Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Very Good Friday

One of my favorite things each year is approaching Easter Weekend and realizing that Garrett gets Good Friday off work. We usually don't realize it until a day or two before, so it's a fun treat to be able to come up with a fun thing to do for the day. We thought of a few things, but the activity we picked was going to the small amusement park at City Park. It ended up being PERFECT for taking our kids and they honestly loved every minute of it. It was a fun little thing to do, totally out of the ordinary and the boys both still talk about it all the time and Sam is always saying "thank you for taking me to the 'a-museum' park" (seriously, he even said this today)! So, we splurged a bit, but it was so fun and just the perfect day.

The thing that was so great is that it's fairly small and the rides are all geared toward little kids, so a lot of them they could go on by themselves, and there weren't many people there that day but it was a gorgeous day, so it was just right on so many levels. The ages the boys are right now made it just right. You'd have thought we'd gone to Disneyland by the looks on their faces. They were in heaven!! So, here are a "few" pictures: :)

Check out Tyler & Sam's faces...this was the very first thing we did when we got there and they were a little ill prepared for it. But the faces still make me crack up!!
Then, here is the 2nd thing we did--the Tilt a Whirl. Garrett & Tyler knew they wanted to go and Sam was just barely tall enough, but didn't want to be left behind, but again, the looks on the faces say it all. Sam was petrified and the others were loving it!
And now onto the cars--now we're talking as far as Sam is concerned. He LOVED them. Seriously loved them and could have spend the entire day on them.
Tyler in a pink car--he is comfortable in his masculinity enough to drive the pink jeep!

The Rock'n Tug, another of Tyler's absolute favorites.
The trucks:
The mini 'tea cup' type of ride. At this point in the game, Sam was getting so tired, but he just kept going and going and going. His face says it all, though, he was over stimulated and in the zone! This little ride turned into a heated battle for control of the wheel:
And turned into this! But all in all, this was the only issue we had the entire day!

The airplanes--another huge hit for both boys. You can't see Sam in the pictures, but he was sitting behind Tyler and they both could have rode this all day long!

The older boys on the ferris wheel. Are they twins or what?

And last, but not least, the carousel. It is an old historic carousel housed in a little building. It's really pretty cool. Sam didn't think so at first, but warmed up to it once it stopped!

We all rode the train through the park and Sam zonked out fast asleep the minute we got going on it. He was so tired. And I mostly just enjoyed watching everyone ride the rides since I wasn't really 'needed' to go on that many. So I got to take pictures and soak it all in and I rather enjoyed myself! When we got off the train, Sam was still dead asleep in my arms so Garrett & Tyler decided that was a good opportunity to ride the rides that Sam wasn't big enough for or that he wouldn't want to go on. So I found a nice bench in the shade by the Tilt a Whirl and held a sleeping Sam while Garrett & Tyler rode. There weren't many people there that day, so I could hear Garrett and Tyler laughing together behind me while they were riding the Tilt a Whirl and I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. It was just one of those moments I wanted to freeze in time--just a day for all of us to not have a care in the world, to relax and laugh, and feel like a kid again. We were sad to leave and all had a list of things we wanted to ride 'just one more time'! Oh, how I love this little family of mine!

And top the day off with a great dinner with some old friends who were in town, I'd say it was a very good Friday indeed!

8 comments:

cshel said...

Looks like a great day and you got some great pictures!

aidanjordan said...

How fun! I think Sam braved those rides pretty well! I don't know if Shelby could have handled some of them- not if she has my motion sickness. Just the thought of the tilt-a-whirl...

Whitney & Charlie said...

What a fun day! We'll have to have our own "Good Friday" this week while you're here, or any day will do! Love the pictures.

Tara said...

Looks like so much fun. Some times a good splurge is so worth it. I just have to mention Tyler has on a shirt that my Martin has. Must have good taste! :-)

Henricksen Family said...

beautiful pictures! I wish I had your talent and your camera! which one do you have?

Lori Davis said...

I love your narration of the day. I am sitting here smiling so big in parts, laughing my head off in parts (Tyler taking control of the wheel and poor Sam just hanging on basically in a headlock), and just loving the whole thing! What a great day and what a perfect moment for you on the bench. Great pics of course too!

Angela said...

Hey Beckster! I love kiddie rides! In my old age that's about all I could handle. This last weekend we went to a water park and I swear I was sweatin it going down the kiddie slides. I just adore Sam's hair. He's got the perfect hair/eye combo!

Bella said...

Holy cow your boys are getting big and are so cute!!!!