So, at nine months we've past that milestone where he's been out longer than he was in and he has also surpassed the 20 lb. mark. I can't believe he's nine months old!!
21 pounds, 5 ounces--56th percentile
27 3/4 inches--25th percentile
head 19 inches--off the chart!
9 months has brought a pretty independent, mobile baby, who can be very very attached to his mommy. He screamed bloody murder and cried inconsolably when a stranger spoke to him at a restaurant last week. I had to resort to taking him outside to calm him down. When he's in a familiar environment, though, he is a happy go lucky kind of kid. He's lost all interest in nursing, and I've pretty much lost mine as well, so we're recently done with that. It's a little sad, but not as much as I though it would be. The timing was right for both of us, I guess! What a silly boy he is! He is totally mobile, except for the crawling FORWARD part... He gets in position, rocks back and forth, and even stands up on his tip toes just ready to go, then he moves back and plops back down on his bottom and sits, or crawls backwards. He can get anywhere crawling backwards and rolling and sitting himself up, and he even attempts to pull himself up onto things, but he just hasn't gone forward yet. It's so funny. He loves getting into things and I know we're just at the beginning of that. Once he does go forward, it's going to be madness, I'm sure! He has two adorable teeth now, the second being much worse than the first to come in. What a happy chump! We sure love having him around.


And now let's talk about this hair. Where do I begin? Sam was born with a small birthmark on the side of his head that was about the size of a dime. Nothing major and I honestly didn't even notice it much and knew that his hair would eventually cover it up, therefore being the perfect spot for a little angel kiss like that. And for the first month, I thought it wasn't going to grow hair out of it at all. It just didn't look like it would. Again, not a big deal since the other hair would cover it eventually anyways. But THEN, it was like one day he woke up and it had all this thick black hair shooting out of it like crazy (when he was about 4-6 weeks old or so). It was wild! And since then, it has grown about 10 times as fast as his other hair. We have made jokes about it (poor Sam!) and said that it was his tribal mark, marking him a member of the Thalgott Tribe, and other things. And it is something that people notice right off the bat when looking at him. And I wasn't sure if it was better to let it grow or cut it, I wasn't sure which would look funnier. So for a while I let it grow, but the last two months or so, it has gotten out of hand, to say the least! It hung clear down past his ear and just looked so funny. And perhaps you've noticed it in pictures, or noticed it in person. And maybe you haven't. So if you haven't noticed it, here are a few to give you an idea of what it looked like:

Pretty silly, huh? So we figured our options on what to do with it were: a) curl it in a ringlet like an Orthodox Jew, b) braid it, c) put beads in it and a feather and start calling him Sammy Spotted Head, d) keep letting it grow, or e) chop it off. Clearly, the only real option was to cut it and I was just hoping that it wouldn't look sillier cut off than it did growing out. And luckily, it does look much better now. Although it's only been a week and a half, it's already growing like crazy--I may have to cut it once a week, who knows! And this is probably the spot where he'll be bald or gray when he's like 20 or something. So here's the finished product:
I must say, he does look SO much better! And I was surprised by how different he looked with just that little minor haircut.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
9 Months
I know this post is a bit late, but we couldn't get into the doctor until Monday and I wanted to include his stats. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
Haha! When Shelby went through her punk rocker phase and only had hair on half of her head, I should have done something about it. I was too scared I would make it worse though! Good for you for being brave! Although, seriously, I thought that hairstyle was quite fashionable of Sam. I mean, have you seen Christian from Project Runway?
I think Aliscea is in love with Sam!
I am suprised that Sam is only in 56% for weight he always looks so chunky to me. And that locke of hair is CRAZY!! Has his doctor said anything about it? I have never heard of such a thing, but I do wish we were there to help comment on it. :)
I just read the pirate Tylerisms to Matt and we laughed and laughed. Where in the world did he come up with "apply the brakes"? And what a smarty pants using the word "reliable." But Freakin Nielsen can really relate to "too much boogers." So freakin hilarious!!!
I am laughing so hard right now, that is the most hilarious thing, that little spot where the hair grows. Alli has a birth mark on her head as well, but nothing has grown anywhere close to it. He is so fun. It is cute how he goes backwards. It is fun when they start moving around. Alli is going through a phase where she wants to pull herself up onto everything, but she isn't very tough so I have to help her. Last night, while in her crib, she started to cry and scream, I ran in and she had pulled herself all the way up to the top and she didn't know what to do. I also felt nervous so I put her back in the pack and play.
Jordyn crawled backwards at first as well. We got her to start going forward by putting a cell phone (one of her favorite things to play with) in front of her, and that was motivation enough. She hasn't stopped since. I enjoyed the options for Sam's hair. I think I would have gone with the beads and feather personally.
I can't believe that he is 9 months old. He is so adorable. Your boys are the cutest and the pics that you take of them are amazing!!
Sam is SO cute! You've caught him smiling in all of his pictures. He looks like such a happy baby and you've become quite the photographer. How funny that his hair grows so fast on his birth mark.
Your boy is one funny little guy! I love the crawling backward, rolling to get what he wants. Before I read your hair write up I was thinking he has a nice head of hair coming in; but I was laughing out loud when I got to the comment about his tribal mark.
What a cutie! I can't believe how big he is and what a mommas boy. It's so fun to see them grow up and see their personalities. Marcus is a mommas boy too. Wish I could see you all in person! AND the hair/birthmark thing is hilarious! I'm sure you can whip out these pictures in about 16 yrs when his girl friend comes over and he'll just love you for it!
Happy 9 months to Little Sammy. Time is going by so fast. He is such a cutie. I am so glad you take all those pictures to share with us to keep us so up to date on our sweet little grandsons. He has such pretty eyes---and so does Tyler. Love and miss you. grandma t
Becky!! Oh my goodness - It looks like you guys are doing sooo good! And two??? I had no idea you had another beautiful little boy - Tyler is HUGE!!! Wow! And Sam is so adorable. Congratulations! I'm so glad you found me and now I have a way to see what you're up to - yea yea! loves - tasha
Post a Comment