December 7, 2011--the big golden birthday! Tyler turned 7 on the 7th and we had such a fun day celebrating! It was an 'off year' for birthday parties, so he'll get one next year. He was kind of bummed about that, of course, but in the end, I really do think he had a great day. And I know I loved not throwing a party...in December! :)
As it turned out, his school was hosting a Muffins for Moms breakfast on his birthday, so I was so happy I could go with him to start out his big birthday. We took cupcakes for his class too.
When he got home, he had two birthday cards waiting for him that had come in the mail from both sets of grandparents. They each had money in them and combined he had a decent chunk of change to spend. :) I told him we could go to the store that day to pick something out with his money. He was so excited. He had never been able to just pick out nearly anything he wanted! He picked out a Loopz game, a remote control hex bug, and a board game. He was thrilled! And he still had presents to open when he got home!
So home we went for birthday dinner, gifts, and cake. I have tried to make it a tradition that the birthday boy gets to pick out what they want for dinner, so this boy wanted his good old stand by of homemade macaroni and cheese, but the real kicker is that he wanted oysters this year too. Yes, you read that right. Oysters! He has become a HUGE oyster lover this past year and wanted nothing more than oysters for dinner for his birthday. But you see, that's not really something I make...so we ordered an order of fried oysters from a local restaurant as take out and then paired them with the macaroni & cheese and it was this birthday boy's dream come true!
And then it was present time and he was spoiled! He got a Wii game and his big present was a K'Nex coaster. It was for 9 year olds, but he was thrilled regardless. I knew he was going to need some help putting it together, though! :)
This is the Loopz game...it's pretty fun!
And then we had cake, and who doesn't love birthday cake! He wanted a rainbow cake so badly after he's seen lots of pictures of them, so I told him I would make one with four colors of his choice (since I reaaaaally didn't want to do all 8 colors and have that much cake!). It worked out great! And we paired it with some Blue Bell ice cream. I laughed because I realized that with the exception of the cake, Tyler picked a very Southern birthday meal--mac & cheese, oysters, and Blue Bell!
Yes, the 7 year old was not the only one who loved the birthday celebration. The 4 year old was quite a fan as well!
On the weekend, Garrett and Tyler got to work building the coaster. And let me tell you, it was quite a process! It took them Saturday evening and almost all afternoon Sunday after church. But it is awesome! They were all so proud of it, and rightfully so!
Happy 7th birthday to my firstborn! Tyler is honestly such a great kid and I am so blessed to be his mother. He is a peacemaker, always wants everyone to be happy, always plans activities for everyone to do together--because his favorite thing in the whole world is when we're all together. He is become a huge sports enthusiast and loves learning about EVERY thing (just like his dad!). He has had a great year in school and is such a blessing to our family. I can't imagine life without him!





















1 comment:
Looks like fun!
Post a Comment