Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mardi Gras Madness...

OK, repeat after me..."I will update this blog, I will update this blog, I will update this blog." Phew, much better. Wow, I'm struggling keeping up here, if you haven't noticed. If you're even still reading this, that is. But here's another post--I'm trying, I promise!!

So, to start our wrap up of this year's Mardi Gras... I mentioned previously that Garrett's parents came to visit us for Mardi Gras this year and we had such a great time with them. The only downfall is that they brought the freezing cold temperatures with them. :) Seriously, it was the coldest Mardi Gras week EVER! And we had some good rain mixed in there too. Not the greatest weather, but we still managed to have a great time.

So, on a rainy day, we decided it was perfect for visiting Mardi Gras World. It is really a fascinating place to visit and see them working on staging the floats to send out to the parade route. It is amazing how much work goes into these. Seriously amazing--and knowing it's all for one trip down the parade route is kind of crazy. There are about 60 parades in the area during Carnival season (about 3 weeks before Mardi Gras). So that amounts to a lot of work and money spent...

So we got up close and personal with some Mardi Gras props.




And in case you didn't hear--the Saints won the Super Bowl one week before Mardi Gras.... People referred to this year as Lombardi Gras as opposed to Mardi Gras. There was definitely a Saints them to EVERYthing this year (and you'll see that in the pictures).



The most amusing part to me was seeing the floats from Muses up close and personal. It is an all women's krewe and their floats are very funny and their theme this year was something about romance tips. So here are a few pictures of their floats. The first is their signature shoe. Their signature throw is a decorated shoe or shoe beads. The royalty rides in this shoe and it's all lit up with tons of lights since the parade is at night.









We had a great time and there's more to come! I'm getting there, I promise!

4 comments:

Lori Davis said...

Please let it be me that joins you next year!! This looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

We had such a good time in spite of the freezing cold weather. It was such an amazing thing and something we would never experience without you guys. So much tradition there. There is always alot to see and do there and usually it has been beautiful weather. So glad we got to come see you guys. love grandma t

Henricksen Family said...

so fun I miss that so much.

The Nielsen Family said...

I personally like the toliet seat down as the most romantic thing.

Love the new camera and how awesome it is with those vibrant colors!