Wednesday, December 21, 2011

End of Year Events

With all of the things that May brought, it also brought the end of the school year. As the school year approached, I started to get very sad. I absolutely loved Tyler's kindergarten program and his teachers and everything about it. I couldn't have imagined him being at a better place. But the sad part about it was that the program ends at kindergarten so we had to start looking into other schools. And to make a long story short, that came with a lot of stress and it made me so sad. I just wanted him to stay at Parkway! Parkway was perfect! But amidst it all, we still enjoyed some of the events that came at the end of the year. First off was the big field trip to the Destrehan Plantation. I was able to fine someone to watch Sam so I could drive and chaperone. I hadn't been able to spend a whole ton of time in Tyler's classroom throughout the year, so this was a fun opportunity for me to watch him with his class. The plantation was beautiful too. We learned a lot about life back then and I admired anybody who could live in the South and wear a big huge dress and cook all day...all without a bit of air conditioning. The thought of it makes me nauseous. Blech!

Our tour guide was wonderful. She used to be a kindergarten teacher herself, so of course she was fabulous with the kids!


She was demonstrating how they put the candles out every night.

The outhouse...another thing I can't imagine!


This was Tyler's favorite part. They were able to shell the corn and make cornmeal. They used the old contraption to do it and ground it by hand.



Tyler also took the laundry washing very seriously, apparently!
We had a good time and I was glad I had the chance to go with him!
Next up on the events list was his motor development program. Since his school also had a pre-school, they had a little motor development program that they went to once a week. It's kind of like a PE program for really young kids. They would work on a specific skill each time, like jumping and bouncing a ball, etc. So at the end of the year, the kindergarten put on a "circus" and performed their skills. The boys were all part of a basketball team and the girls were the cheerleaders and they put on a cute little production. I actually do think this little program helped Tyler a lot with his coordination. He wasn't born with a lot of it and so he's had to learn it as he goes and he has improved so much this last year and a half!



I just loved his cute little class!


The best brothers in the whole world!
And with these events out of the way, that can only mean one thing was left--graduation!!

No comments: