Last Saturday I had been gone for the first half of the day. The boys were home with Garrett and I had rather enjoyed a little time for myself, what mother doesn't, right? I pulled up to our place to find this scene. Tyler had been "helping" Garrett work on his pick up while Sam was upstairs taking a nap. Tyler was still in his pajamas, hair unkempt, teeth not brushed--all evidence that he'd spent the morning with his dad! His hands were grimy from all that helping he'd been doing prior to my arrival.
But by the time I arrived, his attention had gone from the pick up to the dandelions. He was searching to find the best of the best and had quite a collection going. When I got out of my car, he ran up to me and was so excited to show me his treasures. But these treasures were not to be for him, they were all for me. And they weren't just dandelions (in fact Tyler hadn't ever heard them called dandelions before), they were the most beautiful flowers this little boy had ever laid eyes on.
"Mom! Look! I picked these flowers for you. Because if I give you lots of flowers, you could marry me. See, these flowers are just beautiful. And flowers means I love you and we can get married. We can get married, right?"I paused. I truly wasn't sure how to answer this question. Do I just say yes because it doesn't really matter that I'd be lying just a tad and I can't bare to break a boy's heart right now? I've never been a heartbreaker, you know. :)
But before I even had a chance to come up with a good answer, he says "but wait, are you already married?"
Me: "Yep, I am married to Daddy."
Tyler: "Oh. Hmmm. I guess later I will just have to ask Daddy if I can marry you instead. If he says no, maybe I could just be your boyfriend."
Me: (thinking this might possibly be the sweetest conversation I've ever had) "OK, that sounds like a great idea."
And then he went on his merry way picking dandelions and proudly handing them to me, each one a little more beautiful and perfect than the one he'd picked before. Before we knew it, we had a gorgeous little bouquet put together.
And then our mission was to head inside and find a cup and put them in some water. Because these flowers had to last forever, you know. They proudly sat in their plastic cup vase on my entertainment center for the rest of the day and even much of the next day, until it was clearly time to throw them out. But have no fear, I have received a beautiful flower every time we have left the house since then.
The following day, Tyler was standing next to me while I was getting a game ready for us to play. He was intently watching me and what I was doing when he said, "oh, I have to go ask Dad something. I'll be right back."I thought nothing of it and continued the task at hand when Tyler came walking back up to me and said, "I just asked Dad if I could marry you and he said I could as long as I remember to bring you lots and lots of flowers."
Then I said "Oh really?! So, Daddy doesn't want to be married to me anymore???"
And he says "No, we'll just both be married to you!"
OK, I wasn't going to argue at this point since it seemed to me that he'd put together a pretty logical solution (for a 4-year old mind that is), and he was clearly quite pleased with himself.
And then he added "And we could even get you one of those beautiful married dresses from that store I saw on TV. It could be SO nice."
I know this story has probably unfolded several times to many moms of boys out there, but it has really struck something with me. I've wanted, on many occasions, to just bottle up that boyhood innocence and sweetness and save it forever. Because CLEARLY this boy isn't really going to want to marry his mom when it comes down to it. I mean, he may not even think his mom is even remotely cool in another 10 years.
So, why can't I somehow just keep him like this forever--where I'm the woman of his dreams?! It just doesn't seem fair that he'll have to grow up, marry someone else, and not need me anymore! I have also wondered why this little dandelion experience has melted my heart quite like it has and why I almost get teary thinking about it. I suppose it is probably to help me be a little more patient with him, a little more fun, a little bit kinder--since that is the kind of girl I would want him to marry.
And I also think this was probably meant to give me a new set of eyes. Eyes that don't see dandelions as weeds, but as the most lovely flowers I've ever laid eyes on--flowers that hold promises of the future and hold the innocence of boyhood. Pretty much my all time favorite flower now.





15 comments:
What a great post. Little boys are so sensitive sometimes. However, I don't think they ever fully quit needing their mommies.
Now why ya' gotta' go and get me all teary? That was SUCH a sweet post - thanks for sharing!
What a sweetheart!
So incredibly sweet!! Tyler is a gem!!
This is one of my all time favorite posts. I hope so much that we can capture and maintain these moments perfectly, the words, thoughts, emotions, etc. Sadly, we probably won't be able to, but thank goodness for blogs so we can do our best.
P.S. Tyler could turn out to be like Matt and never stop wanting or needing his Mommy.
Thanks for sharing, Becky. You do such a great job at capturing the moment. I think it is the sweet moments like these that keep us going when we are in need of a little mommy time!
I think dandelions would become a favorite flower for me too after getting some just like that! And that is so cute how he was willing to compromise if Daddy said that he couldn't marry you- he'd just be your boyfriend instead! And what a cute boyfriend to have too! :-)
SO cute. My little Sam is such a sweet guy. During a t-ball game last year, he came from outfield to bring my a flower. I was like, thanks, but bud you need to go back and play ball. I too wish I could bottle up his sweetness and dread days ahead when I may not be the person he wants to snuggle up to at night...:(
Oh little boys! You're such a great mom! I'm not sure I ever appreciated the dandelions like that, I was always too worried about getting the sticky stuff all over the clothes. What a lot I missed out on by being that way. However, I love it when Carter still says, "Good night, I love you! or Good-bye, I love you." He'll even say that in front of his friends sometimes. I never had a son do that before and it means the world to me now. I don't know how long it will last, so I treasure it each time he does it. I'm glad you're taking the time to smell the roses.(I mean, dandelions) Love, Mom A
OK, how sweet is that little boy of yours. I love your run down of your conversation. :-)
Those dandelions have had a home in my house. Lauren gets VERY upset every time the Scott's man comes to PREVENT them from growing in OUR yard, so we have to go to the park to get them! LOL
Enjoy these years....they go by way too fast.
They are so sweet aren't they? The nice thing about dandelions is that even if we have to throw them out, we know we will get another bouquet soon enough, right? Kids (when they are being nice) sure do bring a little piece of heaven into our homes don't they?
That just made my heart melt. That was so sweet. It makes me want my boys to stay little and sweet, too.
Wow. I loved reading this post. We miss you guys and I can just hear Tyler convincing his girlfriend when he's 22 that it's ok if he's already married to his mom.
Love ya lots.
Oh, goodnes! How you make me cry. Eeekk! There is something about little boys...and I think you are right about the whole story, especially about who you want them to marry (I worry about that). Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment