Well, well, well...hi there! I'm back. I think. Many of you noticed that my blog was private last week. You know, my thoughts are always going back & forth on the issue and I had my moment where I just felt uneasy with the whole thing. So I just clicked private and forgot about it all for a week. No invites or anything (so no one feel bad that you weren't 'invited'). So after a week to think about it, I can say I don't really want to go private (and yes, I know it's probably silly that I've thought about it so much), but I also really feel like I do need to know who's even still reading this blog. So, do me a favor, will ya? Leave me a comment and say hi. It would give me great peace of mind right now. I know, I'm lame to be asking for a comment, but indulge me this once, mmkay? And besides, it's certainly very possible that I'll be going back private again and soon, so I would need to know who has an interest in keeping up with us, so it'd be a good idea to chime in now! Thanks a million times over. :)And now, back to regularly scheduled business...since I can't post without a picture, the top picture is at the SLC Temple when we were there briefly on April 27, en route to Idaho for a week. I have all those updates coming up, but wanted to leave you with that picture.
But fast forward a bit to this last weekend, I surprised Garrett with a little weekend 'getaway' for his birthday/our 10th anniversary. It was FUN! An entire decade of marriage, that's kind of hard to believe. And kind of crazy to think that we only left Tyler overnight once when he was 18 months old (out of necessity to come here and check things out before we moved) and other than that, we've never been kid-free since we became parents. OK, something is not right about that! It was nice to remember that before kids, we were us, and that is a good thing. :) And Garrett was shocked to say the least. To start the weekend, I showed up at work with his sport coat and told him we were going out, but didn't tell him where (but it was a 'jacket required' kind of place). I just plugged in the address in the GPS and told him to drive there. :) We ended up at Commanders Palace and believe me, it lived up to the hype of being the best restaurant in New Orleans, a 5 star place. Wow! I can't even begin to use words to describe it all, it could never do it justice. Believe me, it was quite an experience, though. We felt like our desserts were photo worthy, so thank heavens for cell phone cameras (even though they end up looking so poor, not quite sure if it's worth it!) But on the left, we have my fresh Louisiana blueberry shortcake and on the right we have Garrett's bread pudding souffle--their most famous dessert.
We stayed the night at a hotel in the French Quarter and went to brunch at Brennans the next morning. And it is truly the best breakfast you'll ever eat--complete with their famous bananas foster dessert. A 3 course breakfast, complete with dessert--who could complain about that?! And then we headed home and back to the kids after that, but it was amazing how much more we loved them after some time away. ha ha! The weekend was really great, but I do think my favorite thing of it all was how surprised Garrett was by the whole thing. I love surprising people!! I think I could be a professional at it. :) He had NO idea I had anything up my sleeve. And I was so relieved that everything came together like it did!
So, then yesterday (Sunday) was his actual birthday and we didn't do anything too fancy, but I did figure I'd give a fancy shmancy cake a try (his birthday is really the only time I try it, pretty much). So I made THIS cake. A chocolate mousse crunch cake. Complete with homemade ganache and mousse from scratch. Yeah, I'm kind of giving myself a pat on the back here, but hey, it's once a year. :) It was yummy!

Notice two little helpers here--one on the left and one on the right. They were sure excited for their OLD man to turn 32! :)So, that's a wrap and my regular catch up will resume soon, but I must say Happy Birthday (yesterday) & Happy Anniversary (Wednesday) to Garrett! I love you and am so very grateful for you (and I'll avoid getting too mushy here, you're welcome!). And while I'm at it, I suppose I should just throw in the Happy Father's Day now, and be ahead of the game.
And in the mean time, don't forget to say hi. :) Thanks!





37 comments:
Hi! :) Happy Anniversary to you two. Ten years? Wow! Time flies. It sounds like you had a great anniversary/birthday celebration. All of the food pictures look super yummy.
That looks like it was so much fun!!! Oh and I am a regular reader of your blog. If you go private- count me in on the invite list!!!
Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. Congrats on 10 yrs together and Happy birthday to Garrett. If you decide to go private I'd love to have an invite. I enjoy reading about your families fun adventures!
How fun for you guys. I wish I was there to have a taste of that cake :)
And yes I love reading your blog. And I completely understand the back and forth of deciding whether or not to go private! I do the same thing.
Seriously, that looks divine. And don't feel bad about the private thing. I think about it TONS too, and I think I am going to do it after we move...so stay posted. I feel the same thing about knowing who is looking at my blog.
Alison C (under Jeff's account currently)
Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday!!! SOunds like you had a great weekend!! I do miss the food in LA.
Hi!!
Sounds like a great surprise!
Hi! Ok, I love that pic of the temple/flowers. Any chance I can buy a print???
I was actually worried that I missed the announcement that you were going private and was about to contact you through FB to get an invite. So for future, if you really do go private I would love to be invited :)
p.s. I'm glad you guys had a good time away just the two of you it sounds fabulous!
Well I'm glad you're back! I was beginning to worry that you were having a midlife crisis or something!
Congrats on the anniversary and tell G-Dog happy b-day! I didn't know you went kid-less all night! I'm jealous! Who watched the boys for you?
Yay! I'm glad you're back. That dessert at Commander's AND the dessert you made look fabulous. And a three course breakfast?? Sign me up! :) I'm glad you had a great weekend of festivities. Happy anniversary and birthday (Garrett)! If you do go private, I hope I'm invited to the super top secret blog. ;-0
I loved the surprise weekend getaway for Garrett's birthday and your tenth anniversary. I wish I could have wished Mark away in our tenth. I will have to live through you, Commander's Palace and all:). Happy Anniversary! You deserved the break! P.S. I want to be invited to your secret blog;).
would love an invite. love looking at your blog! that desseert looks so yumm-O :)
nhmiller25@msn.com
Your cake looks divine! And I love the Happy Anniversary written on your dessert plates at the restaurant.
I can count the number of times we've left our kids on 1 hand, so I get it. But, glad you made the effort to get away and celebrate!
Love your blog....don't visit blogs as much as I used to; but still like to check in. I love hearing how the family is doing; but also admiring your amazing photos!
Happy Anniversery!
I do read your blog, but if you go private, I'd probably stop. Without Google Reader checking for me, I just don't take the time to search all the private ones down. I'm lost a few cousins that way . . . : )
Your cake looked BEAUTIFUL!!
I know how you feel about the going private thing--and I don't even have kids or anything real exciting. Have you changed your comments so that no anonymous people can leave comments? And I have an email sent to me every time I get a comment so that I can either accept it or reject it. Anyways, you might already do that. PS Your cake reminded me of my favorite Chilean desert--yum!
Dear Becky,
Please, please,please remember me when you go private with your blog. After all, I am YOUR MOTHER! I felt so sad when I thought your were rejecting me last week. I love the cake and all the good food. Suprises are so much fun. I love you, MomA
I read your blog, I love your blog, and I (like you) worry about who else is reading my blog. It's sometimes funny when I visit my parents and people will come out of the woodwork to talk about something I mentioned on my blog. Anyway, good job at surprising Garrett...we'll be celebrating 10 years in August by going to a baby doctor appointment. Doesn't that sound fun? Your plans sounded much much better!
Sounds like it was an amazing weekend!! Congrats and happy birthday to Garrett!
Kudos to you! I was pretty sad the other day when I clicked on your blog and it said I couldn't read it. Keep it coming! :)
I'm saying Hi. I love to read your blog so please keep me in mind. Looks like you and Garrett had a fantastic time and the desserts look incredible. Good job on the one you made it looks fabulous!
Becky, I love reading and looking at your blog. Amazing cake! Your kids are growing up so fast!
I LOVE your blog and I love, love, love your pictures! Seriously, I am a bit addicted. :)Thanks for mentioning the our best bites site...looks like a great resource. Congrats on 10 years, sounds like you two had so much fun!
Hey Becky it's Carter your bestest and favorite brother here reading your blog.
BTW if you want to still read mine i decided to go private to.
thanks,
heather
I love to read your blog, I don't read it as often as I would like, but I especially love to look at your awesome pictures that you take. Hope you guys are doing well. Those cakes look awesome!!!!
Hiya Becky!
This is Stephanie, Serena's roommate of old. I love your blog and all of your pics. :)
Keep 'em coming! (And I promise I won't steal your children. ;) )
That cake looks sooo yummy!! And I still read your blog!!!!!!
I'm a little jealous of your getaway! Josh and I have always talked about getting away for our 10th anniversary without kids as well...we just had our 9th and better get planning I guess. I do read you blog and I LOVE all your pictures!!! Wish we were closer and I would hire you!
Yay for 10 years! That cake looks heavenly. Awesome job!
i look at your blog. you have such a cute family and take wonderful pictures!
As you know, I am a stalker of your blog (the unfreaky kind--I swear). And please please please come make me that cake for my birthday. Please?
10 years!!! Congrats!
I deliberated over the going private thing so I totally get it. If you go private, don't forget about me!!! I'll definitely need an invite!
Oh, hello! I found your LOVELY blog today...I'm loving it:) You got a new follower!
I LOVE YOUR BLOG BUT IF YOU GO PRIVATE I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND AND KNOW THAT WE WOULD BE INCLUDED---I HOPE ANYWAY. I AM GLAD YOU GUYS WERE ABLE TO GET AWAY. YOU SO DESERVE IT AND I AM GLAD THAT THE KIDS DID SO WELL. IT IS HARD WHEN YOU DONT HAVE THE LUXURY OF FAMILY TO HELP YOU OUT. THAT PLACE SOUNDS PRETTY AWSOME. YOU KNOW JIM WOULD LOVE IT. YOUR CAKES SOUNDS PRETTY AMAZING TOO. CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS. CANT BELIVE IT HAS BEEN 10 YEARS. AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARRETT. TOO BAD YOU AND YOUR DAD COULDNT HAVE GOLFED AND FIT SOME OTHER THINGS IN TOO. I GUESS YOU WILL HAVE TO COUNT THE GOLFING YOU GUYS DID IN APRIL FOR YOUR "BIRTHDAY GOLF" TRADITION. DANG!!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT TIME THOUGH. LOVE AND MISS YOU GUYS.
MOM
Hi Becky, I'm still reading, so if you go private, don't leave me out! :)
I know I'm a little late here, but of COURSE the Palenskes love to check in with the Thalgotts! Don't leave us off the list if you make the plunge. And if it's any consolation, I still wonder about whether we should've done it too...
Post a Comment