Friday, March 20, 2009

Our Little Patient...

...was happy as can be prior to the procedure. He thought being at the hospital was really pretty cool...because you can watch TV in bed. Does it get much better?


But waking up from the procedure was not such a happy deal. Lots of sadness here. He was so irritated to have the IV in his hand and was clearly pretty loopy from it all. He just kept asking to go home and wondering why he still had that dang thing in his hand!


And unfortunately, the hugs from Sam only made matters worse. :( This was the rough part.

BUT we made it home and have rested up and things are looking pretty good. It was nothing a trip to Redbox for a movie,a few new Speed Racer cars, a new GREEN Thomas pillow, several board games, some pudding, some yogurt, some mashed potatoes, some popsicles, and some ice cream couldn't fix I guess!

We are all just needing a good long night's sleep, it was a pretty exhausting day. Leaving for the hospital at 5:30 am is not my idea of a fun start! But we survived and are so glad to have it over with. I've been asked if I got emotional or how I handled it and what not, but truthfully I did GREAT. Honestly, the entire time we were at Children's Hospital I was feeling so so so blessed. Being at a Children's Hospital is an incredibly humbling experience. When you can be there for an outpatient procedure, you can't help but feel blessed that that's all you're there for. You really see the saddest of the sad. I am so glad we have healthy kids. And my mind flashed to the two other visits we have had to Children's and the things we were contemplating at the time--one for Sam's head x-ray to see if he had scaphocephaly which would have required surgery to reshape his skull, and the other visit when Tyler was sick in October when we weren't sure what was wrong and weren't sure if he was going to have some sort of abdominal surgery. Soooo, I couldn't help but feel that this was pretty low key and that we have been incredibly blessed. Thank you for all your well wishes and thoughts and prayers today. We are all happy to be on the mend!

15 comments:

Ashley said...

I am glad that things turned out so well for you guys. You are such great parents and it sounds like you had plenty of treats to help the recovery process. That was my favorite part of being sick, the popsicles and treats that my dad would get for me. Reading your post made me homesick for that.

The Nielsen Family said...

I am so glad that things went well. I loved the picture of Sam giving hugs even though they weren't well received. We too felt blessed when we recently went to the hospital. As we were sitting in the ER there were at least two little kids that came in there that had cronic issues and these moms have been making late night frenzied trips to the ER for years.

Tamara said...

I know this is a "standard" procedure, done all the time, blah blah blah, but I know seeing your baby in a hospital no matter how minor the situation is no fun at all! I'm so glad he's doing well. I think the pictures of the 2 boys on the hospital bed are the cutest things in the world! I hope you are all getting sleep and that this surgery fixes all the problems you've been dealing with.

Jeni said...

Poor little buddy...at least he'll be more healthy in the long run.

Kyle and Tiffany said...

What a brave little man. I'm so glad that things went well, that you all survived, and that now it's all over with. Tyler's 4-year pictures are super cute.

aidanjordan said...

We hope Tyler is feeling 100% better soon! Although, if I got to watch TV in bed and eat popsicles and mashed potatoes all day, I think I might stay sick a few extra days!

Henricksen Family said...

congrats on a successful procedure! I just watched an Oprah episode about surgeries. I hope Tyler is feel great! Sam is so funny and cute in those pictures.

cshel said...

Hey Becky - glad things went well for your little guy. That first post procedure picture just breaks my heart though - he looks so dejected. :-(

Sam is so cute giving Tyler a hug, even if it wasn't a hit.

Glad you are home recuperating with your boys....I'm sure he'll be back to his green-loving self in no time!

Lexi said...

Awww- he looks so glum in some of those pictures poor little guy! I'm glad everything went well and that he's recovering A-OK. I have to agree with you about being grateful for healthy kids- it's sad to see kids who have to basically live in the hospital :-(
Love the green pillow! And the picture of Sam loving on Tyler is cute even if Tyler wasn't feeling up to it. Little brother buddies- so cute.

mccready's said...

Those darn IV's. I hate them too! We missed him in primary on Sunday - things just didn't seem the same without him! Hope he's feeling better soon...

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

How can a post be so sad & so cute at the same time? I'm glad your little guy is ok though.

Michelle Lake said...

Glad to hear that he's home and recovering. We love you guys.

Jason and Teresa said...

Wow you are such a great photographer. you inspire me.I need to take more pictures. Good to see you guys are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Glad to here the T-Meister is doing well. I think he will feel much better in the long haul. we love you guys. Give T a hug for me.

Love, Dad

Lori Davis said...

So I have not been able to check blogs for a week or so and then I check and I see little Tyler in a hospital bed! I am so sorry you had to go through that and I am so glad it all went well!! It is so hard even if it is a common procedure! We love you guys!!