Monday, February 27, 2012

Alligator Stomp, Sept. 24, 2011

In August of last year, I pretty much decided that I wanted to run a half marathon in the Fall. So, I signed up for one at the end of October and started training (more on that later!). And in the training schedule, it suggested running a 5k about 5 weeks into the training. So, I got looking for a 5k to run and found the Alligator Stomp in Luling on September 24. And as a bonus, they also had a 1/2 mile kids run. I saw that and thought this might be something my boys would really like to do. So, I asked them if they wanted to and without hesitation, they both said 'sign me up!'. I was actually surprised at how excited they were about it! They talked about it non stop for the few weeks leading up to it. We ran a little bit to practice, but not all that much, and when it came down to it, I think I almost got nervous for them. Silly, I know! But I just didn't know if Sam would handle running all by himself if Tyler got ahead and all that stuff. I'm a mom, what can I say?!
But September 24 arrived and we got to the park, got checked in, and the boys didn't seem to be nervous at all. There were probably about 20 kids total running it and they said the parents could run with them, but I really wanted to take pictures and I had already told them I wouldn't run with them and they were okay with that, so I let them go at it...alone!


And they're off!
I love this picture of Tyler because of his face of determination. I was actually quite impressed with him, if I do say so myself. All along, Sam has seemed to be the one who enjoys running more and comes by it a little more naturally. Sam tends to pace himself better and when we ran in practice, Tyler seemed to do a lot of sprint, then walk, type of running--he seemed to have trouble pacing himself (as I think most kids do). But when we got there, he was so determined and just left the starting line and got going and was definitely 'in the zone'. Love him!
And of course, let's not forget about Sam! I think Sam was born to run (don't know where he gets that, because I know it's not from me or Garrett!!). He loves to run and seems to be able to do it for a long time. But of course, his tongue has to be positioned just right, as you can see!
Pretty soon, they were out of sight and we waited for a couple of minutes until they his the turn around and we could spot them on the home stretch. We realized that Tyler was actually making pretty decent time! And that he was also ahead of Sam, but Sam wasn't too far behind him!
Go Tyler!
After Tyler finished, Sam wasn't too far back.
And there he is! Just a bit before the finish line! And I cracked up because he hit the finish line and just kept running. He didn't realize he was supposed to stop. He just kept running all the way down the hill and I had to go catch him before he got away. Ha ha! But seriously, I was so proud of my boys!
And after their finish, it was time for me to start. Let's just say...going into it I thought "oh, a 5k, that will be so easy!" because I had been running so much. I thought I could really knock it out of the park and beat my previous time, etc. BUT then one week before the race, I caught strep throat and it literally knocked me out for 5 days. I haven't been that sick in forever! I forgot how bad strep is! It was terrible. So I finally started feeling better Thursday and tried running a little bit to get ready and I realized just how much strength was taken out of me being sick that whole week. It was HARD! So, this "easy" 5k ended up being much harder than I thought and I felt like I dragged myself across the finish line. It was hot, I was weak, and I just couldn't wait to be done. But all that aside, it's always a great feeling to cross the finish line!
Shortly after we finished, they started announcing that they were going to award prizes to the winners in the age categories...even for the kids. I knew that obviously, even on a great day, I wouldn't ever in a million years be in contention for a prize, but the boys just might! So we checked and sure enough, they each took first in their age divisions! What a pleasant surprise! The picture above is Tyler being awarded his prize. His time was 5:15, 1st place for ages 5-6, 7th place overall.
And here's Sam, so proud of himself! His time was 5:48, 1st place for ages 4 & under, 8th place overall. They each got a towel as a prize and unbeknownst to us, the race was being held in conjunction with the Alligator Festival so they also won wristbands to the rides for the festival. What a great prize!! They were thrilled! So, we hung out for a little while, ate some great festival food and rode some rides.
Such a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh those are such cute pictures. We were so excited for them. I know I am happy to cross the finish line!!! Way to go guys!!!

Love grandma t

Doug, Marilee & Co. said...

Ok that looks soooo fun! I wish they had something like that here! I just love Sam's tongue hanging out! I can't even imagine running with my tongue hanging out!!