Monday, June 9, 2008

Conversations with the Captain

Tyler went to a pirate themed birthday party two weeks ago for his friend Jackson. He came home with quite a bit of loot and has been donning this attire since then. He put it all on and came out to me and I said "Oh Tyler, I like your pirate costume." Then he said, "No, I'm not Tyler. I'm Captain Tyler. You must call me Captain Tyler. Will you please take my picture?" Um, okay (you'd think he'd hate getting his picture taken by now!)... So, he's been Captain Tyler quite a bit at our house since then. And as I am loving the things he says (usually!) every day, I figured it was time to document a few Tylerisms.
He woke up one morning and stumbled into our room, obviously barely awake. He was swatting at his eyes and was not saying anything yet. Then he finally said "My eyes are so smoky this morning. There's just so much smoke in my eyes." I guess he wasn't focusing very well yet that morning. I thought it was so funny that he thought there was smoke in his eyes!

After he zipped his pants up all by himself (something we've been working on lately...), he got excited and was very proud of himself. I told him he was getting so big and that it made me sad. He usually gets really mad when I say that it makes me sad, but this time he said "Oh, I'm so sorry. Next time I will try and remember to stay little."
With his hands on his hips (something he does when he wants to be taken seriously), he said "Mommy! Do you understand me? I really wanna watch a movie.".
At the dinner table: "Thank you for this dinner. This is the best dinner I ever had. You are a good cooker to make this dinner. Thank you for sharing with me." And then a few minutes later: "Daddy, did you remember to tell Mommy thank you for this dinner?"
I often tell stories about when I was little and one day he told me "When I was a little girl, I went to Grandma & Grandpa Andersen's house and they had chickens and I said 'bawk bawk'!" Yeah, random... :)
(I told him to be an angry pirate for his picture and he did for about a second and then started laughing and said 'no, I'm a happy pirate!')

"Thank you for helping me, Mommy. You're very reliable."

(here we have the Captain watching some morning TV in pajamas)

While we were driving through town: "Daddy! You must turn left. Apply the brakes!".

(you must lift your eye patch for ideal TV viewing...)

On a particularly gloomy day: "I'm just so sad. I have a rough life."

"Mommy, I'm not feeling well. I am getting sick. It must be from eating too much boogers."

His moods, his vocabulary, his personality just crack me up. What a kid! Until next time, enjoy these Tylerisms!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these last two blogs! Your boys just crack me up. I can't wait to see them in just a couple more days! I still can't believe I'm coming so soon. Happy birthday, Garrett and Happy anniversary you two. You two do great together. Love Mom A

Shay said...

I was totally laughing out loud at those Tylerisms! What a great kid! Its so good that you have a record of quotes like that.

aidanjordan said...

Hahaha! Although I will be sad when Shelby is no longer a baby, I can't wait to heay the things that come out of her mouth. I hope she is half as funny as Tyler!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Love it. I enjoyed the pics, but especially the Tyler-isms. He is absolutely hilariously cute. Thank you. I needed a good laugh.

Elicia said...

How fun! No wonder you love being a mom!! I love the pictures where his eye patch is covering half his nose :) What a character you have!

Kyle and Tiffany said...

He says the cutest things! I don't know how you ever stop laughing. What a kid.

Jeni said...

Oh, Becky! That was just too funny...that kid is a hoot!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping Aaron and I out. We owe you guys big time!

Heather said...

Seriously how on earth do you get such great pictures??? He is absolutley adorable! nice work.
Happy Anniversary! Wow you really do have a 3 day week end like us! :)

Ashley said...

Those were so hilarious, I was cracking up the whole time while reading the post. That is funny that he thought that he had smoke in his eyes and it is so sweet how he is appreciative of you and the things that you do. It is also cute how he said that he will stay little since he is getting big and it makes you sad. What a special little boy you have on your hands. He is so cute. I love the pirate attire as well and I love that he is a happy pirate and not a scary pirate.

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!!! Jim was just saying I should take a picture of him in i s "for real" eye patch and see what Tyler thought of "Captain Grandpa T". Wouldnt that be so funny. I bet Tyler would think it was really something if they could get together and wear their "patches". I love to hear the cute things that he says. Thank you so much for sharing. We love and miss you so much. I am so thankful for your blog. I am jealous that your mom is coming but I am sooo glad for you guys. Have a fabulous time. love momt

Shannon said...

I love the Tyler quotes. He is darling! I am so glad he uses his hat, eye patch and sword. You have a great little pirate! These items have been in constant use at our house as well ever since the party. Thanks for letting Tyler come to Jackson's party.

cshel said...

I love the Tylerisms....too funny. My favorite is about him remembering to stay little. They grow up way too fast, don't they?!