Saturday, September 8, 2007

38 Weeks...

...and one day, to be exact. OK, I'm ready. Maybe I'm not. I can't decide. Yes, I am longing for the day that I can wear a pair of pants with a zipper and put the maternity clothes away for a long time. But am I really ready for this? My mind has been racing the last four weeks of things I better get done before this baby arrives. It's as if the world is coming to an end and I'll never ever in my life be able to do some of these "things" again. Of course I know that's not true, but you wouldn't know it by the crusade to accomplish that I've been on the last month. I have scrubbed, I have swept, I have mopped, I have vaccumed, I have shampooed the carpets. I'm having an affair with Mr. Clean, but don't tell him I'm just using him for his magic eraser. I have washed, folded, put away, purged, sorted, discarded, organized, re-organized, and paid bills in advance. I have made purchases, returns, trips to Goodwill & consignment shops, and sold on ebay. I have made lists, and lists, and lists about my lists, and even managed to cross off a few things on those lists.

I have crocheted,

I have sewed,
I have even scrapbooked an album--just awaiting some pictures--for a baby who is not yet here (I'm crazy, I know!).
I have decorated, hung pictures, washed bedding, and made beds. I have washed & vaccumed my car and packed a bag for everyone in this house. It is no wonder that I'm asleep the minute my head hits the pillow at night. But I wake up the next morning feeling a need to go at it at full speed again.

Ahhh, so I'm ready, right? I should be, right? Is there anything possibly left to do? Why is it that pregnant women "nest" like this at the end? (I've always hated the term "nesting" for some reason, but since that's what everyone calls it, I don't know what else to call it!) I know there's a sense of being "ready" for the new baby that is there and a need to have all my affairs in order before I go into labor, but that still doesn't seem to be quite why I'm doing this. I have pondered this question of why many, many times in the last month and the only conclusion I can come up with is that as I enter into the world of the unknown, there is some sense of calming that comes from trying to control the world that I DO know. But, it shouldn't be an unknown world, right? I mean, I have had a child before, I have experienced labor, I have experienced sleep deprivation and all that goes with it, BUT I haven't had THIS child before, or experienced THIS labor, or tried to adjust to life with TWO kids. I know it can be done because others have done it and done it very well, but there's just no way of knowing what it will be like for me and that is what scares me. But, at least I know I've done all I can do now to get ready for this little boy to join our family and really and truly I am excited and giddy to meet him (and wear regular clothes again--did I mention that?!). I guess I'll take as much comfort in that as I can.So, okay, we're ready Baby. Or maybe not, I think I might have missed a spot...

10 comments:

Hillary said...

We can't wait to meet baby brother! Becky, you are the readiest person I have ever met. I know that you will be totally ready and will be the best mommy to two wild boys! Love you!

Heitmann Family said...

Becky- you have such a way with words. I think every mother has gone through something very similar. I know with Lauryn I was on my hands and knees spot cleaning my carpets and scrubbing my kitchen floors. I couldn't walk afterward but they were clean, and that was all that mattered. You will handle two just wonderfully and in a month or two you will wonder what you were worrying about. Good luck and I want to see lots of pictures!!!

emily said...

You just described perfectly how I think every mother feels every time she gives birth. Or at least how I felt both times I did! And then, you know what? It just flows. You end up having that cute little peanut, and you just love him, and the sun keeps shining each morning and you just keep doing what you always do. Just with another squawky little mouth around. And you'll be just as amazing then as you are right now. Go get 'em! You're going to be GREAT!

The Nielsen Family said...

Oh man Becky, you got my heart racing as well just reading your posting. Goodluck and you'll do awesome!!

cshel said...

What a great post Becky! Looks like "nesting" (sorry!) has gone into overdrive; but you're ready and you'll be glad that you've done what you have thus far when the little one makes his appearance. Because then it won't matter how much laundry has piled up or how bad the kitchen floor looks. It'll be an adjustment - all change is; but you're gonna be a great mom and Tyler is going to adore his little brother!

Kris said...

You are too funny. I'm what, 32 weeks now, and I scrubbed the floor last week and told Tyler that it was the last time I'd be scrubbing on my hands and knees until after the baby comes. Hello swiffer mop!

Everything will be fine! Just breath. Keep us posted!

Brook said...

Becky, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...you probably will not ever be able to do those things again!!! At least not for a very long, long time. So if by chance there is a small moment you are able to do something count your day or week or year a success! You seem more than ready to me.

Maxwells said...

OK, You are the domestic diva! Your talent is amazing! I was pretty scared with the change to 2 kids, but you get used to it. And it is so nice when they can play together!
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hey Becky-

I don't know how I missed this post. I was looking back at some of yours and saw this one. Wow! You are so close (even closer now). I just ADORE the picture. That is priceless. Honestly, I can't say I have experienced "nesting" unless you can call that the last 5 years. But, now it doesn't seem to matter so much if the floor is clean. You are ready and you will be great :) This is an exciting time. You will be in my thoughts as this new little one makes his arrival.

Alison

THE BEAN FAMILY : aaron,candace,ashlyn,alysse, and macey said...

Becky that picture is toooo cute. Look at you go with all your little crafties! I need to get to work!!!! good luck with baby number two...i mean the labor and delivery part. the rest is fun! I love new babies.