Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fresh from the Field, take 2

So, since we had such a great time picking fresh strawberries in April, I knew that there was no way we could miss out on blueberry season this year. I have become a little bit obsessed with fresh produce. It just tastes so good and I love challenging myself to use it in lots of different ways. The only problem with blueberry season is that it is smack dab in the middle of June and it is HOT! But I figure an afternoon spent sweating would be good for us all and well worth it!

So, on June 26, we headed North once again and found the bushes heavy with berries and went to work filling up our buckets. Here are a "few" pictures of our outing!

And just like the strawberries, for every berry that went in the bucket, two went in the mouth. Eating them right out of the field--delicious!

And Sam is becoming very funny when he is proud of something he is doing...he always comes to me and says "mom, take a picture of this", so our blueberry day was full of photo requests. I have a million pictures just like this one above since he insisted on a picture of every berry he picked!

And Garrett joined us...and was taking the UV rays seriously my friends. He insisted on the hat, the glasses, and sunscreen. And then we ended up being in the shady end of the field!


Really, those branches were LOADED with gorgeous berries!


And in case you didn't notice, the boys were sweating to death. It was HOT, HOT, HOT!



Of course after a little while, the boys started losing interest in picking berries and were happier to be goofing around and eating them faster than we could pick them. They started sticking berries underneath their top lip and then smiling and they thought it was absolutely Hi.Larious! I can't look at this picture without laughing because I can hear them giggling.

Inspecting the berries very carefully...

Boy, do I love these boys!

So with 3 full gallons of berries, we headed home--but not without picking up an ice cream maker on the way. So that was the first thing we made...homemade blueberry cheesecake ice cream. And it was positively delicious! We froze the rest and have used them in just about everything--I've loved having them on hand. They have been great for smoothies, pies, ice cream, and snacking to name a few. I'll be sad when they are all gone!

5 comments:

Scott, Aimee, & Emily said...

Yep- Your blueberries were very yummy! And they can still be healthy once you turn them into your great blueberry cheesecake ice cream.. right? Thanks for sharing. I am so sad we missed going picking this year.

Hillary said...

Oh yummy! I am laughing at those cute boys. Sure love them!

DustLinz Anderson Family said...

Yum, fresh berries are the best...I miss you so much! Sam looks so much older in these pictures. Hope all is well!!

Judy said...

You're obviously not missing the Idaho huckleberries, not with those perfect looking blueberries!!! Blueberry pie is my favorite! But that ice cream sounds wonderful! You're so lucky; any idea how much blueberries cost in the stores here in I.F.?!!! (Oh, and just think of all the antioxidants you're getting!)

cshel said...

Oh my goodness....that ice cream sounds divine!!