Tuesday, Feb 5, 2008
There's no way we could have let Mardi Gras come and go without marking the celebration and partying it up, even if we were in Idaho. So we drug some beads and some New Orleans traditions with us to Idaho and began planning a party. Marilee & Doug were nice enough to host at their house and Garrett and I spent the day cooking. (yes, Garrett really truly even helped me!) We made a big huge (ended up being WAY too huge!) pot of red beans and rice, a pot of jambalaya, and a king cake--of course. Mardi Gras is not complete without a king cake! And actually my mom did most of that (thanks Mom!).
Da boyz...
It seemed that little Rhett was the biggest bead lover of the night. And he was cuter than heck wearing them around!
The newlyweds
The king cake masterpiece...Almost didn't have any purple sprinkles on it until we found some Barbie sprinkles at the last minute. Thank goodness for Barbie! And Gracie got the baby, so it looks like she'll be hosting the next king cake party. King cakes (which are basically just a big cinnamon roll ring with frosting--and so yummy!) have a plastic baby baked in them. (I guess it's supposed to be symbolic of the baby Jesus because you know Mardi Gras is totally a religious holiday, right?) And if you get the baby, that means you are throwing the next party. So Gracie better get to work planning!
And what do you do when someone's birthday falls on Mardi Gras? You kill two birds with one stone and have the king cake double as a birthday cake. Whitney's birthday was on Fat Tuesday so we celebrated for her as well! And what do you do when you can't find any matches to light the candles? Well, it depends on who you are, of course, but Doug got a blow torch from his garage and, well, improvised, you know. Happy Birthday Whitney! And Happy Mardi Gras to you all!





5 comments:
Umm! I can just taste the jambalaya now!! I'll have you know Rhett is still the biggest bead lover even after I threw all but a few necklaces away and put the ones I kept in Gracie's dress ups, he still manages to find a few and will not take them off for anything! Marilee
Who made the King Cake- did you?! It looks fabulous! You can definitely tell that Tyler and Sam are brothers- Sam's starting to get Tylers little eyebrows. It's so cute.
Lexi, my mom and I made the king cake. Actually, she did most of the work really... :) I just 'supervised' and let her know how it was supposed to look and then I made the frosting and put some sprinkles on. So my part was easy! It did turn out yummy though. I've never made one before and it was a fun thing to do.
Thanks for the yummy mardi gras dinner party. It is fun to learn of the traditions that you guys have shared with us. Even brought necklaces all that way---like you didnt have enough to bring. love you. momt
Post a Comment