Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Round & Fat...

So, last week we were just a few days shy of Halloween day and we still hadn't gone and picked out a pumpkin. The past three years, we have faithfully attended Pumpkin Festival at Red Bluff Farm, but due to sickness and hectic schedules, we didn't make it there this year. So, instead I took the boys on a morning last week to a local pumpkin "patch". And I use the term "patch" very loosely. You see, when you are in the city, there aren't exactly a lot of true pumpkin patches close at hand, so this was more like a Pumpkin Parking Lot. A local church fills their entire parking lot with rows and rows of pumpkins during the month of October. And this year, it had to suffice as our trip to the "patch".
So, here we have some pictures of our pumpkin selection process for the year. And I'm going to tell myself that they purposely left out the second 'P' in pumpkin in the sign above just so I feel better about it. I mean, it had to have been on purpose, right?
So after our obligatory 'sit by the pumpkins and look as happy as possible' photos, we had to get to work. And I have no explanation for the faces Tyler pulls for pictures anymore. Absolutely none. I have no idea what's going on there.

So of course Tyler insisted that he had to pull the wagon. And in turn, Sam also insisted that he had to sit in it. And off we went.


But wait! Tyler, your precious cargo is escaping!
And escape he did, and was thrilled to do so! So then we played around for a little while longer...

Until we finally got to the task at hand and worked on finding that perfect pumpkin for a Halloween jack-o-lantern.

So amidst the rows and rows of pumpkins...
we finally found some acceptable to take home. And Tyler insisted that he could pick them up and put them in all by himself. (which he couldn't on all of them...he had to have a little assistance!) But he did work his hardest on getting them into the wagon, though.

And with a wagon FULL of pumpkins, Sam decided it was his turn to pull the wagon. Which he did surprisingly well, actually.
And with 4 perfect pumpkins, and a big thumbs up for approval, we headed to the car (after paying for the darned expensive things, of course!) and took them home to be carved. Stay tuned...more to come! The carving got pretty serious this year!

6 comments:

The Nielsen Family said...

Wow, your colors came out looking so crisp and nice in these pictures. No matter if it was a real patch or not, you were still able to grab some great shots and that's all that really matters, right?

mccready's said...

... turn into a jack-o-lantern just like THAT! Nice!

Becky T said...

Oh yes, Katy! That has pretty much been our theme song this month. The boys love it!

Ashley said...

That is so funny, that was my favorite thing about living in Oklahoma, reading the signs, there was a gas station that always spelled everything wrong.

I love your pictures.

cshel said...

What great pictures!! I love your pumpkins shots.

breanna said...

SOOO glad you finally looked my blog up because now i have yours!!! definitely the SAME LAME pumpkin "patch" but your pictures made it look WAY more awesome than it really was!!