus, it was less than $10. So, good luck!
I think that looks so fun. Maybe next year we will have to come experience it too. I'm glad you were able to take a little in and come to Idaho. We love you. momt
That must have been so fun. It is kind of funny seeing Tyler with all those beads!! Cute kids!!
Glad to see that you are home and back to blogging. We have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras as we missed our chance when we were working in Puerto Rico....everyone took the trip but we chose to stay in Puerto Rico and we have been sad ever since. Maybe we will venture that way when our kids are a little older, it looks way fun.
I have missed your blogging since you have been gone. We were so glad that you could come to Ellie's parade. By the way this moving thing just kind of happened recently :) Crazy huh!
Post a Comment