Friday, September 11, 2009

BYU vs. OU--Sept. 5, 2009

So, I'm skipping over a whoooole bunch of stuff for the time being because I want to blog this event while it's still fresh in my mind (and I'll be going back to the rest of my pictures soon). As you may have heard, BYU played a little football game in Dallas this past weekend...and we were there! Garrett got the idea back in April (or so) when it was announced that BYU would play in the new Cowboys Stadium against OU. When he mentioned it, I thought 'sure, why not? I love BYU football games and haven't been to one in ages', so we put in our request for tickets and made some plans to go. Garrett also talked his dad into making the trip. Then, the closer things got and I realized what a BIG game this was going to be for BYU, I started getting SO excited.

So, lucky us, Grandma & Grandpa T showed up Thursday night, we hit the road at 4 am Friday morning and arrived in Arlington at about 2:30 pm and hung out, hit the pool, and relaxed the rest of the afternoon. And then Saturday arrived. Game time was set for 6:30 pm and tailgating was to start earlier in the day. Things got more and more exciting as we were out around town and started seeing quite a few BYU shirts out and about. It was fun to see that people had poured in from all over the country to support BYU in this big game.
So, we headed to the game (Garrett, Jim, and I), found our seats in that massive stadium. Grandma and the boys headed back to the hotel for the evening. And I took note at that moment that I suddenly felt 'young' again. Like the 19 year old girl that married Garrett and lived in Wymount and walked to every single BYU home game for three years, and his dad often joined us for those games. So it was totally nostalgic (except we obviously weren't going to LaVell Edwards Stadium) to head over to the stadium, the three of us, and not have a child attached to me, a stroller to push, a diaper bag to carry, snacks packed, sippy cups filled, etc, etc. I didn't even take a purse or a camera bag (which I seem to have at least one of those items with me at times that I am away from my kids)! So, I was reaching for things I didn't have all night long, but I must say it felt GREAT--I felt so free! :) And I can't thank Sheila enough for watching the boys for us.
And as you all saw (since I know you all watched the game!), it could not have been a better game. I was hoping it was close, if nothing else...and it was close indeed with BYU on top in the end. Honestly, the best game ever. The excitement there was amazing! So, here are some pictures of our big day (remember, I didn't take my camera, so these are all courtesy of our little point & shoot, so pardon the quality!).


The stadium really is enormous--just like everything everybody has been saying about it!

And the HD LCD screen--words can't even describe it. It was amazing...crystal clear. And here are the happy Sooner fans, before the game!

I'm not sure how I'd feel knowing my face was taking up the entire screen on a screen of that size. It was crazy to see every detail on the quarterback's face before the play.

And, it's a huge upset we'll never forget!!







I've had a lot of people ask me if there were a lot of BYU fans there. This is a picture I took after all the OU fans had filed out of there and it seemed like most BYU folks were still around. So, this is who was there. We were told that BYU told 20,000 tickets and then some people purchased after that through the Cowboys office...so I guess there were over 20,000 people or so. Not too shabby, if you ask me. Considering OU fans were driving a couple hours maybe but most BYU fans were flying in or driving a looong ways. It was awesome to be amongst BYU fans again!

And now we are feeling totally spoiled that BYU is coming to town tomorrow to play Tulane. We get to see them again! Two weeks in a row, after having gone 6 years without going to a game! It's a great time to be a Cougar!

11 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

I love college football, especially when it is a good game. How fun for you guys to get to go, and even better that BYU won!!

mccready's said...

That's so cool. I'm happy that you were able to go to the game - that the grandparents decided to head down so that you were able to enjoy. How fun!!

Lori Davis said...

I am so glad you had fun! We were looking for you as we watched the game on ESPN. I am loving that you went sans children too and relived the day! Go Cougs! (I know that I am not BYU alum, but I was definately rising and shouting for this game!)

Anonymous said...

As they say OH MY GOSH!!!! I have to admit that when we were visiting you in April and Garrett talked to us about going to the game I was thinking it was sort of crazy to go there when they were playing in your home town the next weekend. But I thought Jim should still totally go. Life is short!! But in the back of my mind I was worrying that you may have to evacuate like last year at the same time due to hurricaine season. But when it got closer and closer and Jim made plans to travel to Dallas from NOLA with you guys I decided I should make the trip too. At least I could be with you all. I am sooo glad we came. We made lots and lots of great memories even though it was a very short trip---too short but we are just glad we got to go. Jim absolutely loved it and watched some of it on tv again tonight. Hillary asked him if it made him excited all over again to see it and he said it really did. I was glad I was able to watch Tyler and little Sammy so you all could go and have such a great time. You dont get opportunities like that very often. And I love my shirt---even though I didnt go to the game I was still there!!! I wore it here the other day and somebody asked me if I got it before or after the "big game". When I told him I got it there the day of the game he couldn't believe it!!!! It was funny. Anyway, thanks for inviting us. It was so fun. Have fun tomorrow. We will be looking for you!! love grandma T Go Cougars!!!

Melissa said...

Have fun at the Tulane game!! We'll be watching for you guys in the crowd!

Lexi said...

I didn't know you guys had made it over here! I'm sad we missed you. I was really looking forward to some Becky-pictures! :-( Maybe next time! But at the very least it was a great game, right?

The Nielsen Family said...

These are GREAT pictures. Matt forgot his camera so it is great to see some shots of being there at the game. I am so jealous that Matt got to see you guys and the boys. He said they were so cute and handsome. Someday, I will be able to meet that little Sammy too. We are watching the Tulane game right now and it looks like we are rocking it!! How super awesome you get to be there 2 games in a row. It's almost like you are season ticket holders again!!

aidanjordan said...

I hate that we swapped places that weekend and completely missed each other! So glad you made it over here and got to go to the game though!

Alan & Amber said...

Did you happen to get any pictures of Oklahoma fans sulking in misery? I have some space on my office wall that I need to take up and nothing would cheer me up each day like looking at OU fans after a loss.

- Alan

Becky T said...

Alan, I'm sorry to say that I did not get any pictures of OU fans after the game. They busted out of there pretty quickly, while BYU folk stuck around a while.

But I must say, the OU fans were about the nicest football fans I've come across. Many people have been shocked to hear that, so it must not be the case all the time apparently. But everyone we saw after the game (on their way out, on the shuttle to the hotel, on the elevator, at breakfast the next morning,etc.), would all make a point to say that it was a great game and that BYU played great, etc. They were very nice. And I wasn't sure how they'd be acting since "we" injured their Heisman QB, but they didn't act at all bad about that and didn't seem to attribute their loss to that fact either. Anyhow, that probably comes as a surprise, but they were actually very decent to us while we were there...

Jo Ann Anderson said...

Too fun Becky!!! I guess I should have gotten smart and insist that Monte take me with him. He went down with his Dad and brother and is still on a high from seeing the "best game in years in real life". I can't believe you didn't run into each other! Glad you had a great time and go Cougs!!!