So, the story goes...a couple weeks ago our day was just run of the mill, oh so typical. Sam had just awoke from a nap and I was finishing up an email at the computer. The boys were both playing in the living room and Sam walked over to me and picked up the phone off the desk while I was typing away. I didn't think a lot of it...he plays with the phone all the time. We usually let him play with it for a minute and then go get it from him after you hear "your call cannot be completed as dialed..." coming form the ear piece.
So, this day was no different. A few minutes later, I heard the whole little "your call cannot be completed..." lady talking in the ear piece. I picked it up, turned it off and thought nothing of the matter. I switched the batches of laundry, did a few other things, went about the day. Then there was a knock on the door.
Sweet! We had been expecting a package from UPS, so sure enough, it was here. I went racing down the stairs since I have to be fast to catch Mr. UPS man since he usually assumes that no one is home and just leaves a notice (which is very frustrating!). I fly down the stairs, Tyler right on my heels, and fling open the door.
And Mr. UPS man was not Mr. UPS man. It was a female police officer. Surprised doesn't even cut it.Her: "Hi. We received a 911 call from your location. I was coming to check things out and see if everything was all right."
Me: "Uhhhhh...."
Her: "Ma'am, is there a small child in the house?"
Me: (looking up the stairs directly at small child which I was quite sure she was referring to) "Yes, there is, as a matter of fact."
Her: "They did report that it sounded like a small child on the end of the line."
Me: "Oh yeah, I guess he must have gotten a hold of the phone (well, of course I knew he had been playing with the phone earlier, but I wasn't about to flat out admit that I let him play with it!). I'm sorry. Oh, wow, um, I'm sorry, wow. Um, geez. Everything's ok. I'm sorry."
Her: "Ok, then. I guess I'll go then."
Me: "Ok, I'm sorry. Um, this is embarrassing, wow. I'm sorry."
No good bye, nothing...she went and got in her car. Holy cow, I was so embarrassed and had NO idea that an officer would actually show up at my door if my kid called 911 on accident. I always thought they called back first to check. But no, apparently, they come over and knock on the door. And good grief, I had NO idea Sam was so stinkin' smart that he could call 911 all by his very own self!
So in the midst of it all, Tyler was standing right behind me watching the police officer, wondering what in the world was going on. After she left and we went upstairs and I told Sam he was never ever ever to touch the phone again in his life (which he listened to and has been incredibly obedient about, as I'm sure you can imagine...ha!), I started fielding all of Tyler's questions.
Since he is 4 now and a pretty smart kid, if I do say so myself, I figured we could have a little "when to call 911" discussion. So, I told him that if Mommy got hurt really bad or if someone bad was in our house, we could pick up the phone and dial 911. He was really taking it all in and I felt like he had a pretty good grasp on it. You know, one of those "I am a really good mother for grasping these teaching opportunities" moments (you have to build yourself up a bit after you get in trouble for letting your other child play with the phone, you know).
So after we talked a bit, I gave him the little pop quiz. I said "Now Tyler, when do we call 911?". And he responds as such: "When mommy is hurt or if there is a bad guy in our house..." pause, and then his eyes get huge and about pop out of his head and he says "OR when there's a BUG IN OUR HOUSE!!".
Watch out, world. My kids are smart. Together, hand in hand, they'll be conquering the world in no time.





17 comments:
When there's a bug in our house. LOL So cute.
Yeah, when we were visiting Lori, the girls managed to call 911. Had a nice visit from a cop. Fun stuff having kids. :-)
I am so glad someone else's "small child" calls 9-1-1 too! Luckily the cops just called me and didn't visit! I'm so sorry. At least it made for a good blog post (would've like a pic of you and the police man though! ;) )
TROUBLE, that Sammy!
Oh my gosh Becky. That is definitely one you'll have to tell Sam when his future fiance is over! I can't believe that!
I'm surprised she didn't ask to come in just to be sure that there wasn't a bad man in the house. Guess I've watched too many scary movies, huh?! It sounds like from the way the officer acted that it happens all the time- in which case, why don't they call back first?!
Glad everything was ok for real. Good grief- what a surprise {and not the fun UPS package kind}!
I am just waiting for one of my kids to do that!! I would have acted the same way- wow, geeze, sorry!! Your kids are too fun!
too funny! i hate to say it but camdyn has called 911 and the cops came to our door...not once but twice! where is her mother?!
Well, it might not be a good idea for Shelby and Tyler to play together from now on. Shelby's new favorite thing to say is, "Ew, bug...GROSS!", even when there isn't a bug. I can picture her saying it, then Tyler running to the phone to dial 911 to save everyone in the house from the bug.
Hahahahahahaha! Well, at least you know the Kenner cops are reliable, right?
That. Is. Funny.
I'm always afraid Calyn will hold down the "9" key on my cell phone. I better lock it from now on:)
I guess they don't call back just in case there is an intruder. They wouldn't want to tip them off that they're on their way. Plus, if they did call back and you (quite possibly an intruder)said everything is fine, and they didn't come over, you would be without help.
I think I've seen to many movies too.
How funny. Ella has done that twice! It was SO embarassing. They officer kept asking if everything truly was okay...lol!
I love the pictures you post.
That is a cute story...and yes they do come right to your house. I should know! Your boys look so cute in those pics...
awesome! I was half way through reading your post and thought to my self maybe I will teach Maack about 911 and then I finished and I don't think he is ready just yet maybe one more year. Miss you guys.
awesome! I was half way through reading your post and thought to my self maybe I will teach Maack about 911 and then I finished and I don't think he is ready just yet maybe one more year. Miss you guys.
I just love how your posts flow. Always eye candy in picture and words. What a funny story. What cute kids holding hands walking down the sidewalk.
How do they always manage to call 911? Sam, you are a smartie! That's crazy that a policewoman really came to your house. Well, I'm glad to hear that both boys now know not to call 911 unless there is a true emergency...like a bug in your house! :) Your boys are TOO cute!
I LOVE this post Becky! The pictures are great and I loved the 911 story! You'd think the police officer would maybe smile or laugh a little :) How could you not?? You have such cute kids!!
I'm only laughing because that hasn't happened to me.....yet. I let Isabelle play with the phone all the time, too. Usually in the back of my mind I am thinking I hope she doesn't accidentally call 911. Maybe now I will stop letting her have the phone.
Post a Comment