Friday, June 13, 2008

Faith is Like a Little Seed

At the end of March, our primary had an activity day. It was Tyler's first activity day and he was so excited to go! He came home as happy as a clam, dirty, and with a pot of dirt. And apparently there were seeds in that dirt that were supposed to grow! So, we put the little pot in our window sill and Tyler made sure we took very good care of it so it would grow. (I found out later that they intentionally had the kids plant grass seed so it would be sure to grow...and grow fast!) All week Tyler would check it and say "I think it's growing!". I told him I thought it was too (hoping it really was, so it would not disappoint this kid!). So, we waited, watered, and checked on it every day.

(don't mind the grubby green fingers that got into some of my stamping ink...they were green for a good 3-4 days!)


And low and behold, in just one week, we had little green sprouts! It was so exciting. I think I was almost as excited as Tyler was (mostly because I've never been any good at making things grow!). So, I was relieved that Tyler got to see the fruits of his labors. So we kept watering it and checking on it...
And wouldn't you know, we pretty much had our own little lawn in that flower pot. It was really coming up! This picture was after about 3 weeks of care.

So we took good care of our lawn until a week or two ago, when the young man pictured below got careless and knocked it out of the window sill. What a mess! He was very sad, but got over it pretty quickly, thank goodness. And to be honest, I was a tad relieved since I didn't know what I was going to do with a pot full of grass growing like crazy in my window sill. Buying a lawn mower just wasn't an option! But we had fun while it lasted and I enjoyed watching Tyler learn this little lesson.

6 comments:

Challis said...

That's so sad...but so freakin cute. When my brother was about Tyler's age he spilled his "sea monkey" tank all over the carpet and was pretty devestated. He sat there and watched horrified as my mom vacuumed all 1,000 of them up off the floor (because you can't let brine shrimp die on your floor--it's tacky:) It was one of those moments when you want to cry because it's so sad, but you also kind of want to laugh because little boys are so endearing that way.

cshel said...

Sorry he lost his first little grass plant. There will be more as he ventures into preschool and other primary activities. :-)

I love the new picture on the top of your blog!!

Camille said...

Cute pictures again, as usual. Tyler is so cute and I'm glad he got his grass to grow. Isaac brought home a little 'garden' in an egg carton from kindergarten and nothing grew. It didn't seem to bother him though because apparantly none of the kids in his class got theirs to grow. I don't think it was the right kind of dirt. Oh, well.

Lexi said...

How sad! :-(
Good thinking for whoever thought of using grass seed to speed up the process. I like the lesson of faith being like a little seed and to watch it grow in action is such a wonderful lesson for kids.

If you ever want to go for snoballs, let me know- I'll go with you! I haven't tried Sal's yet.

kdance said...

Ha ha! I just read a funny typo. Tyler got "overy it" really quick? That's funny!

Becky T said...

Karin, typo is all fixed, phew!! I hate typos! :) And I laughed even harder because it took me a minute to realize why it was funny that it said "overy". Duh!