Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Robbed

That is what we woke up to find out this morning. That title is not a joke, sarcasm, or a pun. GT went out to his pick up to go to work this morning to find out that we had been burglarized. Someone broke in to it last night and they didn't take much-- you know, just the stuff that was valuable. They stole his Sirius satellite radio receiver and a flashlight that was wired in to the pick up so it charges (kind of hard to explain, but it was very cool and of course--valuable). And the sad thing is both things were gifts that GT had received and both of them were two of very few things which make his daily commute in the old junky pick up a little better. The radio was my gift to him for Christmas last year and the flashlight was a birthday gift from my parents a few years ago. So, that's it...just like that they're gone and there is not much we can do about it. We called the police, knowing that it would go nowhere as most cases like this do. They came out and even dusted for prints, but came up with nothing. A report has been filed, and we assume that'll pretty much be the end of that. Strange feelings come about when something like this happens. For starters, we have always felt pretty safe since we live in a "gated" area (knowing that it certainly is not difficult to get in here), but of course it can happen anywhere--and for all we know, it could be someone that lives here, you never know. And there aren't adequate words to describe how you feel when something that is rightfully yours and is meaningful to you (and quite nice to own, in fact) is just taken, just like that and you just have to deal with it. You can't do a darn thing about it. You just feel so violated and kind of creeped out really. So you can be mad, but at who? at what? And also, nothing like getting you the warm fuzzy feelings that surround the holidays than being robbed... Yep, not really in the spirit of the season. But oh well, things could always be worse, but that is my venting for the day. I just hope the thief enjoys a satellite radio receiver that has already been de-activated and a flashlight that will stop working as soon as the charge runs out and he can't put it back on the charger. Because I knew we enjoyed having them while they were OURS. I hope your day all got started better than ours!! And now I've got to get on to blogging about more exciting things (like T's birthday, for starters). I can't believe it's been a week since I posted!

10 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

I know the feeling. When Ayden was a baby and just after Ryan graduated from undergrad his car was broken into. The trunk had all of his graduation presents, like a new dutch oven and really cool latern for camping. He also had tools and CD's stolen. I guess for us we were so poor at that time and those were all really nice things that it made it even worse. The police did the same for us, nothing!! We think it was our neighbors(we lived in a duplex at the time), but couldn't prove it. I am sorry, that sucks and at the wrong time of year to boot! Hope you have a better day!!

Lexi said...

How frusturating that the police didn't find any prints! Obviously this is a pro. I would definitely tell Garrett to park in a different spot for a while and don't try to replace the items now-you just might have a repeat incident... especially if this is one of your 'neighbors' who can see whether the items have been replaced by a simple glance. That is REALLY sickening and disheartening. I'm sorry that this happened to you guys. I can't say 'well maybe they needed it' like people who steal food or clothing because who needs a satelite radio except to make some money on the sly? I hope the rest of your holidays go by without incident (or at least a bad one!). Glad you guys are okay too- although perhaps a little broken hearted. Hang in there!

cshel said...

That's just awful! I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I cant believe that. I was sad to read this blog. Usually I love reading them and cant wait for the next but this one made me sick---and angry too. You just feel so violated and wonder what next type of thing. I feel so bad for you guys. and like you said---nothing you can do about it but be "ticked off". I am so sorry though. Hang in there. love mom

Anonymous said...

How crappy!!! My first thought was, "that's what you get for living in New Orleans", but then I remembered that my car was broken into not once, but twice when I lived right by the BYU campus in Provo, UT. Also I remembered that your car was broke into when you guys lived in IF. So, I guess it happens no matter where you live! I still think you should live here anyways!! Love ya, Marilee

Anonymous said...

How do people do that so quickly and slickly? It's so maddening. It makes me wish you could surround your truck with electric barbed wire or something. Your dad lost my cool flaslight and he was able to replace just the light and use the same charger, but it was still pretty expensive. I'm so sorry that this happened. Please don't loose your faith in mankind, but be careful anyway!
Love MomA

Amy said...

I'm sorry this happened to you. I understand your frustration. Erik's truck was stolen about a month after he moved here. To tell you how "quickly" things get taken care of here in New Orleans, his case is still "under investigation." This incident happened in May 2005, and they caught the guys who took the truck. I hope you have better luck, if they find the guys who did this.

M & S Eagar said...

So Sorry! Matt and I had the same thing happen - only when Matt went out to his truck to go to work - the truck was gone! The police actually found it after a couple of days, but the vulnerable taken advantage of feeling was horrible. Good Luck with everything.

Kayleen said...

Oh Becky . . . so sorry! The same thing happened to us a couple of years ago in Memphis. They actually stole Shane's school bag with his books in it right before Christmas. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a new Pharmacology book huh! Your post about Tyler, however, is wonderful! What a cutie!

Dan and Amanda Arrhenius said...

I am so sorry Becky! That is so terrible. I wonder how some people sleep at night, ahhhhh I hate that! Have a better day!
Amanda