Friday, July 24, 2009

Idaho Adventures, Part 1: The Ice Caves

All right, be prepared for picture overload in my next few posts while I blog about our trip...

So to start things off...we got to Idaho on a Monday afternoon and spent the first few days hanging out at our parents' houses and relaxing. And then on Thursday July 2, we packed up and headed to Bear Lake with Garrett's family to camp for the 4th of July weekend. (I suppose we can consider it the 1st annual Thalgott Family Reunion???) We camped in the Paris Springs Campground which is just up the road from Garrett's grandma's house, so we had the convenience of a house with flushing toilets and running water just five miles away! So we got there Thursday afternoon and got camp set up with just enough time to visit the ice caves before we had to get dinner started. So a few folks headed out on the 4 wheelers and the rest of us headed out in the trucks, but we made it...
And then we ventured into the ice cave...it was cold!




And from the looks of Tyler's eyes in the picture above, there must have been a really big ghost in there! He and Cash are sporting their new flashlights, courtesy of Grandma T.
And yes, there really was snow in there...in July. Crazy! And it made for a lot of nice MUD...
Cash & Todd thought they needed to show us all up and find the hard way out:
But the rest of us decided to go out the way we went in:

And while the rest of us were in the cave, Grandma & Grandpa were out entertaining Sam, since he was an accident waiting to happen in the cave. And entertaining him pretty much meant giving him lots of 4 wheeler rides!


And let me take a moment to explain Sam's beautiful outfit to you...our campsite was right next to a creek and you had to walk across a bridge to get from the cars to the camp. So we had been there for all of about 5 minutes and we were unloading and setting up all of our stuff, when I heard a big splash, a big cry, and Tyler yelling for me--and I found Sam in the creek! He had taken a plunge off the bridge right into the freezing cold water. He was pretty shell shocked and cold, but luckily he wasn't hurt. But it also meant that the only clothing options were a pair of sweats and a pair of little red flip flops! His only close toed shoes were now sopping wet. But he didn't seem too phased by the whole thing and two minutes later, he was back on that bridge throwing rocks. Go figure!
And our little lefty was in heaven with all of the rocks to throw. Serious heaven, he loved it!


And that's a wrap of our ice cave adventure...and what an adventure it was! It was so fun to be up in the mountains again. I loved it! And then we headed back to camp. To be continued...

8 comments:

mccready's said...

Ahh... to be cold in July. How lovely. And poor Sam! Some day we'll have to swap stories about seeing our children in water while nobody was watching! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh---I love the pictures and reading the posts. I loved the whole thing. I have to say that I thought our first Thalgott reunion turned out fabulous---one adventure after another!!! I just wonder how families with more than two get them all together!!! Jim and I loved it. I am so glad you guys could come out. I am looking forward to the rest of the adventures. Too bad Garrett didnt have the camera when they went on the big 4 wheeler ride with 6' snow drifts and Garrett in is Lousiana attire----shorts. I was actually surprised to see him in long pants at all. Too bad we didnt get a picture of little Sammy in the creek----oh wait Sammy before we rescue you---we need a picture!!!! I loved Tylers reinactment. Love and miss you guys sooooo much. dad and mom t

aidanjordan said...

Oh my gosh, so glad he is ok! I can't imagine how long your heart stopped when you realized he was in the water. Funny how they forget that things are dangerous and go back for more, huh?

Shay said...

How fun! I miss Idaho. I'm so gald you guys all got to be together!

Sylwia said...

awesome pictures, as always!

Lori Davis said...

I love these pics of your boys in action... they are SO cute! I am glad you had a fun trip and a good time camping. We went to the ward campout for an hour this weekend... I wasn't sad to get home! :)

Kyle and Tiffany said...

I was way behind on your blog! It was fun to catch up. I truly love looking at all of the picture you take. You have a wonderful talent. It was fun to see you at the class reunion. Thanks for all of your hard work.

The Nielsen Family said...

Oh how Matt wanted a lefty. He will be jealous. Such cute pictures. And what a scare to have Sam fall in the creek, good thing it wasn't deep and fast. Camping is hard with little ones, but oh so fun.